Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
new files
#47845 02/06/18 03:59 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.12.6

I'm still finding new files which I never had on my last imac as far as I know.

HD>system>library>accounts, I find 5 different folders, Access, Authentication,
DataclassOwners,Notification and UI files which when any of them are opened, asked to be scanned by Trend Micro Auto virus to protect my Mac. Can someone enlighten me what I'm supposed to do if anything? I don't have that app on my computer.

And then HD>Users>Shared, there are several hundred files some are black with the letters 'exec' green coloured which all relate to mail I've received. Can I trash them?

And then there a few hundred more folders that when clicked, show an icon with the word SafariExtinstall on it. Can they be trashed?

Between those folders is something resembling a zip file which produces the same file as explained above. Can those be trashed?

If any of the above files can be trashed, what was their purpose?

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: new files
jaybass #47847 02/06/18 04:40 PM

I've got the same 5 folders in /System/Library/Accounts in 10.12.6, but they open with no pop-ups, and their contents all open in Terminal, also with no pop-ups, so I'm at a complete loss about Trend Micro. I see that they offer a free on-line virus scan; have you ever availed yourself of it?

As a general rule, you should NEVER touch anything in /System/Library unless you know precisely what you're doing.

Based on their location, you should be able to trash your items in /Users/Shared with no repercussions, but I'll advise you to wait for further input before doing so, because I've got no idea why that folder should be full of UNIX executables, i.e. your 'exec's, in the first place.

Where are you "few hundred more folders" located?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jaybass #47848 02/06/18 05:29 PM

In the past, after doing upgrades of hardware or software, I have found green-colored exec files too. In my case, they seem to be old files in formats that no longer exist and/or are no longer supported. They were not originally UNIX files but were documents.

As stated above, given their location, I would say safe to trash.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
artie505 #47851 02/06/18 05:50 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

artie,

Regarding those 5 folders, opening 1 and then clicking on those white coloured icons produces a window with 'open any files' and immediately another window appears with the heading 'GameCenterAccountsUIPlugin.bundle, and that happens regardless of which folder you open.

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 1.40.55 PM Hope this is visible.

I'll hold off of course and see what is the safe thing to do.

Those few hundred files are located HD>Users>shared...over 1300 of them.

I would think you have quite a few yourself.

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #47852 02/06/18 05:53 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

The screen shot of the pop-up didn't open, perhaps you can tell why.

jaybass

jaybass #47853 02/06/18 06:07 PM

To post a screenshot...
  1. Go to https://imgur.com/upload.
  2. Either drag your screenshot into the window or browse for it.
  3. Click on "Copy" in the next window to copy your screenshot's URL to your clipboard.
  4. Create a link using FTM's "Create a link..." tags...2nd icon from the left.

Last edited by artie505; 02/07/18 02:06 AM. Reason: Better format

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jaybass #47855 02/06/18 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: jaybass
Regarding those 5 folders, opening 1 and then clicking on those white coloured icons produces a window with 'open any files' and immediately another window appears with the heading 'GameCenterAccountsUIPlugin.bundle, and that happens regardless of which folder you open.

Allow me to reinforce Arties warning about messing with anything in the /System folder. It is the quickest way to rendering your system unbootable so unless you have a recent known good clone or like reinstalling your OS frequently — stay out of the /System folder. (Even an administrative account doesn't have sufficient access, except Read, to do much in there anyway.)

The responses you are citing are not normal and before you go any further I would strongly urge you to reboot your Mac — preferably performing a "cold boot" from a powered down condition. You may find a lot of the weird stuff disappears. After rebooting if the "open any files" or "Game Center…" persists try rebuilding the LaunchServices Database. There are several apps that will do this including the freeware OnyX.

FWIW I just looked in /Users/Shared on three different Macs running High Sierra and the folder was empty on two of them and the only thing in the third is a single folder labeled H&R Block containing a few IRS form update files. (That is the tax program I am using).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47861 02/06/18 10:57 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I will definitely take your advise re the system folder.

I did reboot into Safe boot, I don't see a cold boot, and after rebooting, the pop-up still persists but since I will not be using any of those files, I guess it won't matter,

The other files in shared, I trashed.

Thank you joe.

jaybass

jaybass #47863 02/07/18 09:22 AM

I would think you have quite a few yourself.

Out of curiosity, if you command-I (Get Info on) one of those "white coloured icons", what is your "Open with:" app?

I don't recall ever seeing anything unexpected in /Users/Shared, but since I don't really know why stuff turns up there in the first place, I don't know if my experience is normal or anomalous.

A "'cold boot' from a powered down condition" simply means shutting down and starting back up. Background: Of the three troubleshooting options
  1. Logging out/in
  2. Restarting
  3. Shutting down/starting up (cold boot)
2 gets deeper into your system than 1, and 3 gets deeper into it than 2, or, more clearly, shutting down/starting up is more likely to correct an anomalous situation than either of the other two options (which is why I routinely skip them and go directly to a cold boot).

A safe boot is an altogether different animal.

And, by the way, it sounds like you're no longer seeing those Trend Micro pop-ups?

jaybass #47865 02/07/18 03:10 PM

I don't see a cold boot,

Oops blush JARGON ALERT! A cold boot is a relatively ancient term, so ancient that only an old timers like me or a computer engineer is likely to apprehend its meaning. There is no Cold Boot menu option. A Cold Boot is initiated by pressing and holding the Power button until the computer completely powers down. Pausing several seconds then pressing the power button again to turn the power back on and boot the machine. (NOTE: The power down process is different on iOS devices, but the concept is the same.

Cold Boot (a.k.a. Hard Boot) where the power to the system is physically turned off and back on again, causing an initial boot of the machine. In other words the computer is completely shut down for a period of at least several seconds to allow the capacitors in the CPU to drain their electric charge and thereby completely erase ALL the hardware registers.

In modern computers, most situations can be cleared with a Warm Boot (a.k.a. Soft Boot, Reboot, or Restart which is under control of the Operating System and may not clear all of the hardware registers but in rare cases a Cold Boot may be necessary.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #47866 02/07/18 04:21 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

As I said, I still have the pop-ups. The default open with, is 'open any file' 1.4.1

As I also said, I don't know why I would need to open any of those files.

I will now do a cold boot as suggested by joe and see what if anything changes.

jaybass

joemikeb #47867 02/07/18 04:30 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

joemikeb,

I have just done a cold boot i.e. holding down the power button for 20 seconds and then pressing the power button again.

That pop-up is still there. Is it of any detriment to the computer's operation?

jaybass

jaybass #47870 02/07/18 04:57 PM

As I said, I still have the pop-ups. The default open with, is 'open any file' 1.4.1

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me that you were talking about the same pop-ups.

That "1.4.1" suggested to me that some sort of app might be involved, and, indeed, Mr. Google referred me to Open Any Files: RAR Support [v 1.4.1], which is in the iTunes (i.e. iOS) Mac App Store but is also available as a macOS app via a "View In Mac App Store" link.

The first Customer Review in both stores is...

Quote:
Nov 19, 2017
DBStevens
For what it’s intended, this app is fast and very useful. However, it’s caused problems by taking over ownership of files that should be opened by other applications. For example, double-clicking on an Adobe Illustrator file opens “Open Any Files” instead of Illustrator. After correcting that, a couple of weeks later it happens again.

The most frustrating instance was when “Open Any Files” took over Microsoft Outlook messages. That prevented Outlook’s and Spotlight’s search indexing, effectively disabling searching in Outlook. It took me me more than a week to figure out that this is what was wrong. I corrected that, but after updating to High Sierra, “Open Any Files” once again claimed ownership of this file type.

I know “ownership” isn’t the right word, but can’t think of the right word at the moment. What I’m talking about is if you “Get Info” on a file, “Open Any Files” shows up as the default “Open With” application.

This frustration has happened frequently enough that I uninstalled “Open Any Files”

BINGO!

Time for a search and destroy mission.

I still don't know what Trend Micro has to do with anything, but maybe expunging Open Any Files will make the pop-ups go away.

jaybass #47871 02/07/18 05:11 PM

I wouldn't think so. OpenAnyFile is a freeware app that purports to open a wide variety of file types but I have never needed it or installed it so I have no experience with it. Since there is no other app associated with those particular file types, OpenAnyFile steps in. MacOS and its associated apps may access those files constantly as a normal part of operation, but unless you are a software developer working for Apple, there is no reason for you to even know of their existence — unless you are of a curious inclination. But even then without specific detailed knowledge of how those files are used by MacOS their contents would have little meaning even to an experienced software software engineer or designer.

By-the-way the "white box" icon is a lego piece indicating a system component or executable file. The file extension ".bundle" on some of those files indicates a "package" file which is a special case of folder used for executable code and can be viewed by Control+click on the icon and selecting "show package contents".

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47874 02/07/18 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Since there is no other app associated with those particular file types, OpenAnyFile steps in.

At least in my instance, that's not correct.

The Get Info panes seen here are for the contents of /System/Library/Accounts/Access, which is one of jaybass's 5 folders, and the contents of the others also show Terminal as their default "Open with:" app.

Open Any Files is clearly taking "Any" waaay too seriously.

artie505 #47878 02/07/18 06:55 PM

The default on my system was originally HTML5 (a website building app) confused
(It may be time to rebuild my LaunchServices database. grin )

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #47880 02/07/18 07:27 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

artie,

I trashed the "open any files" and the pop-up has gone.

'Trend Micro' was worded at the base of the pop-up window.

Thank you.

jaybass

jaybass #47884 02/08/18 02:21 AM

I trashed the "open any files" and the pop-up has gone.

'Trend Micro' was worded at the base of the pop-up window.

Good news, happy to have helped, but I hope you no longer actually need that app (as was suggested by your having had it in the first place).

I guess I'm still curious about the "Trend Micro" connection, but since it's no longer of any consequence, I'm sure it won't make me crazy.

artie505 #48078 03/01/18 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I know “ownership” isn’t the right word, but can’t think of the right word at the moment. What I’m talking about is if you “Get Info” on a file, “Open Any Files” shows up as the default “Open With” application.

This frustration has happened frequently enough that I uninstalled “Open Any Files”

This is a Launch Services issue. And it's a bit of a beast to work with too. Even command line syntax is a pain. Apps register with it and get in line fighting for who gets to open what files. The most effective way to get it out of there is to delete the app and then rebuild the launch services database. Even if you make changes in Finder, if the app is still there and something rebuilds that part of the database, it'll just reset again.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard