FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Page Error
plantsower #47946 02/11/18 09:45 PM

Bummer!

I wonder what's to be learned from your trying to get into your site from your husband's PC?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #47947 02/11/18 09:49 PM
OP Offline

Oh, good idea. I can’t right now but I will write that down and try it. Thanks. Never thought of that.

Originally Posted By: artie505
Bummer!

I wonder what's to be learned from your trying to get into your site from your husband's PC?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47948 02/11/18 11:57 PM

I don't know if your sig is up to date, Rita, but your Safari version is one tick behind the times...s/b 11.0.3, which I believe came along with a security update, and your iTunes isn't up to date either.

Have you checked your updates tab in the App Store lately?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #47951 02/12/18 04:34 AM
OP Offline

My Safari is up to date I just neglected to update my profile. I don't use iTunes so I don't bother updating it. I have checked the updates in the App store and updated those things I was interested in like Safari, Sierra and Security.

I don't know if your sig is up to date, Rita, but your Safari version is one tick behind the times...s/b 11.0.3, which I believe came along with a security update, and your iTunes isn't up to date either.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #47973 02/13/18 05:39 PM
OP Offline

OK, I tried using my husband's computer. He only has windows 8 but I am not allowed to change it. I used Internet Explorer and Firefox with the same error messages. I cannot update because he doesn't want that, but I really don't think that's what it is. I wonder if it's the firewall on our router. We need that for protection so now what?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47976 02/13/18 08:33 PM

I have sometimes run into issues with web sites cause by the DNS (Dynamic Name Server) blocking suspect IP address or domains and it is not always easy to determine where the issue actually originates or where an error message is coming from. In this case the solution can often be as simple as switching to a Public DNS server.

On your Mac
  1. go to System Preferences > Network — click on the padlock at the bottom left of the window and enter the password for your account (assuming you have administrative privileges)
  2. Once the password has been entered click on the "Advanced" button at the lower right side of the window
  3. At the top of the next window click on DNS
  4. There will be one or two IP addresses listed (if the listed IP addresses begin with 10, 172, or 192 you are getting your IP addresses from your local network router and most likely that in turn is coming from your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
  5. Make a note of the IP address currently listed i case you want to resotre them in the future
  6. Select one or the listed IP addresses and click on the minus sign (—) at the bottom of the window to remove it.
  7. Repeat the process with the second IP address
  8. Click on the Plus Sign (+) at the bottom of the window and a null IP address (0.0.0.0) will appear. Click the P;us Sign a second time: These addresses must now be changed to the IP address of a Public DNS Server. There are several options but probably the most commonly used are:
    • Google: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    • Open DNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
  9. The next two steps are essential to effecting the change
  10. After entering the IP addresses click on OK at the bottom right of the DNS window.
  11. Click on Apply at the bottom right of the Network window
On Your iPhone and/or iPad:
  • Go to Settings > WiFi
  • Touch the Get Info icon to the right of the WiFi Network name
  • Under DNS touch Configure DNS
  • Touch Manual
  • Under DNS Servers touch the green Add Server button and enter the first of the IP addresses for your selected DNS server
  • Repeat for the second DNS server IP address
  • If there is another IP address already listed (probably beginning with 10, 172, or 192 touch the minus sign by that number to delete it.
NOTE: On iOS devices the DNS server is set on a network-by-network basis. I recommend that unless you encounter difficulties you only set your home and/or office network DNS server manually. I have occasionally encountered public WiFi networks that block access to any DNS server other than their own. Those same networks also blocked the use of VPN (Virtual Private Network) servers and Onion Routing probably in an effort to prevent their public network from being used for illicit purposes.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47977 02/13/18 09:06 PM
OP Offline

Thank you for that detailed information. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I used 8.8.8.8.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I have sometimes run into issues with web sites cause by the DNS (Dynamic Name Server) blocking suspect IP address or domains and it is not always easy to determine where the issue actually originates or where an error message is coming from. In this case the solution can often be as simple as switching to a Public DNS server.

On your Mac
  1. go to System Preferences > Network — click on the padlock at the bottom left of the window and enter the password for your account (assuming you have administrative privileges)
  2. Once the password has been entered click on the "Advanced" button at the lower right side of the window
  3. At the top of the next window click on DNS
  4. There will be one or two IP addresses listed (if the listed IP addresses begin with 10, 172, or 192 you are getting your IP addresses from your local network router and most likely that in turn is coming from your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
  5. Make a note of the IP address currently listed i case you want to resotre them in the future
  6. Select one or the listed IP addresses and click on the minus sign (—) at the bottom of the window to remove it.
  7. Repeat the process with the second IP address
  8. Click on the Plus Sign (+) at the bottom of the window and a null IP address (0.0.0.0) will appear. Click the P;us Sign a second time: These addresses must now be changed to the IP address of a Public DNS Server. There are several options but probably the most commonly used are:
    • Google: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    • Open DNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
  9. The next two steps are essential to effecting the change
  10. After entering the IP addresses click on OK at the bottom right of the DNS window.
  11. Click on Apply at the bottom right of the Network window
On Your iPhone and/or iPad:
  • Go to Settings > WiFi
  • Touch the Get Info icon to the right of the WiFi Network name
  • Under DNS touch Configure DNS
  • Touch Manual
  • Under DNS Servers touch the green Add Server button and enter the first of the IP addresses for your selected DNS server
  • Repeat for the second DNS server IP address
  • If there is another IP address already listed (probably beginning with 10, 172, or 192 touch the minus sign by that number to delete it.
NOTE: On iOS devices the DNS server is set on a network-by-network basis. I recommend that unless you encounter difficulties you only set your home and/or office network DNS server manually. I have occasionally encountered public WiFi networks that block access to any DNS server other than their own. Those same networks also blocked the use of VPN (Virtual Private Network) servers and Onion Routing probably in an effort to prevent their public network from being used for illicit purposes.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47978 02/13/18 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Thank you for that detailed information. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I used 8.8.8.8.

I thiiink you've got to use the pair, Rita... 8.8.8.8 on one line and 8.8.4.4 on a second line.

artie505 #47980 02/13/18 10:10 PM

The way the pair works is there is an intermediate server that routes the DNS request to whichever address is closer on the network. The automatic setting in iOS typically resolves to only a single IP address.

When you say, it did not work, am I correct that means you still did not get through to the survey site?

One last test I can think of. I know you don't want to use your iPhone for this but it is worth a trial. On your iPhone in Settings turn WiFi off. That will force the connection to go through the cellular data link. If that does not work and you are not logging on the site with a userid or userid/password combination the problem is definitely NOT your to solve. There has to be something on their site that is blocking your access. Remember that too often the phone tech support people are chosen from a pool of individuals with little or no computer expertise. Their only expertise being the ability to read a canned script of troubleshooting steps. (I know because I used to train Tech Support "engineers" for Microsoft)

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #47981 02/13/18 10:27 PM
OP Offline

OK, just tried with both lines and no dice.

Originally Posted By: plantsower

I thiiink you've got to use the pair, Rita... 8.8.8.8 on one line and 8.8.4.4 on a second line.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #47982 02/13/18 10:29 PM
OP Offline

Unfortunately I have a very cheap plan for now (I will be changing it in the future) and I don't have data included in it. frown When I do, (probably months from now) I will try to remember to try that.

As far as reading from a script, everyone I call reads from scripts including my insurance companies, Amazon and xm radio. Very frustrating.

The way the pair works is there is an intermediate server that routes the DNS request to whichever address is closer on the network. The automatic setting in iOS typically resolves to only a single IP address.

When you say, it did not work, am I correct that means you still did not get through to the survey site?

One last test I can think of. I know you don't want to use your iPhone for this but it is worth a trial. On your iPhone in Settings turn WiFi off. That will force the connection to go through the cellular data link. If that does not work and you are not logging on the site with a userid or userid/password combination the problem is definitely NOT your to solve. There has to be something on their site that is blocking your access. Remember that too often the phone tech support people are chosen from a pool of individuals with little or no computer expertise. Their only expertise being the ability to read a canned script of troubleshooting steps. (I know because I used to train Tech Support "engineers" for Microsoft)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #47989 02/14/18 04:18 PM

The way the pair works is there is an intermediate server that routes the DNS request to whichever address is closer on the network.

I've wondered about that for years but haven't found it important enough to question. Thanks! smile

I've got both the Open DNS and Google addresses in my DNS pane; are all four of them considered for routing or only the first two...Open DNS in my instance?

artie505 #47992 02/14/18 05:26 PM

Typically the search starts at the top of the list and goes in sequence from there.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47994 02/14/18 05:45 PM

Typically the search starts at the top of the list and goes in sequence from there.

So each additional address that the server has to search adds some time to the search and load process.

Have you got an opinion on whether the longer (albeit probably by a minuscule amount of time) search necessitated by my having both Open DNS and Google addresses entered in my DNS pane adds to or detracts from my browsing experience?

artie505 #48002 02/15/18 02:42 PM

Try changing the number order etc. of IP addresses in System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS and after each change using something like Network Utility X ($4) to ping a site by URL and by IP address and look at the average ping time. That will give you an idea of what works best from your particular location on that particular day at that particular time. Repeat that add different times on different days and you will arrive at a reasonable guesstimate of which is best on the average. Remember you will be dealing in probably > 10 milliseconds difference.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48004 02/15/18 04:22 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, but I think "you will be dealing in probably > 10 milliseconds difference" is really all the answer I needed. wink smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard