FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apple Mail - Junk Settings
#47990 02/14/18 05:12 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

For the last few weeks an important Sender has been going to my Junk Mail file. This is a person from whom I have received innumerable emails, over a long period of time, without issue. I have never assigned Junk status to this person although the emails say "You Marked This as Junk".

It appears that this may also be affecting emails going back to the Sender. If I respond to one of the emails marked as junk simply by using "Reply To", the Sender does not get them. Whatever the issue may be, I assume that I need first to change the status of this person's emails from Junk to Not Junk....and therein lies the mystery.

Everywhere I've looked, the advice is always to look at the Apple Mail header and click "Not Junk". However, I don't appear to have such a choice. My head is getting sore from all the scratching so, whatever counsel you can offer.......

Last edited by ryck; 02/14/18 05:13 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Apple Mail - Junk Settings
ryck #47991 02/14/18 05:23 PM

I know I've "unmarked" mail that had been marked as junk by Mail.app, but I can't remember how...nothing complicated, though. (I think it might have been simply clicking on the "Junk" radio button.)

This may work... Mail > View > Customize Toolbar allows you to add an "Add To Contacts" icon to your toolbar, and that should tell Mail that mail from that source isn't junk.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #47993 02/14/18 05:40 PM

Don't forget that your IMAP or POP server or even some intermediate server can flag a message as suspected junk and Mail's Junk Mail filter recognizes and by default honors that flag. This can be disabled inMail > Preferences > Junk Mail by UNchecking Trust Junk Mail headers in messages.

EDIT: I second Ira L's suggestion (following Post) of using Spamsieve. Fast accurate and seldom ever misses one way or the other.

Last edited by joemikeb; 02/14/18 09:00 PM. Reason: add Edit

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #47995 02/14/18 05:50 PM

You are correct. Sometimes "Not Junk" appears on the suspect e-mail and sometimes it does not.

In my case, when it does not, I see "Move to Inbox" as an option. Do this and it should be seen as non-junk in the future.

In the meantime, consider the excellent spam filtering software SpamSieve.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #47996 02/14/18 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Don't forget that your IMAP or POP server or even some intermediate server can flag a message as suspected junk and Mail's Junk Mail filter recognizes and by default honors that flag. This can be disabled inMail > Preferences > Junk Mail by UNchecking Trust Junk Mail headers in messages.

I think that situation can be alleviated by your marking your friend as a contact on your mail server.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #47997 02/14/18 05:53 PM

Thanks, Ira; "Move to Inbox" is what I've done but couldn't think of.

artie505 #47999 02/14/18 11:43 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
This may work... Mail > View > Customize Toolbar allows you to add an "Add To Contacts" icon to your toolbar, and that should tell Mail that mail from that source isn't junk.

I’ve done both of these and something worked. I had the Sender send me a test email, which arrived and went straight to the Inbox.

Originally Posted By: Ira L
In my case, when it does not, I see "Move to Inbox" as an option. Do this and it should be seen as non-junk in the future.

That was one of the first things I tried but, in my case, it didn’t deliver the desired result.

Originally Posted By: Ira L
In the meantime, consider the excellent spam filtering software SpamSieve.

I will try as because the “…whitelist to guarantee messages from previous correspondents are never marked as spam.” is interesting. However, I’m also wondering if the ISP’s filtering is the issue in which case I assume it’d be before SpamSieve could act.

I intend to talk to the ISP technical help tomorrow.

Last edited by ryck; 02/14/18 11:43 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #48000 02/15/18 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck

I’ve done both of these and something worked. I had the Sender send me a test email, which arrived and went straight to the Inbox.

I intend to talk to the ISP technical help tomorrow.

Before you go to the trouble of being put on hold by your ISP you ought to take a moment to figure out which of the steps you took solved your problem.

Since one is apparently Mac-centric and the other is apparently ISP-centric, a determination that the former solved your problem will save you from the call.

artie505 #48003 02/15/18 03:17 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Before you go to the trouble of being put on hold by your ISP you ought to take a moment to figure out which of the steps you took solved your problem.

Actually, my new ISP is pretty good about customer service and has a fairly large group of people dealing with issues. The last person I dealt with gave me an email I could use for future problems and the website has on-line chats, answered fairly quickly. My old ISP is in the midst of letting about 6,000 people go.

I also may have spoke a bit too soon about "problem solved" as the emails I received, and which went to my Inbox, were from an iPhone. This morning the Sender did two additional tests from the laptop (a Windows machine) in the office. Both had Windat attachments and both went to junk.

One wrinkle in all this is that the emails say "You marked this as Junk" which I would never have deliberately done. However, when I looked at my Tool Bar, the default layout has the "Mark As Junk" right next to "Trash". It's quite possible an email was assigned junk status in error. I have now rearranged the Tool Bar.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #48005 02/15/18 06:11 PM

What is it that tech support people say: "The most common cause of computer problems is 18" in front of the screen." wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
ryck #48072 03/01/18 01:00 PM

email addresses in your address book should be automatically exempt from junk mail filtering

add them to your addressbook

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard