FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apple Mail - Previous Recipients won't go away
#47960 02/12/18 08:37 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I changed ISPs and, when I set up the email account with the new ISP, I chose an mail address that begins with the same three letters as the old address. However, the entire balance of the address is totally different.

Someone at the old ISP has now been assigned my old address. That should be okay as I'm no longer with that ISP.

The problem is that Apple Mail will not allow me to fully remove the old address from Previous Recipients. When I type the first three letters of my new address the first choice is the old address. Then, if I'm doing something like sending a test email to myself, the fellow at the old ISP gets it. Grrrr.

I'm assuming that the old ISP parked something in a nook somewhere on my drive that causes it to persistently re-appear in Mail.

Any thoughts about I find and eradicate it?

Update: Problem solved. The address still lingered in an old record in Contacts. Once deleted from there, it stopped appearing at the top of the list. It does still show at the bottom under "Found in Mail" which, I suppose, is to be expected because there are old emails with that address.

Last edited by ryck; 02/12/18 09:33 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Apple Mail - Previous Recipients won't go away
ryck #47964 02/12/18 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Problem solved. The address still lingered in an old record in Contacts. Once deleted from there, it stopped appearing at the top of the list. It does still show at the bottom under "Found in Mail" which, I suppose, is to be expected because there are old emails with that address.

Try this to remove it even from the latter list (3 methods): https://quantumtunnel.wordpress.com/2010...ocomplete-list/

Re: Apple Mail - Previous Recipients won't go away
Urquhart #47987 02/14/18 03:48 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Urquhart
Try this to remove it even from the latter list (3 methods): https://quantumtunnel.wordpress.com/2010...ocomplete-list/

The unwanted address has been completely purged from the "Previous Recipients" list and I have run a couple of tests. It will still appear in the choice list as the first three letters are typed but only under a solid line and with the caveat: (found in mail). So I assume mail does a quick search to see if the address is elsewhere. Because it is no longer at the top of the list, it can't be accidentally used, so I'm good.

Also, as soon as the fourth letter is typed, it disappears.

Last edited by ryck; 02/14/18 03:49 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard