An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Way to delete contiguous multiple icloud.com?
#47889 02/08/18 08:24 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I can't see to select multiple photos from photos on icloud.com. whithout selecting one by one...So real tedious deleting them.

Also Pngs..screenshots.. deleting those required a box came up on screen to save, and have to tediously click save on each one..

Re: Way to delete contiguous multiple icloud.com?
kevs #47893 02/09/18 03:15 PM

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47898 02/09/18 07:19 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe that is great thanks. Never knew that. I'd been clicking one at time on phone for 3 years... but.. this post was actually about the online icloud.com photos.. Anyway to bulk select there?

Then I'm golden if you can figure that one out.

kevs #47899 02/09/18 10:38 PM

Since I have iCloud Photo Library turned on on all my devices, I do my editing, moving, block deletes, etc. on either my Mac or my iPad rather than directly on iCloud. So I have the full range of selection options available.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47900 02/09/18 10:46 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, but what about if you have to download 40 items, 40 photos that you took with your phone to the laptop/ desktop?

kevs #47909 02/10/18 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Joe, but what about if you have to download 40 items, 40 photos that you took with your phone to the laptop/ desktop?

For all intent and purposes they are already on my iPhone/iPad/Desktop/Laptop and do not need to be downloaded except to export them to another app or print them. The images on each of the various devices are optimized images for viewing in Photos, but when they are edited, it is the full image on iCloud that is actually edited. The full image is downloaded transparently when the image is exported from Photos. NOTE: this is only true for images in Photos. There can be a delay after taking a picture on the iPhone before it moves to the iCloud and from there to the desktop, but I find that it is only noticeable in rare circumstances — assuming a WiFi internet connection on both ends.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47910 02/10/18 03:35 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, lost me, did not understand a word! (unusual)

The original post about that when I'm in icloud.com, Photos, I can't see to contiguously select lots of photos/ video quickly. It's extremely tedious to click one by one 80 photos and video which I then download to my dekstop.

The tip you sent for selecting quickly for the iphone/ Photos was fantastic, I did not know that.. but does not work online with icloud.com

If I could get my photos/ video quickly to my desktop without icloud.com I would do it.(In theory airdrop should, but does not really work well for that)

kevs #47925 02/10/18 04:45 PM

On your Mac go to Photos > Preferences > iCloud and check the box labeled "iCloud Photo Library" then if you have plenty of storage available click the radio button labeled "Download Originals to this Mac", if storage space is limited click "Optimize Mac Storage".

On your iOS device(s) go to Settings > Photos and turn on iCloud Photo Library. Below that if you have enough storage on your iOS device for all your fill size images select Download and Keep Originals, if not select Optimize iPhone Storage. Turn on Upload to My Photo Stream. If you have a generous data plan turn Cellular Data ON, otherwise your libraries will only synch when you have a WiFi connection on your iOS device(s).

With these settings the contents of your Photos Libraries on all your devices and iCloud WILL for all intents and purposes BE IDENTICAL and will automatically remain that way. Any changes or edits on one device will within minutes be reflected on iCloud and every device attached to your iCloud account. You can select a group of images on your Mac or on your iOS device and do what you will with them and that action will be reflected on iCloud and all your other devices. The only reason to use Photos on iCloud would be in a case where you wanted to show your Photos and did not have your computer or iOS device with you.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47936 02/11/18 01:04 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, fascinating, I've never even clicked on the app Photos on my desktop. Before I dive in though, I'm getting this: what should I do.. don't want screw it up:

Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary”
You can open another library and set it as the System Photo Library in Preferences.

kevs #47944 02/11/18 08:44 PM

Interesting. I hadn't run into the before, but there is a very simple remedy:
  1. Hold down the Option key (⌥) and double click on Photos.
  2. At the bottom of the window that appears click on "Create New"
  3. Then click on OK which will create a new Photos Library in the Pictures folder of your account's home folder. (At this point you can take a tour of the current features in the current version of Photos if you wish.)
  4. Click on "Get Started" and you will be prompted to use iCloud Photos Library, Click on Use iCloud Photos Library.
  5. That is all there is to it — the download willstart immediately and depending on the speed of your connection and the number of images in the iClous Photo Library may take hours to days to complete.
  6. To save storage space on your computer go to Photos > Preferences > iCloud and click the Radio button labeled "Optimize Mac Storage"
From that point on you can access anything in the iCloud Photos Library directly on your Mac and any changes, deletions, edits, etc. will be mirrored on iCloud and assuming you have set your iOS devices the use the iCloud Photos Library on those as well. Updates are not always instantaneous and may take several seconds to several minutes to populate the libraries on all your devices but it will happen.

You will also find Photos on your Mac has some nice image editing features as well. Many of those features are available on your iOS device as well plus there are additional editing features unique to the iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, and iPhone X. ENJOY!

CAVEAT: The steps I outlined are present in Photos 3.0 on MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and I verified each step there I cannot verify them in earlier versions of MacOS or Photos.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47959 02/12/18 08:06 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, ok got it going, but: The desktop which had this issue.... is showing about 100 images that were deleted months ago; while the laptop and phone, and even icloud.com all match at 156 images.

The desktopsays 177 images, and 100 of those are old and gone, and conversely desktop is missing a bunch of other stuff the other three platforms have.

The other three say 156 images.

kevs #47962 02/12/18 09:39 PM

Before I wrote the instructions I gave you, I performed those same steps on a server I have where I had not previously setup Photos Library or linked it to the iCloud Photos Library to verify my instructions were correct. While I didn't check the count during the process there was a definite lag as the library was filled first with image placeholders and much more slowly the actual images. it took a bit over two days the new Library to entirely settle and now it reports 4865 images (4728 pictures and 137 videos) — the same as my regular desktop, my iPhone, and iPad and iCloud. I can only speculate on your current difference, that it takes a while for things to settle so you might wait a day or so and check again. If it still has not settled then we will have to dig deeper to find out why.

If you are interested in how much local storage is saved by choosing "Optimized" images the 4728 photos and 137 videos in the Photos Library on my Desktop occupies 25.3GB and the newly created library on my server occupies 21.3 GB optimized for iPhone X the Library and app together occupies only 1.04GB of local storage. I have no way of telling how much space the Library occupies on iCloud, but I guarantee it is a lot more than 25.3GB as those are the full resolution images, not optimized for a given platform.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47963 02/12/18 09:50 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, I'll wait a couple of days to see if things change.

All today the desktop is sticking very firmly to it's weird take.
But where do all these delete photos come from? I thought they were long gone! (don't take any compromising photos with iphone then.. then don't seem to really vanish..?)

That's a log of Gigs! Considering they have to be in your phone right? I only have a 16GB iphone 6.

Optimized is just save you 3 GB or so?

kevs #47965 02/12/18 11:16 PM

But where do all these delete photos come from? I thought they were long gone! (don't take any compromising photos with iphone then.. then don't seem to really vanish..?)

I don't know if this is applicable, but when I trash pics in Photos in Sierra they remain in the trash for 30 days unless I consciously delete them sooner.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #47966 02/13/18 12:32 AM

That's a log of Gigs! Considering they have to be in your phone right? I only have a 16GB iphone 6.

Optimized is just save you 3 GB or so?
confused I can't follow your math. If the optimized Library on the Mac is 25.3GB and that same library optimized for the iPhone is 1.03GB how does get reduced to a 3GB differential in your calculations? According to my calculations that comes out to a 98% reduction in size due to optimization. confused

Remember too, the 25.3GB Library on the Mac is substantially reduced from the size of the iCloud Library with the full resolution images in it.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47968 02/13/18 12:49 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, I was thinking of photos, not libraries. I'm not even aware there is a library? Where is this library, and why would a library be such a big file (unless that included images).

BTW while I wait on desktop....

1) Is there a way to quickly select contiguous images fast on non phone platforms? And if not then just do it with the swipe trick on the phone?
2) And whatever you do anywhere, should reflect later upon all other places?

kevs #47969 02/13/18 01:42 AM

Joe, I was thinking of photos, not libraries. I'm not even aware there is a library? Where is this library, and why would a library be such a big file (unless that included images).
in this case the Library is a special type of folder or package containing index files, several folders for specific purposes and if burrow down far enough, every image contained in Photos. It is named Photos Library and located in the ~/Pictures folder (where ~/ indicates your home folder). To view the individual folders and files within the Photos Library Control+Click on the Library and in the drop down menu that appears select "Show Package Contents". WARNING; you should NOT do anything to the contents of the Photos Library package or you risk damaging the structure and destroying the Library. If you want to manipulate the images in any way do so using the Photos app.
1) Is there a way to quickly select contiguous images fast on non phone platforms? And if not then just do it with the swipe trick on the phone?
2) And whatever you do anywhere, should reflect later upon all other places?

It is NOT a question of phone or non-phone platforms, rather MacOS or iOS devices. Any group selection tool available anywhere in MacOS will work in Photos on MacOS including:
  1. click on the first image of a group then Shift+Click on the last image in the group
  2. Click and drag a rectangle around a block of images you wish to select as a group
  3. Select non-contiguous images by holding the Command (⌘) key and clicking on the desired images
  4. Select a contiguus grpup of images using option 1 or 2 then select-out any unwanted images in the group using Command+Click
The "Swipe Trick" only works in Photos on iOS devices such as the iPhone and iPad. Photos on iCloud is intentionally neither MacOS or iOS it is designed to work on any computing device with a browser capable of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript which limits iCloud Photos' capabilities.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47970 02/13/18 03:13 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, in fact, I don't know why I did not test it yet, but indeed normal shift select works on the desktop Photos. Does not work though in icloud.

Everything going great, but I don't think Photos on desktop will resolve, pessimistic; will wait a couple of days, but it seems of whack, showing a lot of deleted photos. So.. wait a day or two and the... I could just copy the laptop Library right over to the desktop?

And Final: When it's all synced then if I delete a photo on one, it will sync all others: laptop, desktop, iphone and icloud?

Hence no need to open and log into icloud.com?

BTW, any idea why the desktop library has old photos, Maybe it got frozen?

kevs #47972 02/13/18 03:29 PM

I have no idea why the old photos are showing up. As Yul Brynner said in The King and I "'tis a puzzlement!". But to explore that issue further...
  • By any chance have those deleted images ever been on your desktop?
  • On your Laptop in Photos under Library > Recently Deleted look and see if those images appear there.
  • Look in the same place on your Desktop.
  • On your Desktop see if those images are listed under Imports.
In answer to your other questions:
  • Assuming all of your devices have the correct settings they will automatically and transparently synchronize. Think of it this way: the MacOS and iOS devices are all mirror images of the iCloud Photos Library. The settings I recommend for MacOS and iOS can be seen in these screenshots.
  • There is no reason to open the iCloud Photos Library unless you are on a strange computer (ie. not linked to your Apple ID) and want to show someone your photos.
  • Yes, you could replace the Desktop's Photos Library with a copy of the Laptop's Photos Library and that should work.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47974 02/13/18 06:25 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks good info. Well first thing? On laptop, Photos, I don't see word Library in the software Photos anywhere, maybe I missed it. (you were not talking about finder, Library correct?); you are saying within opened software Photos -- Library. I don't see it in menu or sidebar...

But I do see on laptop, Photos software on left ALBUMS, recently deleted, and in fact there are a lot of deleted images there. And a lot of those recently deleted are are the ones polluting the desktop version of photos.

Strangely on the desktop, Photos, there is no recently deleted on the left sidebar.

You tell me what you make of this, all over my head, and if you think I should just bring over the finder library to the desktop. And also should / can you permanently delete from the recently deleted? (ie empty trash) good idea?

Once the two are blessed/ harmonious in sync, I'll have follow up question at that point on your nice settings screenshot..., and your method of bribing photos into the system....

kevs #47975 02/13/18 08:21 PM

But I do see on laptop, Photos software on left ALBUMS, recently deleted, and in fact there are a lot of deleted images there. And a lot of those recently deleted are are the ones polluting the desktop version of photos.

wink (Clickable link)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #47979 02/13/18 09:52 PM

At this point I have no explanation for what you are seeing. I followed the exact same set of steps on my server and the resulting Photos Library is an exact duplicate of the Library on my Desktop — the only connection between the two being their mutual connection to the iCloud Photos Library. What you see on your Laptop and Desktop can be identical but will never be a 100% match to iCloud or iOS simply because MacOS supports features that are not available on the other platforms. But those differences are minor and the images and albums should be the same.

Once again I urge you to CAREFULLY check your Photos and System Preferences on both your laptop and desktop to verify they match my recommended settings as well as each other then for the time being leave both machines plugged in and logged onto the network for a day or two with Photos open on both. After that If the Desktop and Laptop do not reach consensus on the Library organization and content, manually replacing the Photos Library on the Desktop with a copy of the Photos Library on the Laptop. But my recent test proves that should NOT be necessary.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #47983 02/14/18 02:01 AM

And also should / can you permanently delete from the recently deleted? (ie empty trash) good idea?

In Sierra, if I go to Photos > Trash I see all my pics that have been deleted during the past 30 days, each of which has the number of days until permanent deletion next to it.

If I want to delete any pics immediately, I select them and then hit the radio button towards the top right of the page, which presents me with a "Do you really...Can't be undone" pop-up, and clicking "Yes" (or whatever) rids me of the pics instantly.

artie505 #47984 02/14/18 02:23 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Artie, I'm in Sierra, I don't see photos trash.

kevs #47985 02/14/18 02:29 AM

Sorry, kevs, my mistake; I was working from the sieve I call "memory"...should have said "Recently Deleted".

This is how it looks in Sierra. (I think it's clear, but if not, post back.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard