FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Page Error
#47902 02/09/18 11:28 PM
OP Offline

I've been going nuts trying to find out why I can't use a survey site. They say it's not on their end. I have this problems with two sites. The error message from the one site on Opinion Outpost reads as such: This could happen because you were either suspected of violating our terms and conditions or someone else already participated in this survey using this computer. They claim I am in good standing and there is no one else using my computer.

I called Apple who couldn't help and blamed the companies which I know isn't the case because others are using them just fine.

I emptied my caches, I accept third party cookies if I go to that site, I tried all the browser choices from my develop menu and nothing works. I also disabled my extensions but that wasn't it.

Any other ideas as to why I can't load certain pages on certain websites?

Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Page Error
plantsower #47903 02/09/18 11:57 PM

Hi, Rita,

Long time ... cool

Rather than trying to spoof other browsers via Develop, try d/l'ing Firefox, perhaps others browsers too, and see if you can get into your site via the real thing.

The few attempts I've made at spoofing have all been unsuccessful.

More: I just noticed "Sierra 10.12.5, Safari 10.1.1" in your sig, and I"ll suggest that you update to 10.12.6 and Safari 11.0.3, which may help.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #47904 02/10/18 12:14 AM

I concur with Artie re updating etc. Your problem could be Safari, with its and/or your Mac’s configuration. Have you tried another browser like Chrome, Firefox or Opera (to name just a few)? Any result will tell us something useful, even if it doesn’t unequivocally finger a culprit…

alternaut moderator
artie505 #47905 02/10/18 01:38 AM
OP Offline

Hi Artie: Good to hear from you. I already have the Tor browser and it didn't work. Would that not be enough?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

alternaut #47906 02/10/18 01:40 AM
OP Offline

I tried Tor. I did have try one of the "browsers" under develop for another problem and it worked but not here. So, I guess downloading the real deal makes a difference? I don't want to have to but I will if I need to. But like I said, Tor didn't work.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #47907 02/10/18 01:42 AM
OP Offline

Forgot to mention I am already at 10.12.6. I will change my info on FTM.

Originally Posted By: artie505
Hi, Rita,

Long time ... cool

Rather than trying to spoof other browsers via Develop, try d/l'ing Firefox, perhaps others browsers too, and see if you can get into your site via the real thing.

The few attempts I've made at spoofing have all been unsuccessful.

More: I just noticed "Sierra 10.12.5, Safari 10.1.1" in your sig, and I"ll suggest that you update to 10.12.6 and Safari 11.0.3, which may help.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47908 02/10/18 01:56 AM

In 10.12.6 you should have Safari 11.0.3, not 11.0.2 as per your sig.

Check the App Store to see what you're missing.

I can't say for sure whether or not Tor fits the bill, so I"ll suggest that you d/l Firefox.

More: Just to be sure, have you shut down/started up your MBP?

Last edited by artie505; 02/10/18 02:16 AM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #47911 02/10/18 04:39 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for the heads up. I will update Safari tomorrow. If that doesn't work and shutting down my MBP doesn't work, I will d/l Firefox. Crossing fingers.

In 10.12.6 you should have Safari 11.0.3, not 11.0.2 as per your sig.

Check the App Store to see what you're missing.

I can't say for sure whether or not Tor fits the bill, so I"ll suggest that you d/l Firefox.

More: Just to be sure, have you shut down/started up your MBP?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47912 02/10/18 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Hi Artie: Good to hear from you. I already have the Tor browser and it didn't work. Would that not be enough?

That's likely the problem.

When you use Tor, you send your traffic through the TOR network and you connect to the Web site you're browsing from not directly from your computer, but from a TOR exit node.

Let's say Jane uses TOR to connect to a survey. Jane's traffic goes through a TOR exit node. As far as the survey site is concerned, Jane is using that exit node, NOT Jane's home computer.

Then you connect to the same survey site. You go through the same exit node. As far as the survey site is concerned, you are using that exit node, NOT your home computer. But Jane has already used that exit node! So the survey site says "sorry, you've already done this survey."

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #47913 02/10/18 04:56 AM
OP Offline

Hi: I guess that could be the problem with using TORm but that was my backup plan. I usually use Safari which is having the problems, too. I am hoping to d/l Firefox tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. Thanks, Tacit.

Originally Posted By: tacit

When you use Tor, you send your traffic through the TOR network and you connect to the Web site you're browsing from not directly from your computer, but from a TOR exit node.

Let's say Jane uses TOR to connect to a survey. Jane's traffic goes through a TOR exit node. As far as the survey site is concerned, Jane is using that exit node, NOT Jane's home computer.

Then you connect to the same survey site. You go through the same exit node. As far as the survey site is concerned, you are using that exit node, NOT your home computer. But Jane has already used that exit node! So the survey site says "sorry, you've already done this survey."

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

tacit #47918 02/10/18 11:19 AM

I knew I needed to hedge on Tor, but I wasn't sure why; thanks for explaining it.

tacit #47926 02/10/18 04:46 PM
OP Offline

I downloaded Firefox but no go. Still getting error message.

Originally Posted By: tacit

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47929 02/10/18 04:56 PM

Have you gone through your cookies in Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Manage.... and deleted everything that sounds like it's related to your websites, and restarted afterwards?

plantsower #47930 02/10/18 05:01 PM

When you used the TOR browser, what security settings did you use? Did you try setting up another routing?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #47931 02/10/18 06:53 PM
OP Offline

Just tried it. No dice. frown

Have you gone through your cookies in Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Manage.... and deleted everything that sounds like it's related to your websites, and restarted afterwards?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #47932 02/10/18 06:55 PM
OP Offline

I don't know how to do that but I shouldn't have to use TOR. I d/l'd Firefox today and it still doesn't work. I also upgraded Safari. Not working for these sites.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
When you used the TOR browser, what security settings did you use? Did you try setting up another routing?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47933 02/10/18 08:48 PM

I agree that you should not have to use TOR but on the TOR tool bar click on the second icon inform the left (looks like an onion) and you will find...
  • The actual servers you are going through are shown on the right hand side of the drop down menu with selections on the left.
  • New Identity (⌘⇧U) — this will close all windows and session, restart TOR and establishes a new identity & routing.
  • New TOR Circuit for this site (⌘⇧L) — The screen should blink and a new set of routers appear on the right side of the drop down.
  • Security Settings — allows setting low medium or high security. CAUTION: Not all sites will work correctly on medium and high settings because javascript is disabled but it makes identifying either you or the browser almost impossible.
  • TOR Network Settings — Settings for countries that censor TOR, proxy and firewall settings.
  • Check for browser update — self explanatory
Unless you login with a userid and password or the sites have set cookies in your browsers, with medium or high security settings in TOR the sites should not be able to identify you, your computer, your browser, or your IP address.

If you have already answered this and I overlooked it, please forgive me, but have you tried going to those sites using Safari on your iPhone? Different router, different IP address, different cookies.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47934 02/10/18 09:31 PM
OP Offline

I went to the Security part of TOR and got a new identity. I was already at standard security, not the safest. It still didn't work.

I tried my iPhone (I had no idea it had a different router, IP address or cookies! I learned something.) I almost thought it was going to work but it said come back later. Maybe because I clicked on a survey from an email I had already tried. Next time I get a new email from them, I will try again. It's a pain to do it on the phone, though. A big screen pops up about cookies that covered a big part of the survey screen and I can't get rid of it. Anyway, wish me luck next time I get an email from them. We'll see how it goes. I really wish I could do it from my laptop, but oh well.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I agree that you should not have to use TOR but on the TOR tool bar click on the second icon inform the left (looks like an onion) and you will find...
  • The actual servers you are going through are shown on the right hand side of the drop down menu with selections on the left.
  • New Identity (⌘⇧U) — this will close all windows and session, restart TOR and establishes a new identity & routing.
  • New TOR Circuit for this site (⌘⇧L) — The screen should blink and a new set of routers appear on the right side of the drop down.
  • Security Settings — allows setting low medium or high security. CAUTION: Not all sites will work correctly on medium and high settings because javascript is disabled but it makes identifying either you or the browser almost impossible.
  • TOR Network Settings — Settings for countries that censor TOR, proxy and firewall settings.
  • Check for browser update — self explanatory
Unless you login with a userid and password or the sites have set cookies in your browsers, with medium or high security settings in TOR the sites should not be able to identify you, your computer, your browser, or your IP address.

If you have already answered this and I overlooked it, please forgive me, but have you tried going to those sites using Safari on your iPhone? Different router, different IP address, different cookies.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47935 02/10/18 11:12 PM

A big screen pops up about cookies that covered a big part of the survey screen and I can't get rid of it.

Is that "cookies" screen standard, or might it give you some insight into your problem?

artie505 #47937 02/11/18 01:51 AM
OP Offline

It's a part of the Opinion Outpost website though I never noticed it when I used my laptop.

A big screen pops up about cookies that covered a big part of the survey screen and I can't get rid of it.

Is that "cookies" screen standard, or might it give you some insight into your problem?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47939 02/11/18 02:24 AM

I was wondering if it maybe says something that might give you a clue about what's going on, and now, particularly, since it sounds like you've never seen it before.

artie505 #47941 02/11/18 04:10 AM
OP Offline

Right, I don't remember seeing it at all on my Mac but it sure showed up on my iPhone. But, no, I don't have a clue. That's what I have you guys for. smile

I was wondering if it maybe says something that might give you a clue about what's going on, and now, particularly, since it sounds like you've never seen it before.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47942 02/11/18 04:16 AM

...I don't have a clue. That's what I have you guys for. smile

Well, how about giving us a clue? Can you read that pop-up and tell us what it says?

artie505 #47943 02/11/18 04:38 AM
OP Offline

It's pretty long, but it just tells about third party cookies and about deleting cookies etc. It was in big letters and in my way. Now it isn't doing that. It just has a little section below that says "cookie Notice". I can click on it and then click "done" and it goes back down to a small block. So, honestly, that's not a problem anymore, at least at this time. Now I am anxious for another email to come in so I can try it from my phone to see if it works. It's better than nothing I guess. I don't like doing things like that on a phone.

...I don't have a clue. That's what I have you guys for. smile

Well, how about giving us a clue? Can you read that pop-up and tell us what it says?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #47945 02/11/18 08:57 PM
OP Offline

OK, I tried it from my phone and got the same error message. I give up!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard