An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#47788 - 02/04/18 07:54 AM Malware Via MacUpdate
Ira L Offline

Loc: California
The maker of Malwarebytes is reporting that the software updating site, MacUpdate, is unwittingly distributing software that contains a virus designed to use your Mac's CPU to mine for cryptocurrency.

Fortunately the free version of Malwarebytes can detect and remove this virus.

#47792 - 02/04/18 09:08 AM Re: Malware Via MacUpdate [Re: Ira L]
jchuzi Offline

Loc: New York State
Thanks for the heads up. Malwarebytes reported no problems for me. Also, I never download anything directly from MacUpdate. Instead, I either go directly to the developer's site or launch the app and let it update by itself.

OS 10.14.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

#48080 - 03/01/18 05:55 AM Re: Malware Via MacUpdate [Re: Ira L]
Virtual1 Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Ira L
The maker of Malwarebytes is reporting that the software updating site, MacUpdate, is unwittingly distributing software that contains a virus designed to use your Mac's CPU to mine for cryptocurrency.

Fortunately the free version of Malwarebytes can detect and remove this virus.

I've seen things I suspect of doing that popping up infrequently at random places. I'll visit a website and while the page is up I'll hear my laptop's fans start spinning up. Open activity monitor and find some web process running lots of CPU.

"OH I see what you are doing..." *CLOSE*

Moderator:  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb