FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anker USB 3.0 hub oddity
#47715 01/27/18 09:23 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I recently purchased an Anker 4-Port Ultra Slim USB 3.0 Data Hub. Two of the devices I wanted to attach to the hub are my OWC Mercury On-the-Go Bus-powered drives (One for Time Machine, one for Super Duper). I have never had any problems of any kind with the OWC drives.

However, when I connect them through the Anker bus, the show begins.

If both drives are connected to the hub, I get a continuous clicky-squeaky sound, as though the drive was failing. If I connect one drive to the hub and the other to my iMac, that sound does not appear…at least, not continuously.

However, once in a while, the drive will make the same sound but as a single strike. Also, without anything being done, the Time Machine drive will periodically think it’s been disconnected and this dialogue box appears.

Disk Not Ejected Properly
Eject “Time Machine” before disconnecting or turning it off.

I assume that means the Hub momentarily stopped providing power to the drive.

If that assumption is correct, is it also safe to assume that the hub just doesn’t have the juice to power either or both drives?

Thoughts?

Last edited by ryck; 01/27/18 09:25 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Anker USB 3.0 hub oddity
ryck #47718 01/27/18 11:07 PM

Do you have the model with the charger? If so, plugging it in will provide more power for the attached devices to draw from. If not, the power that the hub may supply will be in the order of 900 mA for all devices combined, which is about equal to one external hard drive. See respective ratings on each device. If the hub supplies e.g. 890 and the drive wants 910, or more extreme, then you will see power-related errors.

That hub seems nice for thumb drives (sticks), but for multiple hard disks it seems underpowered.

ryck #47721 01/28/18 03:16 PM

I have the Anker 6-Port, not self-powered (i.e., plug it into an outlet) USB 3.0 Data Hub. It was very highly reviewed, BUT I too have noticed that sometimes it seems to just go off. Most recently some devices I have plugged in to it get picky about in which port on the hub they are plugged. Fortunately the problem is very intermittent, but annoying when it pops up.

Also, it seems your TM backup is an OWC drive. Is it Seagate "spinning rust" (as joemikeb would say)? Mine is a straight Seagate drive, plugged into a USB port on the back of the iMac and every now and then I too get the ejection message you mention. Very quickly it re-mounts itself. I have attributed this to a Seagate problem as it does not happen with any other non-Seagate drives I use. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Urquhart #47722 01/28/18 09:19 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Urquhart
Do you have the model with the charger?

No....simple bus-powered, which I chose so that I wouldn't have yet another item to find an AC outlet for...and the additional cable clutter.

Originally Posted By: Urquhart
That hub seems nice for thumb drives (sticks), but for multiple hard disks it seems underpowered.

So, suspicions confirmed.....not enough juice. I guess I should assume that it's also not enough for my only other motorized device, an Apple USB SuperDrive.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Ira L #47723 01/28/18 09:35 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Also, it seems your TM backup is an OWC drive. Is it Seagate "spinning rust" (as joemikeb would say)?

Yes, the TM drive is Seagate and the other, for my SuperDuper backup, is HGST....a subsidiary of Western Digital.

Mine is a straight Seagate drive, plugged into a USB port on the back of the iMac and every now and then I too get the ejection message you mention. Very quickly it re-mounts itself. I have attributed this to a Seagate problem as it does not happen with any other non-Seagate drives I use.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to blame mine on the fact that the drive is Seagate, as it's been plugged into the back of my iMac since 2012 without any issues of any kind. The only difference now is that the Mac recently changed from an early 2008 20" iMac 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo to a 2017 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5.

Last edited by ryck; 01/28/18 09:36 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47724 01/28/18 10:23 PM

I've always had good results with Anker products so out of curiosity I looked up the 4 port ultra-slim USB 3.0 Hub with extension cord on their web site and found the following statement:
Originally Posted By: Anker web site
For a stable connection, avoid connecting high power-consumption devices, such as external hard drives. The hub will sync but not charge tablets and other devices that require a higher power input. [emphasis added]
I think that explains your problem. OWC sells a power supply for their enclosures for $9.75 which could cure the problem.

No such caveat is listed for the Anker 4-Port Ultra Slim USB 3.0 Hub with the 5V/2A dual purpose wall charger. But notice the charger is only 2 amps and a 2.5" 2TB 5400 RPM 2TB Seagate pulls 1.8 Amps in seek or write mode, so even the external power the hub would be marginal for even a single Seagate drive.

Neither HGST or Toshiba drives are as power hungry as Seagate which is why I always buy a bare enclosure and put my own choice of drives in it.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #47727 01/29/18 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
I wouldn't be in a hurry to blame mine on the fact that the drive is Seagate, as it's been plugged into the back of my iMac since 2012 without any issues of any kind. The only difference now is that the Mac recently changed from an early 2008 20" iMac 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo to a 2017 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5.

And that is when I started to notice the mysterious ejections with my long-time Seagate—a change to a newer iMac. I think there is some subtle (?) change in the USB voodoo and for some reason Seagate gets weird on occasion. As joemikeb notes, Seagate drives are different in their power requirements.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #47728 01/29/18 03:51 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

And that is when I started to notice the mysterious ejections with my long-time Seagate—a change to a newer iMac. I think there is some subtle (?) change in the USB voodoo....

Could be. I've since plugged both OWC drives into the back of the iMac and I'll see what happens. Not only is the TM drive a Seagate, it's the also the only reasonable monitor as it's the only one "always on". The SuperDuper drive is only fired up weekly to do the full backup.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47735 01/30/18 12:29 PM

A data point FWIW: I have an external Seagate HD that I use for CCC backups. It is connected to my iMac (USB 2) via a powered 7 port (USB 3) Anker hub.

Lately, and randomly, CCC would report that the copy failed as the drive could not be found or it was no longer mounted.

Reading this thread may have been my “ah-hah” moment. Even though the hub is powered, it still may not meet the drive’s needs (I know it will not charge my wife’s iPad).

At any rate, I did some cable swapping in hopes that cures my failure issue. I should know in 7-10 days and will then post back my findings.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #47736 01/30/18 02:52 PM

To clarify, my always on Seagate is not connected via a hub. It is plugged into a USB port on the back of the iMac.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #47739 01/30/18 04:01 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

....for some reason Seagate gets weird on occasion. As joemikeb notes, Seagate drives are different in their power requirements.

I wonder if OWC is still using Seagate drives in their portable drives which, I would assume, are mostly used in bus-powered mode by people on the road with laptops.

In my case, Seagate is only in my oldest OWC drive. I went to the OWC site and, while they don't provide drive names in the literature, the drive in the picture is an Hitachi.

Last edited by ryck; 01/30/18 04:05 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47743 01/30/18 09:22 PM

According to OWC's current specifications the drive in their 5400 RPM 1TB Mercury Elite Pro container is:
Originally Posted By: OWC
1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue Hard Disk Drive**

…snip…

**OWC reserves the right to replace or upgrade to equivalent or better components.

By the way at 1.4 Watts this particular western Digital drive uses 22% less power than the bare Western Digitals OWC is offering for sale.

I didn't look at other enclosures or drive capacities but I think OWC pretty much sticks to WD in their populated enclosures, unless the asterisk noted comes into play.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard