FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Camera advice
#47348 01/02/18 05:37 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

If I recall correctly, there are some shutterbugs in this forum.

Occasionally I need a snapshot of something I need to repair or some other household use. Maybe a shot of the dog to send someone. I didn't want to buy anything, as usual, so I found a ten-year-old Nikon Coolpix 7600 my brother owned. I can't get it to work. Got new batteries, plugged it into the Mac, took out the memory card. Still dark. No sign of life at all when I turn it on.

I know little about cameras. I've used them rarely and have never owned one. Do you think it's worth trying to fix this Nikon? Should I buy something cheap for $100? I've noticed that cameras are a big deal now and there are cheap ones all over the place. It would be something I would use sporadically. Advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Camera advice
deniro #47352 01/02/18 06:32 PM

Your choice will depend upon how fussy you are and how you plan to use it. If you are a serious photographer, nothing less that a DSLR will do, but if you use it only occasionally, and not to make prints bigger than 4 x 6, a point and shoot should do nicely. Many of these come with lenses that have a wide zoom range, a very desirable feature. You can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon, but Panasonic (Lumix), Fujifilm, and Sony, have some very attractive offerings.

How do you intend to use it?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
deniro #47356 01/02/18 08:16 PM

The Point and Shoot camera market has pretty much been taken over by the iPhone and Samsung and the latest iPhone 8 and X are seriously nipping at the heels of even the low end DSLRs. I don't recall your personal attitude ab out cellular telephones, but I now have a couple of friends who are using old iPhones without cellular service as point and shoot cameras.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47357 01/02/18 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
...I now have a couple of friends who are using old iPhones without cellular service as point and shoot cameras.

Precisely what I'm doing with my daughter's ex-iPhone 4.

Between its being a camera, and the public hot spots in the Subway, it's a wonderful alternative.

My iPhone is currently trending at about $9, and I use it for much the same purposes as deniro's. (By way of example, its pics are detailed enough for eBay postings.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #47363 01/03/18 03:50 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

This is is what my brother told me, that phones are replacing cheap cameras. But I don't have a cell phone and I don't want one. I'm not an iphone fan. I have no intention of giving Apple any more money.

This leads me into the land of $100 to $200 compact digital cameras, I guess, unless there's a way to fix the existing Nikon that I have. Do cameras get repaired anymore? Is it possible? Maybe not. I did some googling. There used to an independent store near me that repaired cameras, but I'm sure it closed years ago. Sign of the times. The tech companies want me to fill the Earth with more garbage and buy buy buy.

A look at B&H tells me someone fascinating marketing gimmicks are going on in cameras. Return of the instant camera? Film cameras, digital cameras, 35 mm cameras, medium format cameras, large format cameras, pinhole cameras, instant cameras, disposable cameras, red cameras, blue cameras.

Holga and lomography?

deniro #47365 01/03/18 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
This is is what my brother told me, that phones are replacing cheap cameras. But I don't have a cell phone and I don't want one.

This leads me into the land of $100 to $200 compact digital cameras, I guess….

Personally, I don’t think that’s a bad place to be.

At the time, your brother’s camera was pretty good….7 megapixels, 3 times optical zoom, et cetera. However, there are point and shoot cameras now, costing less than $100, that are much better - 10 or 12 megapixels, 4 times optical zoom, et cetera.

IMHO the advantages of resolution, and optical zoom rather than digital zoom, are worth thinking about…..even for periodic use. Believe me, if you decide to do a close-up of your pooch’s face, you’ll be glad it’s optical zoom and glad his whiskers are defined.

Also, your camera will come with some sort of warranty and, if you take even reasonable care of it, you’ll not likely be taking it to a repair shop anytime soon.

I have an elderly Olympus C-5500 Zoom (only 5.1 megapixels) that I keep around for quick shots. I have no idea how old it is but it continues working just fine.

Last edited by ryck; 01/03/18 04:02 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
deniro #47368 01/03/18 07:27 PM

This is is what my brother told me, that phones are replacing cheap cameras. But I don't have a cell phone and I don't want one. I'm not an iphone fan. I have no intention of giving Apple any more money.

I still remember the days when you were advised to keep a disposable camera in your glove compartment so you'd have a camera in the event of an accident, to document it. But nowadays everyone and their dog has a smartphone with a camera in it. Yeah, I'd say the smartphone proliferation has destroyed the low-end camera market.

I have a coolpix d510 right now, which I got specifically for its huge (42x) optical zoom. You won't find that on a cell phone wink I also DO appreciate the ubiquity/convenience of saving my photos and video directly to SD card too.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #47503 01/10/18 05:07 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Aha! Fresh Duracells got the old Nikon to turn on and mount on the hard drive. For some reason, my rechargeable Powerex couldn't accomplish the same.

There's a little card inside that reads 32. I was able to mount the camera in Windows 7, too, which I'm dual booting with 10.6. Not actually dual booting, I guess. I have to restart the Mac and choose the hard drive. GraphicConverter located the camera. I've always liked that program. Apparently the card is empty of pics, though there are files on it. I've never used these cards before or a camera that connects to a computer. The camera mounts like a hard drive, with a generic white icon. I guess I don't need a card reader.

I found a manual online. Trying to get past turning the camera on and setting the day and time. I pressed Menu, but so far no more progress.

Last edited by deniro; 01/10/18 05:07 PM.
deniro #47506 01/10/18 05:39 PM

The camera mounts like a hard drive, with a generic white icon. I guess I don't need a card reader.

Card readers are really for people who accumulate a large number of them and want to read them without having to bother with putting them into the camera.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #47515 01/10/18 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
The camera mounts like a hard drive, with a generic white icon. I guess I don't need a card reader.

Card readers are really for people who accumulate a large number of them and want to read them without having to bother with putting them into the camera.

I would add they are for people who don't want to bother with finding the cable to connect the camera or find space to balance the camera on the desk. smirk

I don't know about the latest and greatest iMacs, but those of the last few years have an SD slot on the back, in line with the USB, etc. ports. Very convenient.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #47516 01/11/18 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
I don't know about the latest and greatest iMacs, but those of the last few years have an SD slot on the back, in line with the USB, etc. ports. Very convenient.

My 2015 MBP has a card reader, but the 2016 model hasn't got one. (But Apple's got one for you...for only another $29. tongue

artie505 #47526 01/11/18 04:34 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Found a manual online, but when I try to print any of the pages I get the message, "Without the proper password, you do not have permission to print this document".

deniro #47528 01/11/18 04:44 PM

Still the Nikon Coolpix 7600?

If so, I'm able to print this manual, and Nikon Coolpix 7600 manual - Google Search links to any number of others.

deniro #47547 01/12/18 04:08 PM

Aha! Fresh Duracells got the old Nikon to turn on and mount on the hard drive. For some reason, my rechargeable Powerex couldn't accomplish the same.

That doesn't surprise me. Rechargeable batteries generate a slightly lower voltage, and lots of electronics can't tolerate the drop. AA (normally 1.5v with alkaline) are rated at 1.25v for NiCD, NiMH I think are closer to 1.37v. Stack several of those in series and the drop can add up to several volts, which is enough to prevent a lot of gear from running. Six alkaline AA make 9v but six nicad only deliver 7.5v.

Virtual1 #47561 01/12/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Rechargeable batteries generate a slightly lower voltage, and lots of electronics can't tolerate the drop. AA (normally 1.5v with alkaline) are rated at 1.25v for NiCD, NiMH I think are closer to 1.37v.

And NiMH, which Powerex are, have the added disadvantage that they lose a bit more of their power every day they sit on the shelf. When I was using NiMH rechargeable batteries I would always fully charge them immediately before any use. For some requirements, like a camera, I never used anything except alkaline.

Last edited by ryck; 01/12/18 07:06 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47627 01/18/18 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
And NiMH, which Powerex are, have the added disadvantage that they lose a bit more of their power every day they sit on the shelf. When I was using NiMH rechargeable batteries I would always fully charge them immediately before any use. For some requirements, like a camera, I never used anything except alkaline.

That can vary though. The spec is called the "self-discharge rate". I've had some batteries experience very little self-discharge.

On the other hand though, NiMH batteries don't like being stored at full charge. Many batteries you've seen or heard of swelling, that's what tends to cause it. Laptops that are always left on the desk on charge. iPads attached to walls as status boards that are always plugged in, etc.

My new quad's "smart batteries" will intentionally self-discharge (fairly rapidly!) to about 65% if you don't touch them for 10 days. They refer to this as "going into storage mode"

Virtual1 #47634 01/19/18 07:09 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

In recent years I moved to Panasonic Eneloops, which were considered a huge breakthrough when they appeared because they don't lose their charge as quickly as previous NiMhs during non-use. According to Wikipedia, "retaining about 85% of their charge for a year after charging". Which means maybe you can use them like alkalines, which also lose their power after non-use.

Some people dislike the hassle of recharging batteries. I don't mind. I'm not goofy about it, but I try to be responsible about the amount of stuff I buy and throw away. This seems like an easy place to do my part.

I don't have many uses for batteries. My book light burns through my Eneloops in about a week or so before needing a recharge. I lack a cell phone. My mouse is corded. I'm undecided about whether to use them in my Logitech Harmony TV remote.

deniro #47635 01/19/18 07:11 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I wonder if the charger makes a difference. I have one that I got many years ago from C.Crane. They have long stopped making this model.

deniro #47636 01/19/18 08:16 PM

I think the charger can make a difference and typically performance is directly proportional to price. My experience with Eneloops was not particularly satisfactory. They started out lasting almost as long as good alkaline batteries but every recharge cycle got shorter until I was recharging weekly or even more frequently. This was using two Panasonic chargers that came with the Eneloop batteries. I finally gave up on them and reverted to high grade alkaline batteries that I expected to last a month to six weeks in the same device.

Since then I have switched to a Matias wireless keyboard with a built in Lithium battery that reputedly lasts up to a year between recharges (I've only had it five or six months and it is still on the initial charge) and an Apple Magic Trackpad with its own built in Lithium battery that easily goes two to three months between charges. Both of those plug into a standard USB port for charging and have their own internal charge management systems.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard