FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
El Capitan issues
#47490 01/09/18 10:21 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Now working in El Capitan, I managed to inadvertently delete/remove one of the icons/apps resident in Launchpad and pretty much at the same time generated a blank icon/folder. The original app is still in Applications, but no matter how often I open and close Launchpad, the icon refuses to show up there. By the same token the blank icon/folder cannot be deleted by dragging to Trash or otherwise.

Also, all the folders are blue with no other options apparent. Is it possible to modify the color?

Does anyone know how to deal with these issues?

Add this to the previous ...

Now the App Store icon in Launchpad has a red circle with the number 2 on the periphery at 1:30. What is going on?

When I checked instructions on Launchpad, it advised that one could delete any application by clicking and holding down the option key. Wrong. That does nothing except make the icons wiggle.

I'm guessing that the best (= least aggravating) thing to do is just not use Launchpad and stick the Applications folder (alias) in the Dock.

Last edited by grelber; 01/10/18 04:50 PM. Reason: Additional concerns
Re: El Capitan issues
grelber #47521 01/11/18 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Now working in El Capitan, I managed to inadvertently delete/remove one of the icons/apps resident in Launchpad and pretty much at the same time generated a blank icon/folder. The original app is still in Applications, but no matter how often I open and close Launchpad, the icon refuses to show up there. By the same token the blank icon/folder cannot be deleted by dragging to Trash or otherwise.

Launchpad doesn’t have a live view of your Applications folder(s), but relies on a separate database instead, and caches that too. This database can be rebuild. (I believe it is tied to the Dock preferences, if you follow the procedure in the next link.) I have read about it “for Yosemite and later”, but haven’t had to do it myself yet.

Also, all the folders are blue with no other options apparent. Is it possible to modify the color?.

If you are referring to Labels, OS X Mavericks introduced tagging, which uses color more subtilely (a dot), but the tech is more powerful in many other areas (e.g. search and more-than-one tag on an item). They really did re-invent labeling.

Now the App Store icon in Launchpad has a red circle with the number 2 on the periphery at 1:30. What is going on?

It is letting you know that it found two updates for you. They copied this style from iOS, where many apps can show the number of waiting messages that way.

When I checked instructions on Launchpad, it advised that one could delete any application by clicking and holding down the option key. Wrong. That does nothing except make the icons wiggle.

They copied this style from iOS. The wiggle state allows certain changes. Apps downloaded from the Mac App Store will get an (x) in the upper left corner of the app icon, when in wiggle state, this acts as a remove button, but should still be available for re-download from the Purchased tab in the App Store app.

I'm guessing that the best (= least aggravating) thing to do is just not use Launchpad and stick the Applications folder (alias) in the Dock.

I quite like Launchpad for fast finding apps that don’t have a permanent spot on my Dock, by typing the first letters of its name in the Launchpad interface, to remove the non-matching icons from view temporarily. Better than swiping through 8 pages of near-unsorted icons.

Urquhart #47523 01/11/18 01:52 PM

Very nice research and reply....well done. cool

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Urquhart #47524 01/11/18 03:34 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Dank je.

When I quit and restarted, Launchpad got rid of the crap.
But I still have the App Store 'anomaly'. I take it that there's no way of disabling that annoyance (since I can't access the App Store on dialup). I suppose I could just trash the app, but that might be 'overkill' (should I ever find a use for it).

I take it that the folder cover colors cannot be modified. That pretty much sucks. I prefer the ancient system that allowed for such. I used to categorize folders with different colors for immediate discrimination of what's what. Now it just looks like a giant 'cornfield' of blue. (A tiny colored dot just doesn't do it for me.)

As a remnant from the other thread:
If I could actually locate the site of downloads (such as you provided previously) which would have URLs like https://support.apple.com/kb/DL****, life would be good. Is there such a treasure trove that's accessible?

grelber #47529 01/11/18 05:05 PM

I take it that the folder cover colors cannot be modified. That pretty much sucks. I prefer the ancient system that allowed for such. I used to categorize folders with different colors for immediate discrimination of what's what. Now it just looks like a giant 'cornfield' of blue. (A tiny colored dot just doesn't do it for me.)

Folders can still be customized via the "Get Info" box using a Paste over the existing blue folder. There are many, many sites that provide free alternatives to the stock blue folder. Copy one(s) you like and paste it in the Get Info for the desired folder.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #47530 01/11/18 05:19 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Folders can still be customized via the "Get Info" box using a Paste over the existing blue folder. There are many, many sites that provide free alternatives to the stock blue folder. Copy one(s) you like and paste it in the Get Info for the desired folder.

Thanks. Got any sites in mind? I can't even imagine how one might transfer a color choice to the upper-left icon in Get Info.

grelber #47531 01/11/18 06:45 PM

But I still have the App Store 'anomaly'. I take it that there's no way of disabling that annoyance (since I can't access the App Store on dialup). I suppose I could just trash the app, but that might be 'overkill' (should I ever find a use for it).

System Preferences > App Store > Uncheck: Automatically check for updates.
Besides that, you can selectively disable (hide) existing notifications about specific software updates you don't care about by control-clicking the update inside the App Store to reveal a hidden "Hide Update" option. It is not available for everything, though (some apps).
If you remove the App Store app from the Dock, then it will be mostly out of sight, and less annoying.

Besides custom icons, there used to be applications that provide themes with color schemes and other tweaks. Unfortunately, the new El Capitan security protocol blocks such applications from changing OS X, and those extensive applications won’t support anything later than Yosemite. System-wide pink folders automatically is no longer an option, but you may copy-paste a pink folder icon onto any folder you like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8VZaauq95E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDztfO8MisE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6EJPTgwa8c

As a remnant from the other thread: If I could actually locate the site of downloads (such as you provided previously) which would have URLs like https://support.apple.com/kb/DL****, life would be good. Is there such a treasure trove that's accessible?

The Wikipedia page for the various macOS versions usually have a ‘Release history’ section with links to notes and stand-alone downloads. [example] (Just the updates, not the full installer, though!)

Urquhart #47532 01/11/18 09:27 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Urquhart

System Preferences > App Store > Uncheck: Automatically check for updates.

Did that. It works.

Besides that, you can selectively disable (hide) existing notifications about specific software updates you don't care about by control-clicking the update inside the App Store to reveal a hidden "Hide Update" option. It is not available for everything, though (some apps).

Since I can't load App Store in finite time, I can't locate any update in order to hide it.

Ancillary query: Along those lines is there any way to disable Notifications completely and/or to eliminate its little icon in the menu bar?

If you remove the App Store app from the Dock, then it will be mostly out of sight, and less annoying.

It was never in the Dock. Whenever I access Launchpad, it shows up with the red-2 excrescence. mad

The Wikipedia page for the various macOS versions usually have a ‘Release history’ section with links to notes and stand-alone downloads. [example] (Just the updates, not the full installer, though!)

I would never thought to have looked there. Kinda cool. cool

Very sad that the folder color issue cannot be resolved. frown

Otra vez, ¡Muchísimas gracias!

grelber #47533 01/11/18 10:54 PM

Since I can't load App Store in finite time, I can't locate any update in order to hide it.

It loads slow even on fast connections. I usually try to switch to the Updates tab immediately, so not to waste time loading the content of the Featured tab. Even then it takes its time to find out if this computer has new updates.

Whenever I access Launchpad, it shows up with the red-2 excrescence.

I hoped the setting to Hide of those updates would also reduce the number to 0 and so to not mention them on the icon anymore.
You can move the icon in Launchpad to the right side of the screen, to the next page, and the next, all the way to the last, and then one more (a new page for just the out-of-sight apps).

Ancillary query: Along those lines is there any way to disable Notifications completely and/or to eliminate its little icon in the menu bar?

You can set a do-not-disturb time slot, in which period no new notifications will appear, in System Preferences. If you set if from 7:01 AM to 7:00 AM or the like, it should be disabled (and greyed out) 24 hours a day. I haven’t seen a way to really de-activate it, or hide the menu icon, or move it out of the most right corner position.

Urquhart #47536 01/12/18 07:52 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Okey-dokey, on all 3 points.

Urquhart #47542 01/12/18 09:43 AM

It loads slow even on fast connections. I usually try to switch to the Updates tab immediately, so not to waste time loading the content of the Featured tab. Even then it takes its time to find out if this computer has new updates.

I dunno; even with grelber's slow Internet connection, the amount of time it takes the App Store to load doesn't seem like it should be a deterrent.

I wonder how long it actually takes?

More: If it's proportional to my 100 MB Fios, it's 30 minutes,

Last edited by artie505; 01/12/18 11:51 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #47543 01/12/18 10:23 AM

You're going to hate this, so I'll begin with a teaser.

The empty space at the right hand end of my menu bar is where my Notifications icon used to live, but I've both completely disabled Notifications and made its icon go bye-bye. (As far as I know, it hasn't been possible to make the space disappear since Yosemite.)

And the colored tags work just as they did before (albeit with ugly colors)...via contextual menu...no copy & paste necessary.

The hitch, though, is that you'll have to overcome your fear of Terminal to get the jobs done, but before you protest, despite earlier protestations you've very nicely adapted to OS X v OS 9 and any number of other things about which you've been apprehensive, so give me a listen.

To the best of MY knowledge (confirmation requested), the ONLY truly dangerous Terminal commands are those that begin with "rm", i.e. "remove", but the danger is mitigated by your up-to-date Time Machine backup, so any fear is basically unfounded.

So, if you'd like to dip your toe into Terminal, post back and I'll help you out...no "rm" commands involved.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #47546 01/12/18 02:26 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
You're going to hate this, so I'll begin with a teaser. ...
So, if you'd like to dip your toe into Terminal, post back and I'll help you out...no "rm" commands involved.

Terminal is (still) so far out of my comfort zone that I can't see myself getting involved with it. Maybe in my next life ....
But many thanks for the offer.

grelber #47626 01/18/18 10:57 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Just another Thank you for all the assistance in jumping 4 OSs.
Compared with my total freak-out when I switched from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X Lion some 6 years ago, this was a breeze and my limbic system didn't require nearly the amount of calmatives.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard