Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 40 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
Re: Our [next] president?!!
ryck #45955 08/10/17 04:09 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Maybe it's time that these adolescents stop trying to prove who has the bigger dick.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
ryck #45956 08/10/17 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Maybe it's time for someone to tell the two kids that the adults will now take over.

Sadly enough it appears their antics have been successful in driving out most the adults in DC and Pyongyang. According to a Washington Post article says that in a new poll half of the Republicans surveyed would be willing to postpone the 2020 election if Trump requested it.

Can you spell revolution?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #45957 08/10/17 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Maybe it's time that these adolescents stop trying to prove who has the bigger dick.

Corrections:
"adolescents" should read: "mental midgets".
"has" should read: "is".

joemikeb #45958 08/10/17 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
According to a Washington Post article says that in a new poll half of the Republicans surveyed would be willing to postpone the 2020 election if Trump requested it.

Incredible, just incredible. It supports something I've always thought: "Sometimes stupidity is invincible."

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #45959 08/10/17 07:39 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

According to a Washington Post article says that in a new poll half of the Republicans surveyed would be willing to postpone the 2020 election if Trump requested it.

Incredible, just incredible. It supports something I've always thought: "Sometimes stupidity is invincible."
IIRC, Nixon tried to float the idea that the 1972 presidential election (he was elected in 1968) should be postponed because the country needed him. I'm sure that enough stupid people swallowed this. As the saying goes, the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #45960 08/11/17 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
As the saying goes, the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

There's certainly an abundance of stupidity in the White House. Just as the U.S. is getting some backwater diplomacy going in order to cool things down, Trump stirs things up with a tweet that America is "locked and loaded".

Last edited by ryck; 08/11/17 02:24 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #45964 08/11/17 08:03 PM

There's certainly an abundance of stupidity in the White House. Just as the U.S. is getting some backwater diplomacy going in order to cool things down, Trump stirs things up with a tweet that America is "locked and loaded".

Trump would not be the first dictator or wannabe dictator to incite a war as an excuse for seizing power and suspending civil rights. Adolph Hitler was one the the more successful practitioners of that tactic, but there have been many others before and since. Fortunately none of them had nuclear weapons.

Unfortunately Trump does have nuclear weapons and it would appear that he may lack both the good sense and self control to not use them.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45966 08/12/17 07:48 AM

Unfortunately Trump does have nuclear weapons and it would appear that he may lack both the good sense and self control to not use them.

I go even further and say it's a certainty that he has neither the good sense nor the self control. In fact, in watching this unfold I wonder if he is being "played" by Kim Jong Un but doesn't have the wit to realize it. The North Korean leader seems to be doing what some of the candidates did during the Republican primaries - toss out some bait and watch Trump seize it.

Trump would not be the first dictator or wannabe dictator to incite a war as an excuse for seizing power and suspending civil rights.

I'm sure there are enough checks and balances that such a take-over wouldn't happen in the U.S. However, we certainly are seeing the hawk come out with Trump's newest threats about a "military solution" for Venezuela. What a dreadful irony.....a President who didn't have the gonads to fight in a war (five times draft dodger) who thinks he should find a reason, any reason, to send young men and women off to do so.

Last edited by ryck; 08/12/17 01:58 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #45968 08/12/17 10:10 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I think that you mean Venezuela, not Argentina.

Jon

jchuzi #45970 08/12/17 01:59 PM

Got it, made change.....thanks. We need a rule: "Stay awake while posting". laugh

Last edited by ryck; 08/12/17 03:40 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #45988 08/15/17 11:52 AM

Maybe it's time for someone to tell the two kids that the adults will now take over.

I was just thinking the same thing, but then it occurred to me... where are the adults? I could see China as a possible peer to NK, but who on earth would put Mr T in his place?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #45994 08/15/17 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I was just thinking the same thing, but then it occurred to me... where are the adults? I could see China as a possible peer to NK, but who on earth would put Mr T in his place?

Certainly the EU leaders have tried but Mr T ignores him. Mr T has expressed his admiration of Putin but that is just one bully's admiration for a bigger more successful bully.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45995 08/15/17 03:14 PM

Certainly the EU leaders have tried but Mr T ignores him*.

Well, what happens then is that the ‘spurned’ allies walk away from the US. The fact that Trump hasn’t yet replaced many of the diplomats he fired (or who resigned) after taking office hasn’t helped stop this trend, to the contrary. Heck, even US officials abroad complain about the lack of knowledgeable officials with sufficient authority in US diplomatic ranks to discuss important and time-sensitive issues with. This isn’t necessarily a new phenomenon with Presidential transitions, but one that clearly aggravates various other problems of the current Administration.

*) Inadvertent 'majestic singular'? tongue

alternaut moderator
joemikeb #46041 08/22/17 01:57 PM

Certainly the EU leaders have tried but Mr T ignores them.

He ignores everybody.

With a solar eclipse there is pretty much only one rule: Don't look at it with unprotected eyes. While Trump was being cautioned, "Don't look. Don't look", the the meathead looked anyway.

Hopefully it's dawned on someone that that's the answer to the Trump problem: Wait until he's on a bridge and yell "Don't jump. Don't jump". laugh

Last edited by ryck; 08/22/17 02:34 PM. Reason: Grammar

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
alternaut #46052 08/23/17 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Well, what happens then is that the ‘spurned’ allies walk away from the US. The fact that Trump hasn’t yet replaced many of the diplomats he fired (or who resigned) after taking office hasn’t helped stop this trend, to the contrary. Heck, even US officials abroad complain about the lack of knowledgeable officials with sufficient authority in US diplomatic ranks to discuss important and time-sensitive issues with. This isn’t necessarily a new phenomenon with Presidential transitions, but one that clearly aggravates various other problems of the current Administration.

Trump is running into a fundamental limitation of his policy. He doesn't hire people based on their knowledge and experience, his primary criteria is finding people that either agree with him or will follow instructions without question. (this requirement is incompatible with hiring based on knowledge/experience) Until now he's been replacing positions of authority and power here at home. When Trump dictates a policy, it just gets repeated by the yes-man he's hired, and those under him have to follow the new policy. That works fine (for him) in a pyramid-shaped system. Yes, it introduces incredible dysfunction in the system, but the wheels continue to turn, if even they head you off in completely the wrong direction. ("progress", but not the sort we like to see!)

This process doesn't work for diplomats. A big part of a diplomat's job is to negotiate with people. They can't just say "my boss said we do xyz, so YOU have to do xyz!" If you try that they will tell you to to get lost, and walk away from the table, and you have failed at your job. Maybe a few will bow to your demands, but for the most part they will laugh you out of their office. Trump just refuses to deal with people that he's forced to compromise with, and so he has no chance of finding an acceptable diplomat to post anywhere.

For the moment he's something of a dictator, but he's OUR dictator, and the rest of the world is just going to tell him to go pound sand. Trump doesn't tolerate people that can't get things done (which i suppose is a good quality?) and seems to recognize that it's a waste of time to fein negotiation, so I don't expect to see any of our resigning diplomats get replaced while he's still in office. No self-respecting diplomat would take the job, because it would be impossible (for anyone) to be an effective diplomat following his rules.

I foresee a mirror of this chaos when his term is over. There's going to be a great ruckus in the campaigning as to "who has the best / fastest plan to fix all the damage that happened over the last four years". Expect to hear a lot of that in 2019. On a normal election year, for the most part, partisan swap-outs don't go TOO overboard on a new administration. You'll see some of it of course, but the new head honcho is usually smart enough to realize "I don't like that guy and we don't see eye to eye, but he's doing a really good job and I'd be a fool to replace him", and so at least some measure of continuity remains between terms. BUT.... with Trump flushing/chasing so many people out the door, the backwash that results in 2020 is bound to be strongly partisan, and that's REALLY going to raise the stakes. It's not a matter of "Do I really want to replace this jerk that's doing a good job?", it's more like "I need to find bodies to replace all the incompetent morons surrounding me!" Expect to see a very conservative or moderate government emerge from the chaos, something that will have the usual back-and-forth oscillation for years (or decades?) to come before the waters finally calm back down a bit.

Virtual1 #46056 08/23/17 03:39 PM

I foresee a mirror of this chaos when his term is over. There's going to be a great ruckus in the campaigning as to "who has the best / fastest plan to fix all the damage that happened over the last four years". Expect to hear a lot of that in 2019. On a normal election year, for the most part, partisan swap-outs don't go TOO overboard on a new administration. You'll see some of it of course, but the new head honcho is usually smart enough to realize "I don't like that guy and we don't see eye to eye, but he's doing a really good job and I'd be a fool to replace him", and so at least some measure of continuity remains between terms. BUT.... with Trump flushing/chasing so many people out the door, the backwash that results in 2020 is bound to be strongly partisan, and that's REALLY going to raise the stakes. It's not a matter of "Do I really want to replace this jerk that's doing a good job?", it's more like "I need to find bodies to replace all the incompetent morons surrounding me!" Expect to see a very conservative or moderate government emerge from the chaos, something that will have the usual back-and-forth oscillation for years (or decades?) to come before the waters finally calm back down a bit.

It may take several presidential terms to undo the damage to the State Department and international relations Trump has done in six months by effectively neutering and dismantling the cadre of career diplomats that had evolved over generations. Rebuilding the many other federal agencies will be difficult, but nothing except long years of experience can replace the diplomatic corps.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46061 08/23/17 05:31 PM

It may take several presidential terms to undo the damage to the State Department and international relations Trump has done in six months by effectively neutering and dismantling the cadre of career diplomats that had evolved over generations. Rebuilding the many other federal agencies will be difficult, but nothing except long years of experience can replace the diplomatic corps.

Yep. experience, and trust, often a trust that has taken decades to grow.

Virtual1 #46064 08/23/17 05:58 PM

Yep. experience, and trust, often a trust that has taken decades to grow.

And trust can be lost in minutes if not seconds frown

— Albert Einstein
grelber #46067 08/24/17 07:18 AM

International news panel (Midori House on Monocle 24) has taken to referring to the President's public diatribes and other babblings as "blurts". Sad. But perfect. grin

joemikeb #46110 08/31/17 02:00 PM

As a Texan, you may have noted that Trump didn't say anything about this when he was addressing the flood victims in your state and pretending that he was on their side.

Last edited by ryck; 08/31/17 02:00 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Our [ex] president?!!
grelber #46316 09/15/17 08:05 AM

Finally he's got it figured out: Take on the Democrats' agenda to circumvent the GOP's problematic support. Turn DC into Marvel. laugh

Trump Now Says He Backs Deal to Protect ‘Dreamers’

'President Trump said he supported legislation to protect young undocumented immigrants while delivering a “massive” increase in border security but no border wall.' (And Smirk Schumer likes him too. Amy not so much.)

As Trump Bends on Immigration, G.O.P. Fears Breaking Point

'The president’s surprising alliance with Democrats on a “Dreamers” deal has elevated the one issue that most fiercely divides Republicans, threatening the party’s broader agenda.'

Next step: While politicos haphazardly scurry around like naked mole rats on tainted meth, the Bold One will obliterate North Korea and thereby consolidate his new base.

ryck #46322 09/15/17 02:43 PM

As a Texan, you may have noted that Trump didn't say anything about this when he was addressing the flood victims in your state and pretending that he was on their side.

It appears Trump and everyone in his administration is so tunnel visioned and short-sighted they are incapable of recognizing any interdependence between their actions and are so focused on NOW they are willing to sacrifice the future.

This seems to be endemic to the GOP. The administration in Austin is no better than the one in DC.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46335 09/15/17 11:05 PM

It appears Trump and everyone in his administration is so tunnel visioned and short-sighted.........

.....and mind-numbingly petty. Trump overturned a logical piece of legislation, that would have helped many people in the future and would reduce future damages/costs dramatically, for no other reason than it was an Obama concept.

Last edited by ryck; 09/15/17 11:06 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Our [ex] president?!!
grelber #46369 09/20/17 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
... Next step: While politicos haphazardly scurry around like naked mole rats on tainted meth, the Bold One will obliterate North Korea and thereby consolidate his new base.

Trump-dee-doo, Part 2

Remember: you heard it here first ...

At U.N., Trump Threatens to ‘Totally Destroy North Korea’

Aside: I always thought that Gaia (aka God of Earth) took only passive interest in earthly machinations. But could it be that the ushering in of a certain political age has angered her sufficiently to cause the end of days?! Certainly, the massive earthquakes and hurricanes, interminable wars of various ilks, not to mention Rocket Man, have caused many affected to reflect on what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah. Before the abyss opens, the religious centers of the world will be filled to overflowing.

Re: Our next president?!!
jchuzi #46380 09/20/17 04:36 PM

as twisted as it seems on the surface, Trump may be the one person in a position of power that is enough of a loose cannon to actually scare (or somehow force?) that brat into behaving... wouldn't that be an interesting legacy? Leaving an "all things considered, there IS one thing he did that the whole world actually appreciated..."
(so long as he doesn't somehow start WW3 anyway!)

Page 36 of 40 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard