FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
icloud flaw
#47213 12/12/17 11:17 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I just uploaded important excel file to files in icloud. I would assume if lost your laptop while traveling you could go to a public computer and log into icloud and view files, but is seems only offer a download to desktop, is that crazy? There is a info, view file, but the files come up as a small thumbnails and I can't see anything. Any tips? Thanks

Last edited by cyn; 12/13/17 12:36 PM. Reason: Topic moved from Mac OS X Applications to the Networking forum.
Re: icloud flaw
kevs #47214 12/13/17 12:14 AM

Whether or not there is a Preview depends on the operating system you are using, and on the Mac what view you are using. The best I can suggest is to open the file using the iCloud version of Numbers or if you are on a Mac, iPad, or iPhone the Numbers app on the device.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47215 12/13/17 12:45 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, the scenario, is if you lost laptop (only device while traveling), yet have some important excel files on icloud.com that you want to see (I memorized my icloud log in)

So you go to a public computer to see.. but even on my home mac, icloud.com I could only see excel files if I did the forced download to desktop. I guess even all public computers you could safely delete the file... and empty trash?

Ok but have point.. you can't count on every computer to be able to open or view my excel files ok?.. Ah.. then just keep trying defferent devices, ask hotel others...

kevs #47224 12/13/17 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
So you go to a public computer to see.. but even on my home mac, icloud.com I could only see excel files if I did the forced download to desktop. I guess even all public computers you could safely delete the file… and empty trash?

Ok but have point.. you can't count on every computer to be able to open or view my excel files ok?.. Ah.. then just keep trying different devices, ask hotel others...

I don't think I am communicating accurately or maybe I miss your meaning. What do you mean be "seeing" the files? I have no difficulty "seeing" the files themselves on iCloud.com by clicking on the iCloud Drive icon then navigating to the folder containing any file. If I double click on the file itself, it opens in the browser using Numbers for iCloud (which is resident on iCloud not the local device) and I can see the content. This can be done from any Windows, Unix, or Mac Computer, or any Pad or smart phone with a full featured internet browser and Javascript enabled (NOTE that is JavaSCRIPT, Java is not required. ) I just tried it and it works perfectly.

If you download the file you will need Excel, OpenOffice, Numbers or any other Excel format compatible spreadsheet application on that device to open and see the contents of the file.

NOTE: Numbers is capable of handling most major features of Excel, but not all of the more esoteric features. For those you will need a computer with a compatible version of Excel installed on it or on iOS devices the Excel app. (I have no experience with the Excel app so I don't know what its capabilities and limitations are.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard