Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dr Cleaner Pro
#47058 11/29/17 01:57 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.12.6

I downloaded Dr Cleaner Pro, a free software and It seems to work quite well.

I superdupered first just in case there might be a problem.

Does anyone have have any second thoughts regarding this app?

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: Dr Cleaner Pro
jaybass #47108 12/01/17 06:24 PM

Trend Micro offers multiple versions of Dr Cleaner. I went to their web site and clicked on the Dr Cleaner Pro link which took me to the MacOS App Store and Dr Cleaner Pro: System Clean for $14.99. Subsets of Dr Cleaner Pro, Ie. Dr Cleaner: Disk, Men Clean, Dr Cleaner Elite - Disk, Memory, System Optimizer are also MacOS Store products and free. If you actually got Dr Cleaner Pro: System Clean free then you got a bargain.

Nothing described in any of the three versions is unique and are available in other applications available from the MacOS App Store and elsewhere. IMO the primary differentiation between apps like Dr Cleaner Pro is more likely to be "look and feel" rather the functionality as most of what they do is based on MacOS command line (Terminal) Unix commands provided in MacOS. The various apps simply provide a convenient GUI for the command line functions (and MacOS is offering a GUI interface for more and more of the functions offered). I did notice at least one functionality in Dr Cleaner Pro (Securely [sic] File Shredder) that Apple has withdrawn because it may have a deleterious effect on SSDs.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47109 12/01/17 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I did notice at least one functionality in Dr Cleaner Pro (Securely [sic] File Shredder) that Apple has withdrawn because it may have a deleterious effect on SSDs.

Depending on how the SSD works, it may just up and move the file if you are overwriting it entirely. In which case you haven't securely erased anything.

I'm pretty sure Apple's stance on individual file encryption at this point is "just use full disk encryption - once the key is gone, it's just noise, it's instant, and it doesn't wear on your ssd"

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #47114 12/02/17 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I'm pretty sure Apple's stance on individual file encryption at this point is "just use full disk encryption - once the key is gone, it's just noise, it's instant, and it doesn't wear on your ssd"

Exactly right. File by file encryption and secure delete of files are both obsolete ideas with SSDs. Turn on full disk encryption, and you'll get all the benefits without excessive SSD wear.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard