FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Matias keyboard preventing Mac from sleeping
#47060 11/29/17 03:42 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I bought a new Matias Quiet Pro. When I put the Mac to sleep, then get up from my chair, it comes back on again.

I emailed Matias but they had no solution. He said I could turn it off instead of to sleep. I said that wasn't an option. He said try a powered hub. I already did and it didn't solve the problem. It's a Macally hub. Seems pretty cheap.

Too bad. Good key action on this $150 keyboard. I like that part. The left side of the keyboard slides around. The feet are slippery.

Looks like another return.

Re: Matias keyboard preventing Mac from sleeping
deniro #47064 11/29/17 04:35 PM

I had a similar problem for a while with a mouse. I finally figured out that I was jarring the desk when I got up and the vibration was enough to jiggle the mouse which woke the computer up — as it was supposed to do, just not when I want it to. Adjusting the mouse sensitivity fixed that but you can't do that on your keyboard. Try getting up very carefully without touching the disk and see what happens. (By-the-way, I love my Matias wireless keyboard, a battery charge lasts up to a year, there are no cords to get in the way, and it has a nice mechanical touch.)

I also recall for a while there was an app that monitored the camera and woke the computer when it detected movement. You might try putting a piece of tape over the camera.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47068 11/29/17 05:17 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

That camera tip is an excellent idea. I'll try that.

I tried moving very slowly. I've had this problem in the past. But it doesn't work. If there's a tiny bit of static electricity, it seems, then the Mac will wake up.

ETA. Nope. Didn't work.

Last edited by deniro; 11/29/17 05:19 PM.
deniro #47090 11/30/17 02:11 PM

Most mice and keyboards enter a "sleep" of their own after some inactivity, and require exaggerated use to wake up.

The wireless mouse on my retina will NOT wake up for movement, you have to click a button. So if the computer is screensaver and I bump the mouse, it won't usually wake up. Gotta click the mouse in the morning.

If your peripheral isn't doing that, your only recourse may be to replace it.

On a side-note, I've also seen other random peripherals keep computers awake... controllers, printers, scanners, and the like. Get an all-in-one unit and try to use its "copy" function to make a copy of a paper, and doing so wakes up the computer, despite not involving the computer at all. Or printers that when attached and powered on completely prevent computer sleep.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #47182 12/08/17 04:59 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Does anyone think a better powered hub would make a difference?

deniro #47185 12/08/17 10:23 PM

I have seen several otherwise inexplicable glitches fixed by changing a hub and a decade or so ago I came to the conclusion that inexpensive or bargain USB hubs were neither inexpensive nor a bargain in the long run. On the other hand, there is no guarantee a new hub will fix your keyboard problem.

Before spending any more money my suggestion would be to plug the keyboard directly into the computer and completely disconnecting the hub.
  1. If the problem continues to exist then it has to be the keyboard.
  2. If the problem disappears when the hub is completely out of the loop, then it has to be involved in the issue.
    • Before getting rid of the hub try a new USB cable between your iMac and the hub, then if the problem still exists it is definitely time to replace the hub.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47186 12/09/17 01:05 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

The keyboard was plugged into the computer from the beginning, so the problem exists whether it is plugged into the computer or a hub. Matias wanted me to try a hub. I have a powered hub that I bought this year but I quit using it because it seems like crap.

deniro #47191 12/09/17 06:19 PM

Now I understand your question. blush

A good powered hub might make the difference if the issue was caused by the keyboard receiving marginal to inadequate power from the USB port on your iMac, or if it is a static electric issue the powered hub would provide additional grounding protection.

On the other hand Macally has a good reputation, but I have not had any recent personal experience with the brand.

Since this issue is occurring both with and without a powered hub, in your position I would return the keyboard for replacement. (Actually that is not completely accurate. I would return the wired keyboard for one of Matias' full size wireless keyboards because I like the one I have so much. grin )

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard