Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Movin' on up to 27"
#46992 11/23/17 01:39 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

My old iMac has been running more and more slowly, with regular beach ball appearances, so I've bit the bullet and ordered a refurbished 27" equipped thusly:

2017 27" iMac
3.4 Ghz Quad-core 7th generation Intel Core i5 c/w Turbo Boost
Retina display
1 TB Fusion Drive
Radeon Pro 570 c/w 4 GB video memory
The OS will be High Sierra

Questions:

1. The OS is High Sierra but the main drive is a Fusion Drive.

a) Will the filing system be APFS or HFS ?
b) Should I care?

I checked my applications with Roaring Apps and most applications get a "Will work" rating. However:

Printer Software

I have a Canon Pixma MX 712 and Roaring Apps says pretty much all of my Canon software

However, at this site https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201465
it appears that Apple supplies third party drivers that will operate the printing, scanning and faxing functions of the MX 712 with the MX 710 series software.

Have I drawn the right conclusion?
Should I do anything to prepare?

Printer Hookup

Assuming my Pixma will work okay...I currently use a USB 2 cable. However, the new outputs are USB 3. Does it matter?

Other applications

Many applications are in Roaring Apps' "Unknown" list. Should I start updating them now, or wait until I do the Migration and see what does or doesn't work?

Ya, ya...a bunch of people just went: "Well, duh", but I ask because I don't want to get caught with an app that won't work and therefore not allow me to get an upgrade charge as opposed to a new software charge.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Movin' on up to 27"
ryck #46994 11/23/17 04:12 AM

Hello Rick,

For (1), it will be HFS, and you shouldn't care. The primary advantage to APFS, apparently, is improvement in performance on pure SSD. The fusion drive, which I also have on my 27" iMac, is mostly a spinning drive.

For (2), just let MacOS install the driver it wants to. It will automatically download whatever it needs from Apple. I have a Brother, but it all works just fine and Apple keeps the drivers up-to-date. I expect it would be the same for your Canon. As to USB 2 v. 3, with your 2 cable, it will default to 2 speeds. Frankly, I doubt you could perceive a difference. With USB 3, you'd just fill up the printer's buffer faster, but it has a mechanical limit to printing, imaging, and paper feeding that is likely far, far slower than USB 2 let alone 3.

For your other applications, sure no harm in checking. To be forewarned is to be forearmed, as the saying goes. If it were me, I'd update those apps that have free updaters and decide individually for the paid apps if I really needed them. I used the High Sierra upgrade as an opportunity for some housekeeping and to throw out old 32-bit apps that I haven't really used in a couple of years (or more).

I am sure you will love your iMac. I find the 27" Retina display absolutely stunning every time I use the computer.

ryck #46996 11/23/17 07:37 AM

Inapplicable content deleted.

Last edited by artie505; 11/23/17 08:58 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
David #46999 11/23/17 02:58 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: David
I used the High Sierra upgrade as an opportunity for some housekeeping and to throw out old 32-bit apps that I haven't really used in a couple of years (or more).

Thanks, David.

Good idea....I was thinking along the same lines. When looking through the Roaring Apps lists I realized I have quite a few apps that I used at one time but not so much anymore....if at all.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47000 11/23/17 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Questions:

1. The OS is High Sierra but the main drive is a Fusion Drive.

a) Will the filing system be APFS or HFS ?
b) Should I care?

APFS is currently not compatible with Fusion drives however the rumor mill says that may change in a future update to High Sierra. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a Canon Pixma MX 712 and Roaring Apps says pretty much all of my Canon software

I ended up downloading the latest available drivers for my Canon PIXMA printer, (Ithink they were for OS X 10.8 or 1.9) from Canon and it works just fine on my MBP running High Sierra.

Assuming my Pixma will work okay...I currently use a USB 2 cable. However, the new outputs are USB 3. Does it matter?

USB 3 is backward compatible with USB 2 and USB 1. If you need one there are adaptor cables. (You would definitely need an adaptor if it were USB C however smile )

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47001 11/23/17 05:01 PM

Re: " . . . I have a Canon Pixma MX 712 and Roaring Apps says pretty much all of my Canon software."

----------------------------------------

I have an HP-AIO printer from 2006 I still use with an iMAC and a MBPro. Apple sends me updates as needed, so I would think it is pretty safe to assume that Apple does so with most printer brands around . . . even a 10-year old one!

P.S. If you use Onyx for maintenance, there is a warning from the developers NOT to use "secure" erase in that application on a Fusion Drive. Otherwise, the other features/tools in Onyx are okay to use. smile

joemikeb #47002 11/23/17 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

USB 3 is backward compatible with USB 2 and USB 1. If you need one there are adaptor cables. (You would definitely need an adaptor if it were USB C however smile )

Carrying that one step further, the USB port on your printer fits a USB 2 cable that's compatible with the USB 3 port on your iMac; you'll get only USB 2 speed, though. (Same setup I"m running.)

Last edited by artie505; 11/23/17 11:27 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MG2009 #47003 11/23/17 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
I have an HP-AIO printer from 2006 I still use with an iMAC and a MBPro. Apple sends me updates as needed, so I would think it is pretty safe to assume that Apple does so with most printer brands around . . . even a 10-year old one!

Not to argue, but my experience was different. Apple offered no current driver support in High Sierra for my 6 year old Canon PIXMA IP4500, and referred me to Canon. The latest drivers available from Canon were developed for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), but to my relief, those drivers are compatible with High Sierra.

I just checked and Canon's site has been redesigned since the last time I was there, making it significantly more difficult to get drivers for OS versions other than the one you are actually using to access the site. crazy

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47004 11/24/17 01:04 AM

Apple has never provided a driver my 4 year old Canon ImageCLASS LBP6000; I've always had to go to Canon to look for updated drivers.

After reading your post I took a look at their website, and in addition to its now "detecting" which version of OS X/macOS you're running, it also offers a new dropdown via which drivers for other OS versions can be obtained.

Happily, I found a new, updated for High Sierra driver for my printer, but unhappily, it's still 32 bit, and I fear that Canon isn't going to support my printer with a 64 bit driver when it becomes necessary. frown

artie505 #47005 11/24/17 08:31 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I also have been to the Canon site and found three quite recent drivers (ICA, CUPS Printer, Scanner) as well as 6 software updates and a firmware update. With the exception of the firmware update, which turned out not to be needed, I installed everything.

I guess the 32 bit aspect accounts for why Roaring Apps still kept the printer's Scanner in "Doesn't Work" and everything else in "Unknown".

Well, the machine has shipped so I guess we'll wait for the delivery truck and see what happens with Apple. This site does say "Your Mac automatically installs third-party software (drivers) for the following printers and scanners" and the OS list is High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks.

Last edited by ryck; 11/24/17 08:43 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47006 11/24/17 08:44 AM

I guess the 32 bit aspect accounts for why Roaring Apps still kept the printer's Scanner in "Doesn't Work" and everything else in "Unknown".

The 32/64 bit thing isn't a factor in High Sierra...won't be one until the next version of macOS, so I dunno...

My 32 bit driver works just fine.

artie505 #47007 11/24/17 08:50 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Hmmmm. I wonder if the functional evaluation is related to the fact that the Roaring Apps app is beta. We'll see.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47008 11/24/17 09:00 AM

I don't waste my time with Roaring Apps or its ilk; I rely on my own empirical evidence for apps that don't mess with the OS, and on developers' status reports for those that do.

More: On the other hand, though, I'm not running any apps the loss of which would break my heart, and, anyhow, that's why we maintain clones and/or Time Machine.

Last edited by artie505; 11/25/17 08:01 AM.

ryck #47009 11/24/17 08:33 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone for some great advice and tips. I'm feeling much more comfortable.

Okay....so, new question - this one about Quicken.

I have been using Quicken since Attila the Hun was in third grade and I have a lot of accumulated data, which I would prefer not to lose. The last upgrade I have is Quicken 2007 although it has received many updates and, in El Capitan, works flawlessly.

About Quicken describes it as 16.2.4 (Build 25.886.100) and Check for Updates says: "You're Up to Date. Quicken 2007 16.2.4 is currently the newest version available."

Roaring Apps appears conflicted. In "Works Fine" it shows Quicken 15.0.1 but Quicken 2007 16.2.4 is in the "Unknown" list.

Perhaps it's time for movin' on......

My financial tracking needs are quite basic. I keep track of a couple of credit cards and need, once in a while, to pull up a report - such as how much I've spent with a vendor, when I purchased something, et cetera.

Quicken's only newer program for Mac is a $40 per annum subscription, which doesn't interest me. If I change to a new program, I assume it should be done before any Migration. So, to the questions:

1. Anyone using the old Quicken with High Sierra? What's your experience.

2. Quicken allows me to export a file called QIF (which I would do prior to Migration). Am I right to assume other financial programs will import it?

3. What are other folks using, other than Quicken, and why?

Last edited by ryck; 11/24/17 08:37 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47010 11/24/17 09:57 PM

I know nothing about Quicken's functionality, but I found Update on Quicken for Mac 2007 Support Policies (May 2016), which answers your compatibility question.

ryck #47011 11/24/17 11:11 PM

For several years I had used and recommended MoneyDance as a viable alternative to Quicken but because of recent glitches in their development and support I started looking around and found Banktivity 6 (formerly known as IBank). Banktivity's look and feel is different from Quicken (and MoneyDance) and took me a little while to adapt after using MoneyDance for over ten years, but I have grown to really like it and appreciate some of its more subtle features. Banktivity is feature rich in accounting functions including at least three different budgeting options. It is aggressively supported and their customer support is excellent and very helpful. It doesn't have non-financial features such as household inventory, but it does support at least three budgeting methodologies (I need to do more of that) and it talks to most U.S. financial institutions. For the user converting from Quicken or other financial apps it does a good job importing data exported from Quicken or QIF format. If you are interested you can download a free trial version that supports only a limited number of transactions.

If you want a look and feel closer to Quicken check iFinance 4 from Synium Software. For that reason alone, I likely would have chosen it when I made the switch, but it refused to talk to my bank (USAA).

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #47012 11/24/17 11:15 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
....I found Update on Quicken for Mac 2007 Support Policies (May 2016), which answers your compatibility question.

Yes, I had seen that site which confirms: No more Quicken 2007 support, and the day the OS doesn't work with it, I'm done. The only way out (there's nothing available in Canada except for Windows) is to enrol in a U.S. annual subscription, which is not for me.

And, even if I wanted to pay a yearly fee, Quicken doesn't even guarantee that my QIF file can be imported. They say: "If you have a data file from an older version of Quicken for Mac, you can attempt to convert the file to the latest Mac version."

I remain interested to learn what other folks have moved to.

Last edited by ryck; 11/24/17 11:26 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47013 11/24/17 11:22 PM

I wonder if this is worth a look? I wonder if it's still available?

It's apparently a $75 d/l, NOT a subscription.

joemikeb #47014 11/25/17 12:02 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I started looking around and found Banktivity 6 ...

It doesn't have non-financial features such as household inventory, but it does support at least three budgeting methodologies (I need to do more of that) and it talks to most U.S. financial institutions.

I'm good on the inventory front as I have Bento 4 and it will work with High Sierra. For budgeting, we have a fairly elaborate Excel spreadsheet that has developed over a few years.

If you want a look and feel closer to Quicken check iFinance 4 from Synium Software. For that reason alone, I likely would have chosen it when I made the switch, but it refused to talk to my bank (USAA).

This has appeal. The price is right and I like Synium Software, having used CleanApp for a few years. I think I'll download their demo.

Last edited by ryck; 11/25/17 12:03 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #47015 11/25/17 12:06 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I wonder if this is worth a look? I wonder if it's still available?

It's apparently a $75 d/l, NOT a subscription.

Thanks for finding this. However for me, wth the exchange, it'd be a $95 download and I'd be paying for a pile of functionality I'd never use. Also, I'm not crazy about Quicken saying I could "attempt" to import my older files.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47027 11/25/17 10:27 PM

It hasn't been that long ago that Intuit was looking for a buyer for Quicken and could not find anyone interested in taking over their 34 year old code base which had become so creaky and full of patches it was too expensive for them to maintain or enhance. Last year HIG Financial Services, a Miami based private equity fund, agreed to take it on and that is where the ownership lies today. Where the MacUpdate offering is coming from is a question I would want answered before I recommend investing $75.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47028 11/25/17 11:12 PM

The MacUpdate offering is Quicken 2017; clicking on "Purchase" gets you to Quicken.com.

As far as I can tell, it comes from the same source as Quicken 2018, the rental version.

artie505 #47029 11/26/17 01:34 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

At the Quicken site I found this disclaimer, somewhat disconcerting on this side of the border:

"Quicken for Mac 2017

There is currently only one version of Quicken for Mac, intended for use in the US; however, Canadian users can also use the Quicken for Mac 2017 product. Please note that although the US Mac version of Quicken may work in Canada, we do not provide support for it when used outside of the US."

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #47030 11/26/17 02:00 AM

Well, it's not like you actually wanted it, and that's not even sour grapes.

Aside: I don't know if you've seen this, and I"m wondering if you've run into the same issue? (You wouldn't have unless your keychain password differs from your login password.)

Last edited by artie505; 11/26/17 10:38 AM.

artie505 #47033 11/26/17 02:14 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, it's not like you actually wanted it, and that's not even sour grapes.

Although it would have been better all around if I could continue with the same program I've used for years. However, I have to think "Wow...that much to track a couple of credit cards? And, if I have an installation issue....it's tough luck, you're on your own."

Aside: I don't know if you've seen this, and I"m wondering if you've run into the same issue? (You wouldn't have unless your keychain password differs from your login password.)

I don't have the machine yet (expected delivery still a few days out) but I'm not expecting that issue. So far, for me, Cookie (V5.6.3) just pops up on it's own after I log in...no further input required.

Last edited by ryck; 11/26/17 02:15 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard