FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What use to secure you websites?
#46969 11/21/17 07:01 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Part of these new security questions is I was just forced to get a new webhoster for my website.

The old one I guess just did security for free.

Go daddy (new hoster) charges $60 year per website and scans for malware and includes malware removal and Google undo Blacklist.

Question: is this necessary, worth it, or is better cheaper alternative to them?

Brute force, the password I choose a site said would take billion years to crack, but they claim hackers could have multiple ips...

Re: What use to secure you websites?
kevs #46978 11/21/17 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
GoDaddy (new hoster)

Sorry to hear that. Somehow horror stories keep reaching me about how bad they are. Neither quality nor security seem any concern to them.

Urquhart #46983 11/22/17 12:50 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Godaddy is not bad, I like then on the whole: Do most hosters include this type of security? Scanning for Malware?

kevs #46984 11/22/17 04:37 AM

Most hosts include this for free. Hostgator, my preferred host, does.

GoDaddy has developed a reputation in the infosec community for being extremely careless about security, not responding to reports of security compromises on sites they own, and permitting sites to remain compromised for extended periods of time--sometimes months.

They used to have one of the best reputations in the industry. Since the sale, and subsequent push for higher profits, they have come to see security as a revenue stream, not as something that's part of a hosting business. Their security and abuse team has been reduced (because they cost money rather than generating money), and they have turned to selling "security services" that were once part of the cost of doing business as a hosting provider.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #46985 11/22/17 04:42 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Tacit, darn, well I just had a few minor sites with them, C Panel, and was able to move my important site and blog over there at no charge last week when my old host who were good, and were also sold are now bad. ( I have 1 1/2 years to go with Godaddy c panel, bought 5 years); and they have all my domains so it's under one roof.

1-When year and a half is up where would you recommend I go or just stay?

2-For the remaining time would you pay the $60 year for this?

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard