Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ad blocking used to work
artie505 #47070 11/29/17 05:24 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

There also seems to be some confusion, as I read others' complaints online, because there are two ways to access the Apple store. One with the App Store program, another through iTunes. I tried going through the iTunes store but it didn't work.

deniro #47071 11/29/17 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
$500 is too much. I can get a Dell for that. A Mac for $300 I might consider.

Yes, I plan to call Apple. There is an Apple store in town. Why can't they download it for me? They can but they won't.

I suspect that you'll find something in the $300 range if you're willing to gamble on a used or non-Apple refurbished Mac. I doubt that you'd object to one that's not cutting edge, but a pig-in-a-poke, though...I dunno.

There's something wrong with this scenario; Apple sold you Lion, so it's incumbent on them to deliver it! (What if you bring your iMac to the Apple store and get them to troubleshoot your problem? My experience has been that they're pretty accommodating.)

More: L. A. Computer Company is pretty well reviewed. (Refurbished Mac Mini)

Last edited by artie505; 11/29/17 06:01 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
deniro #47072 11/29/17 05:38 PM

There also seems to be some confusion, as I read others' complaints online, because there are two ways to access the Apple store. One with the App Store program, another through iTunes. I tried going through the iTunes store but it didn't work.

Have you got a clone that you can temporarily update to 10.6.8 to gain access to the App Store?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #47075 11/29/17 06:40 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Another excellent point.

Yes, I could update my OS to 10.6.8 and see if that makes a difference. Yes I do have my current system cloned via SuperDuper to an external hard drive.

deniro #47147 12/05/17 10:18 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank your very much for the suggestion to upgrade to 10.6.8, because it worked. Apparently there were some adjustments to the App Store program. The difference was noticeable.

I used 10.7.5 long enough to know that it isn't for me. Two obstacles, big ones. One, the jagged font problem recurred. Two, 10.7.5 was very slow on my Mac, quite a bit slower, quite sluggish. Moreover, I was unimpressed by the changes to the OS in 10.7.5 and was happy to return to 10.6.7. So I didn't lose any money to Apple.

I'm convinced that the jagged font problem was caused by a couple local guys who fixed my screen many years ago when it had some dead pixels. They must have installed a nonstandard screen or chip, or perhaps dropped syrup on the motherboard, or did something else stupid to cause my fonts to render improperly.

Financial plans were adjusted yesterday when I was told that my dog has diabetes. There will be the cost of syringes and insulin, twice daily, more frequent visits to the vet, and probably canned food to replace the cheap Iams I've been giving him. He's been a healthy dog until now. I walk him every day. I feel bad for the little guy, but I'm going to do whatever is best for him.

deniro #47148 12/05/17 10:28 PM

I feel bad for the little guy, but I'm going to do whatever is best for him.

Of course....it's the right decision.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
deniro #47151 12/06/17 08:25 AM

Thank your very much for the suggestion to upgrade to 10.6.8, because it worked. Apparently there were some adjustments to the App Store program. The difference was noticeable.

I used 10.7.5 long enough to know that it isn't for me. Two obstacles, big ones. One, the jagged font problem recurred. Two, 10.7.5 was very slow on my Mac, quite a bit slower, quite sluggish. Moreover, I was unimpressed by the changes to the OS in 10.7.5 and was happy to return to 10.6.7. So I didn't lose any money to Apple.

I'm convinced that the jagged font problem was caused by a couple local guys who fixed my screen many years ago when it had some dead pixels. They must have installed a nonstandard screen or chip, or perhaps dropped syrup on the motherboard, or did something else stupid to cause my fonts to render improperly.

Financial plans were adjusted yesterday when I was told that my dog has diabetes. There will be the cost of syringes and insulin, twice daily, more frequent visits to the vet, and probably canned food to replace the cheap Iams I've been giving him. He's been a healthy dog until now. I walk him every day. I feel bad for the little guy, but I'm going to do whatever is best for him.

Sorry to hear about your dog; just the sound of the word "diabetes" makes me cringe. I hope he fares better than my friends have. frown

Too bad about your screen! I wonder if your jagged font problem is maybe a combination of shoddy repair work + Apple optimization of OS X (because it did work through other updates/grades, didn't it)? The sluggishness is likely because of your minimal RAM...with which you're stuck.

Originally Posted By: Apple
We only promised that it would run; we didn't say "well".

You're supposed to see what you're missing and upgrade your Mac after you finish "ooohing" and "aaahing". tongue

Well, if nothing else, at least they didn't beat you for $20.

Hmmm... I know you've played around with Linux, but have you tried running the Windows version you like on your Mac?

artie505 #47160 12/06/17 07:05 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Interesting you should mention it. I did think about running Windows on this Mac because I have a licensed copy of Windows 7. I would like to try it. I hope I don't have to erase the hard drive again. I have to do some research.

I had to erase the hard drive when I was tinkering with 10.7 and in doing so erased Mint. I didn't use Mint much. Took a long time to boot. The interface was nice. I spent more time downloading and updating it than using it. For me Linux is a step backwards. It's a niche OS for highly motivated hobbyists with fast internet access. When to comes to troubleshooting, you are more or less on your own. People online have different experiences because they have different versions of Linux. So troubleshooting Linux, for me, was almost impossible. That part of it is a mess.

But Mint does work on my Mac. Fonts rendered well, YouTube played well, Firefox ran well but there weren't many extensions. Mint was quicker and more responsive than 10.7 by far, and that was 32-bit Mint. Wireless printing worked from the start, which shocked me. Mint takes a long time to get going but once you get it set up properly it does work, within many limitations. The biggest drawback is lack of software. Open source software is hit or miss. Mostly miss.

deniro #47161 12/06/17 09:21 PM

Interesting you should mention it. I did think about running Windows on this Mac because I have a licensed copy of Windows 7. I would like to try it. I hope I don't have to erase the hard drive again. I have to do some research.

Unless you formatted your boot drive APFS you should be okay.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
deniro #47165 12/07/17 07:54 AM

Just noticed this concern. I have a number of comments regarding same but they don't belong in this forum. Please switch over to the Lounge under the thread Canine Diabetes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard