An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#44088 - 03/21/17 04:35 PM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: grelber]
artie505 Online

At 8:32 PM EDT, "Current server time is: 03/21/17 04:32 PM" per my prefs.

Something's wacky, because the only place I can think of where it's 4:32 PM at the moment is Gilligan's Island.

It seems like the new server is in Los Angeles, and something somewhere hasn't compensated for daylight savings time (which I suggested in my OP).

In Memory Of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#44090 - 03/21/17 05:40 PM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: grelber]
MacManiac Offline

Loc: Paradise....on the central Ore...
....not sure where your time offset issue came from, as my previous offset of +1 remains correct for both the old server and the new.

#44091 - 03/21/17 05:51 PM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: MacManiac]
artie505 Online

My recollection is that the old server was in Mountain Time hence my +2 (now +4) in NYC, so shouldn't you, in Pacific Time, have been -1?

And if the server moved to Los Angeles, then you'd be even +1 for the apparent daylight time screw up.

Edit: If everything's working correctly, you're not +1 from anywhere in the US in Pacific Time.

Edited by artie505 (03/21/17 06:32 PM)
Edit Reason: More

In Memory Of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#44092 - 03/21/17 06:36 PM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: artie505]
MacManiac Offline

Loc: Paradise....on the central Ore...
Maybe my original setting was wrong and through a fortuitous turn of mis-settings, it is now able to correct for the server being on Pacific Standard incorrectly while the rest of the US (save Arizona of course) has sprung forward.....

#44095 - 03/22/17 08:29 AM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: MacManiac]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Maybe my original setting was wrong and through a fortuitous turn of mis-settings, it is now able to correct for the server being on Pacific Standard incorrectly while the rest of the US (save Arizona of course) has sprung forward.....
I figured either the server was on PST not PDT or located somewhere in Alaska.

Personally I think Arizona is right in eschewing Daylight Savings Time.

#44096 - 03/22/17 08:40 AM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: joemikeb]
artie505 Online

Thanks for clarifying Alaska Time; it appeared to be 2 hours earlier than Pacific Time on the first map I looked at.

#44097 - 03/22/17 09:15 AM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: grelber]
grelber Offline

Loc: North of 49th ||
Originally Posted By: grelber
Originally Posted By: tacit
Yep, the new server is in LA.

Is that LA as in Los Angeles (PDT) or LA as in Louisiana (CDT)?

Either way that's weird, given that my time zone is always CST (which is now equivalent to MDT) and therefore ostensibly only a 1-hour offset (+ or –) from the server. And yet, as noted earlier, I now require a +2-hour offset to make it jibe with local time.

And still no answer to this query and observation. confused

Thanks, all, for repeatedly ignoring my queries (while answering everyone else's). mad Glad to know where I stand.

#44098 - 03/22/17 09:21 AM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: grelber]
artie505 Online

Yep, the new server is in LA.

Is that LA as in Los Angeles (PDT) or LA as in Louisiana (CDT)?

Either way that's weird, given that my time zone is always CST (which is now equivalent to MDT) and therefore ostensibly only a 1-hour offset (+ or –) from the server. And yet, as noted earlier, I now require a +2-hour offset to make it jibe with local time.

And still no answer to this query and observation. confused

Thanks, all, for repeatedly ignoring my queries (while answering everyone else's). mad Glad to know where I stand.

No need to get snippy! tacit's the only one who can answer your questions authoritatively, and he hasn't weighed in yet.

But I think it's cystal clear that his LA meant Los Angeles, not Louisiana, and that the server isn't set to daylight savings time.

#44102 - 03/22/17 09:17 PM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: grelber]
tacit Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
The new server is in Los Angeles, not Louisiana. (I realize that was totally unclear of me.)

It seems like what one hand giveth, the other taketh away as far as speed goes. The new server has a much faster database behind it, but the SSL encryption does seem to slow things down. (SSL adds overhead to the Web page requests. Usually it's not a big deal, but since FTM's pages are dynamically generated, they have to be re-encrypted each time, and I think that's why it's slower.)

#44104 - 03/22/17 10:40 PM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: tacit]
artie505 Online

The new server is in Los Angeles, not Louisiana. (I realize that was totally unclear of me.)

I dunno; Louisiana never even crossed my mind until grelber mentioned it. I mean, when's the last time you heard somebody say "LA" without meaning "Los Angeles"...even in Louisiana? tongue

I assume that your confirmation that the new server's located in LA answers the daylight savings time question, too.

I think FTM is now slightly slower to respond, but it's in my face only under the circumstances I mentioned in post #44071; in general, even as it's a bit slower it seems a bit "snappier" at the same time. crazy

#44107 - 03/23/17 06:59 AM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: artie505]
Ira L Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: artie505
I dunno; Louisiana never even crossed my mind until grelber mentioned it. I mean, when's the last time you heard somebody say "LA" without meaning "Los Angeles"...even in Louisiana? tongue

Say "el-a"; write L.A., something native Californians are taught at an early age. wink

#46402 - 09/21/17 12:20 AM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: artie505]
artie505 Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
The persistent screen anomaly has reappeared for the second time since the server move, but the temporary ones are still MIA. (Both reared their ugly heads numerous times every day prior to the move.)

I can't imagine why this would have anything to do with the move, but...

Updating, the temporary anomalies eventually reappeared, but (and I hope I'm not jumping the gun here) I've seen no anomalies, persistent or temporary, during the 24 hours since I upgraded to Safari 11.

This was a strange issue, because I never noticed any anomalies on any other site during the six months I saw them here.

#46477 - 09/28/17 11:23 PM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: artie505]
artie505 Online

Well, I spoke a bit too soon. frown

I haven't seen this persistent screen anomaly in Safari 11, but these have begun appearing; they're mostly transient, but sometimes they're persistent.

#46874 - 11/17/17 09:15 AM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: artie505]
artie505 Online

And now for something brand new and completely different.

Wow! That's bizarre.

And I'm still seeing both of the other anomalies.

#46878 - 11/17/17 09:38 AM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: artie505]
grelber Offline

Loc: North of 49th ||
That's gotta be some sort of incompatibility associated with Safari 11. I've never come across any of those anomalies using Firefox.

By the bye, your 'sleep cycle' must have gone off-kilter. Not used to seeing your contributions outside of late-night.

#46879 - 11/17/17 09:50 AM Re: FineTunedMac Downtime [Re: grelber]
artie505 Online

I think I've been seeing those anomalies in Safari since v 10, and I seem to be the only one here seeing them. (It's not important enough to search for others.)

Nor do I ever see anything unusual at ANY website other than FTM. crazy

Yeah, I quit trying to fight my body and now wake up sometime between 10-12 for a coupl'a hours and a bite to eat, and then go back to sleep.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh