for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wireless network symbol
#46867 11/17/17 12:09 PM
OP Offline

My iPhone surprised me yesterday. I was at a gathering, located in some sort of community center. During the coffee break, I was looking at my phone, and it showed a symbol on the screen that I hadn’t seen before, in the list of possible wireless networks to connect to.

two interlocked chain links

What would be the meaning of it? I think it’s not listed in the iPhone symbols list on Apple’s site.

Last edited by dianne; 11/17/17 06:21 PM. Reason: Moved from the Networking forum.
Re: Wireless network symbol
Urquhart #46876 11/17/17 05:33 PM

I think those indicate a cell phone that is being used as a hot spot. For example, someone with a laptop is using their phones cellular service to connect to the Internet. Laptops don't have cellular service capabilities in and of themselves.

To connect requires a passcode generated by the phone in use.

Then again, maybe not… wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Urquhart #46881 11/17/17 07:16 PM

Two links of a chain connected is a common symbol to use to describe "paired".

Like if you have a bluetooth speaker set paired with your phone, I would expect to see that icon when listing bluetooth devices you have connected to in the past (to indicate that specific device was nearby and you were connected to it), or when scanning for nearby bluetooth devices to indicate which ones you are already paired with, or perhaps as the only icon on a button whose purpose is to pair with the currently selected device.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Ira L #46898 11/18/17 04:44 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
I think those indicate a cell phone that is being used as a hot spot.

That sounds plausible. Apparently my phone can then distinguish a ‘personal hotspot’ (internet tethering over wi-fi) from a regular wi-fi router. Which is impressive, unless that nature is broadcast along with the SSID.

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
a common symbol to use to describe "paired".

The symbol did show in a list “Select a Wireless Network”, while having “Ask to Join Networks” turned on (=seek alternatives for 4G). I was in a new location, and pretty sure I had not paired with any devices there previously.

Urquhart #46905 11/18/17 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Urquhart
That sounds plausible. Apparently my phone can then distinguish a ‘personal hotspot’ (internet tethering over wi-fi) from a regular wi-fi router. Which is impressive, unless that nature is broadcast along with the SSID.

My experience with cell phone hot spots is they typically have name like "Joe's iPhone" but the symbol is as shown here. But then I never have "Ask to join networks" turned on to conserve battery life.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Urquhart #46930 11/19/17 11:38 PM

If you mean the symbol like what's shown in the screenshot at

http://i.imgur.com/5PpMQ.jpg

It shows an ad-hoc network (that is, a computer or phone set up to act as a wireless access point).

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #46935 11/20/17 01:03 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: tacit
If you mean the symbol like what's shown in the screenshot at http://i.imgur.com/5PpMQ.jpg

Yes, that’s the one. Thank you.

Urquhart #46974 11/21/17 07:37 PM

in that case it means devices connected ("linked") to each other, and not necessarily to the internet

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard