FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pages Documents Won't Open On iPad
#46461 09/27/17 05:13 PM
OP Offline

I have about 150 Pages documents on my (wife's) 3rd Generation iPad Air v11.0.1

About 100 of these documents can be opened and manipulated normally. The thumbnail/icon for these documents is a document.

The remaining 50 Pages documents will not open and nor can they be Moved, Shared, Duplicated, etc. When trying to do so, Pages freezes to a blank white screen and then must be quit and restarted.

The icon for these recalcitrant documents is not of a document. Rather, it is the same orange icon- identical to that of the Pages application.

FWIW, these documents were all created on this iPad’s/Pages, and I am certain that originally they opened normally.

And finally, to the question. How do I fix this problem so that these documents can be opened?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Pages Documents Won't Open On iPad
Pendragon #46463 09/27/17 06:48 PM

I see the iOS version is 11.0.1. ...Is Apple's Files App installed on her iPad?

If no, download it from the App Store to see if it helps since Files links to files in iCloud. ...Not sure if it will help, but can't hurt.

Also, 150 docs is a lot. Maybe, you all are running into an issue with Family iCloud Storage Levels

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #46468 09/28/17 09:56 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
I see the iOS version is 11.0.1. ...Is Apple's Files App installed on her iPad?

If no, download it from the App Store to see if it helps since Files links to files in iCloud. ...Not sure if it will help, but can't hurt.

Also, 150 docs is a lot. Maybe, you all are running into an issue with Family iCloud Storage Levels

Sorry, kind sir. I thought I had replied, but clearly I hadn't. Must not have clicked on the Submit button...

With regard to the Files App: It is not installed, but as my beloved does not keep documents in the Cloud, I don't see how that would help.

I do find it interesting that all the "bad" documents are over a year old. Can they be expiring? That seems most weird.

Curious & curiouser-

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #46470 09/28/17 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
... about 150 Pages documents on my (wife's) 3rd Generation iPad Air v11.0.1

About 100 of these documents can be opened and manipulated normally. The thumbnail/icon for these documents is a document....
...I assume the reference is these 100 docs are opened / edited by iOS Pages on the iPad Air.

If I'm not mistaken, iOS Pages does not actually store its docs directly on an iOS device. (iOS Pages is syncing with iCloud. I don't know if there's a WiFi sync capability.) ...So, if an iPad's Pages is able to open (and edit) a Pages doc, that doc would have to been saved to iCloud. If there are no Pages docs at all in iCloud, then Pages docs would all created / edited on a Mac and those docs would be dimmed (not selectable for editing) to iOS Pages.

Suggest checking on the iPad Air and in the AppleID -> iCloud section what apps are using iCloud. If Pages (for iCloud) is off, then, consider turning On to allow iOS Pages to edit those iCloud, Pages docs (which can also be edited by Mac's Pages).

I also suggest using the Mac's Spotlight to see where the Pages' docs are residing as Spotlight will show files residing on the Mac and iCloud Drive (assuming an active internet connection for the Mac). Mac's Pages can save docs to the Mac's local drive (or, external drive) or to iCloud Drive. So when using the Mac's Pages, it depends on the location to where a particular doc was last saved.

When I open my iOS Pages on my iPad Air 2, Pages initially goes to my iCloud Drive to permit navigating to the particular Pages docs (in iCloud Drive) to be edited. When I open Pages on my MBP, it initially goes to a navigation window which permits going to a doc either on my Mac or iCloud Drive.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #46473 09/28/17 07:38 PM

The Pages file format has changed/evolved over the years, which may account for your wife's difficulty. Take a look at this Apple Support document on opening older iWork documents and see if that helps.

🤞

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46490 09/29/17 05:42 PM
OP Offline

So far, I have been unable to get any of suggested fixes to work. And I may have a clue for that. Sometimes, but not always, when I try to access a recalcitrant file, to move it, share it, etc., I'll get an alert/message that says this can't be done because the file does not exist. Sorta like trying to access an artifact, e.g., there's no there there.

I plan on going to the Apple store in 10 days to see if a Genius has a suggestion or two. While I am hopeful, I'll not bet on a successful conclusion. frown

Whatever the outcome, I'll post my results for the benefit of some other hapless soul.

Harv

Pendragon #46491 09/29/17 06:18 PM

What does a Spotlight search tell you, if anything, about the location of specifically-named, "recalcitrant" file(s)?

pbGuy #46493 09/29/17 06:30 PM
OP Offline

Neither Spotlight nor EasyFind can find them. Me fears that at one time they were in the Cloud and then somehow got deleted, ergo my hopes that a Genius can somehow access old/archived Cloud data.

And even if that [fanciful] notion has merit, bringing it to pass seems most unlikely.

Harv

Pendragon #46494 09/29/17 06:47 PM

Try looking... ~/Library/Mobile Documents/Pages/Pages folder

When I view the 2d Pages folder, in that path, on my local volume, I see all the Pages docs (copies, based upon Modified Dates) that Pages (on my MBP), as well as my iOS Pages, has saved to iCloud. [Same thing for my MBP's Numbers.] So, it appears the sync going on, is between respective, named files in iCloud (Drive) and copies being maintained, on the local volume, in that Pages folder. ...That's as far as my thinking takes me.

pbGuy #46526 09/30/17 04:57 PM
OP Offline

pbGuy: "Try looking... ~/Library/Mobile Documents/Pages/Pages"

Looked there. Nada.

On the plus side, the documents that are MIA are desired/nice to have, but not crucial. Still, I hope the Apple genius can tell me what happened, so I can (hopefully) preclude the recurrence.

Harv

Pendragon #46538 10/01/17 03:28 PM
wsp Offline

Pendragon:
I have the same problem of 'ghosting' of Pages files after upgrading to iOS 11.1
Any information you have after your genius visit will be much appreciated. There appears to be no information on Apple forums and there are no Apple stores near where I live.
Thanks

wsp #46539 10/01/17 05:52 PM
OP Offline

Indeed I will report back. That my wife also suspects 11.1 is noteworthy. I'll be sure to ask about that.

Harv

Pendragon #46546 10/02/17 01:39 PM

As an advisory, I'm using iOS 11.0.1 on my iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 7 - both having Pages v3.3 & Numbers v3.3. I've not experienced any issues with the respective docs I actively use and sync between iCloud and my MBP. (The referenced docs have been used ever since iOS Pages & Numbers was introduced.)

BTW, I'm sure your reference to 11.1 is simply a typo, as 11.0.1 is most recent update (as of this writing).

Anyway, I'll be very curious as to read about what's causing the issue being discussed.

pbGuy #46547 10/02/17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
BTW, I'm sure your reference to 11.1 is simply a typo, as 11.0.1 is most recent update (as of this writing)

I can't speak for anyone else but according to Settings > General > About, I am running 11.1 (15B5066f)
Click to reveal..
public beta grin

NOTE: Since installing iOS 11 (in my case the "Gold Master") at least three apps went wonky in one way or another, but so far any problem has been solved by deleting and reinstalling the app. I only noticed this after installing the Gold Master but not after any of the previous public betas. So if you run into anything otherwise inexplicable deleting and reinstalling an app is dead simple. If you go through Settings > General > iPhone/iPad storage, you have the option to...
  • Offload the app but keep its documents and data or
  • Delete the app along with its data
cool

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46550 10/02/17 06:54 PM

11.1 is a Public Beta, which may be subject to issues not found in published version 11.0.1.

pbGuy #46551 10/02/17 11:04 PM
OP Offline

Mea culpa. I was wrong. The iOS version my wife is using is 11.0.1.

Harv

Pendragon #46552 10/03/17 02:20 PM
wsp Offline

Pendragon:
Sorry to mislead you, my iOS version is 11.0.1

wsp #46568 10/05/17 01:57 AM
OP Offline

FYI: Updating to 11.0.2 brought no joy. frown

Harv

Pendragon #46570 10/05/17 04:27 PM
wsp Offline

Pendragon:
And offloading and reinstalling “Pages” didn’t change anything for me.
Best of luck with your genius visit.

wsp #46571 10/05/17 05:11 PM
OP Offline

It's now my guess that the Genius will suggest returning the iPad to factory settings and then reinstalling everything from a backup.

I don't hold much hope for finding those Pages documents that "no longer exist", but it should remove the ghosts/artifacts. Well, or so I hope (guess).

Harv

Pendragon #46572 10/05/17 09:11 PM

Interestingly enough, yesterday Keynote on my IPad threw a couple of "File no longer exists" messages from a pari of really old presentations. When I went browsing using the Files app, to my utter amazement both ended up opening in Keynote. confused

I can only speculate the links in Keynote had for one reason or another gone bad over time but Files was looking at what exists in the here and now but again that is only speculation and not an explanation. crazy

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46607 10/12/17 05:45 PM
OP Offline

I’ll try to be brief…

After 2 hours of Genius work at my local Apple store, The problem remained unsolved. The genius did say that he spoke with his mentor and that fellow believes that at least part of the issue relates the latest iOS update and while the problem noted is rare, it is not unheard of.

The genius then set me up (for the next day) with telephone help with a senior-er tech.

After an hour of clicking swiping, rebooting, restarting, and backing up, as well as a myriad of other machinations, still no joy. At this point I was transferred to what was termed an even higher level of senior tech.

Another 2 hours with this gent. By this time I must have clicked and swiped a thousand times, so I’m hesitant to say what “fixed” things, but here’s what happened (I think).

All the “good” documents were put in the Cloud. Then we erased (just) the Pages content and deleted Pages. After reinstalling Pages, the artifacts were gone, and as most all the purged dockets are of little value, my bride is at least comfortable with the conclusion.

I wish I had better notes, but things were at a most hectic pace. My apologies…

FWIW, at the conclusion of this final call, the tech did opine that it seemed to him as if “drive” had somehow gotten corrupt, sorta like a serious directory problem. He had no comment re my problem and the latest iOS update.

HTH

Harv

Pendragon #46608 10/12/17 11:15 PM
wsp Offline

Pendragon
Thankyou for the update concerning what must have been an exhausting experience trying to solve this pesky problem, also many thanks to other members of this forum who pitched in with good suggestions.
I always remind myself it feels like a miracle that any of this stuff works as well as it does.

wsp #46834 11/11/17 09:41 PM
wsp Offline

I found a fix on my iPad Air 2 for some Pages files that did not open after updating to iOS 11 that installed the Files app.
I reset “all settings”. To do this go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings.
There is no loss of files or data, but things like your passcode, wallpaper need to be redone.
My ‘dead’ Pages files came to life as each folder opened, I hope the same happens for you if you have been having this same problem.

wsp #46836 11/12/17 10:29 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for tip, WSP, but unfortunately, the recalcitrant files have since been deleted. On the plus side, these files are not badly missed.

Still, your suggestion is one I never would have divined, so it is good to know.

Harv

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard