Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Equifax vs. security
#46338 09/16/17 10:02 AM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

My information was not breached, at least according to Equifax's website, but for more info, read Equifax Breach: Two Executives Step Down as Investigation Continues IMHO, these credit-reporting agencies are too unaccountable and too lax. There should be some governmental oversight, but considering the current president, that won't happen. You Can’t Protect Yourself from the Equifax Breach is also informative.

Last edited by jchuzi; 09/16/17 10:04 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: Equifax vs. security
jchuzi #46339 09/16/17 10:40 AM

Well, my info "may have been impacted", so I followed through and enrolled for TrustedID Premier.

I think, though, that my best protection against fraud is my credit history. tongue

(I gave up trying to get my free credit reports a few years ago, because all three agencies invariably rejected my info and wanted me to mail in proof of ID. mad

I did the mail-in a few times before I threw in the towel, and I never found anything in my reports that accounted for the on-line rejections.

Anybody else experience this?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #46340 09/16/17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
My information was not breached, at least according to Equifax's website......

Hopefully. A number of Canadians may have been part of the American breach due to participation in credit card monitoring offered by their automobile association. Equifax posted a website link where they could check. They were asked to input their last name and the last six digits of their Social Insurance Number.

If they were safe, they'd get a message that said it was unlikely their information had been taken. A Reporter tested the number by putting in six random numbers and, for the last name, entered Trump. He got the same message of assurance.

It appears that Equifax definitely needs a bit of investigating.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #46343 09/16/17 05:53 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

This might mean nothing more than the combination of numbers and name was not on the list of compromised accounts. At least that's the way I would interpret it. And by the way, I got the same link from my brokerage firm. They are very concerned and offer free monitoring to any client whose data was breached.

Oh, one more thing: Discover Card has made it possible to enroll in automatic monitoring, and not just for their credit card. They monitor around 1000 sites on the dark web to see if anything is happening regarding their customer's accounts and identities.

Last edited by jchuzi; 09/16/17 05:55 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #46344 09/16/17 08:56 PM

And by the way, I got the same link from my brokerage firm. They are very concerned and offer free monitoring to any client whose data was breached.

And, the previously mentioned automobile association is reaching out to its customers. I got this email from them:

"This email is intended to provide information to BCAA Members that had subscribed to the CAA-Equifax Identity Protection service and are concerned about the recent Equifax breach.

Since the Equifax data breach in the US came to light last week, we’ve been reaching out to them about whether any BCAA Member data or other Canadian data were compromised. Equifax has publicly stated that Canadian information was likely not compromised unless a Canadian might have applied for credit in the United States, but that is as much as we have been provided at this time. We continue to press Equifax for more information and will share that with you as it becomes available. Equifax has been updating their Canadian website about the situation: www.consumer.equifax.ca.

If you would like to speak with someone at BCAA directly please contact our Customer Care Team Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm"

Oh, one more thing: Discover Card has made it possible to enroll in automatic monitoring, and not just for their credit card. They monitor around 1000 sites on the dark web to see if anything is happening regarding their customer's accounts and identities.

Nice touch.....more credit card companies should do that. It's in their interest as much as the customer's.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #46345 09/16/17 09:34 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

I have been very happy with Discover. Their customer service is excellent and they don't play games with cash back for "points". It's a straight 1%, with more from time to time from selected businesses. Other cards make you accumulate a minimum number of points before you can redeem them for cash, but (by my calculations for my MasterCard), it still comes to 1%.

Jon

jchuzi #46346 09/16/17 09:53 PM

I haven't used my Discover card in YEARS.

Too many businesses wanted no part of it, and my Master Card pays better...restaurants and gas stations, 3%, eBay or paid for with PayPal, 2%, and 1% for all else. (They won't redeem fewer than 6,000 points for $50.)

My Visa card also pays better than what you described for Discover...Amazon, 3%, gas stations, restaurants, and drugstores, 2%, and 1% for all else. (It's 100% redeemable at the end of the month.)

(Where did you see that about Discover's post Equifax monitoring?)

Last edited by artie505; 09/16/17 10:00 PM. Reason: Redo & more

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #46347 09/16/17 11:46 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
I haven't used my Discover card in YEARS.

Too many businesses wanted no part of it, and my Master Card pays better...restaurants and gas stations, 3%, eBay or paid for with PayPal, 2%, and 1% for all else. (They won't redeem fewer than 6,000 points for $50.)

My Visa card also pays better than what you described for Discover...Amazon, 3%, gas stations, restaurants, and drugstores, 2%, and 1% for all else. (It's 100% redeemable at the end of the month.)

(Where did you see that about Discover's post Equifax monitoring?)
Discover sent me an email with this link The part about the dark web was contained in the body of the email. After I signed up, I received the following in an email from them:

Now we’ll monitor thousands of risky websites and alert you if we find your Social Security number. Plus, we’ll monitor your Experian® credit report every day and alert you when there’s a new credit card, mortgage, car loan or other accounts listed in your name. All for FREE.

At one time, Discover limited how much cash you could get back, but now you can redeem it for any amount due you, without regard to set amounts or minimums. Currently, Discover is paying 5% back on Amazon purchases. The offer eventually expires (I don't remember when) but I get offers quite often. Usually, however, I don't shop those merchants. And, I do so little driving that gas station rebates don't mean much. I also don't go to restaurants anymore, so that part is moot.

Jon

jchuzi #46350 09/18/17 06:31 AM

OK, it took some jumping through hoops and a 3 AM call to support, but I'm finally signed up for those alerts...just got the email. (Wonder why I didn't get an invitation as you did?)

Thanks for the heads up! smile

Currently, Discover is paying 5% back on Amazon purchases. The offer eventually expires (I don't remember when) but I get offers quite often. Usually, however, I don't shop those merchants. And, I do so little driving that gas station rebates don't mean much. I also don't go to restaurants anymore, so that part is moot.

Discover "specials" have always been 3 month/calendar quarter events.

I don't drive, nor do I spend much in restaurants, but my 2% Master Card rebate on eBay and PayPal purchases pays me back in spades, because with the exception of my rare Amazon purchases, everything I buy is paid for with PayPal; I can't remember the last time I entered a credit card number or used a card in a store.

PayPal has become almost ubiquitous!

jchuzi #46362 09/19/17 04:09 PM

My information was not breached, at least according to Equifax's website,

Seeing as there are multiple reports of people entering the exact same information into different web browsers or different sites and getting different answers to that question, I wouldn't put too much faith in that.

And the fact that it immediately follows up a "yes you were exposed" with a "click here to sign up for our product, it's on SALE!" raises all sorts of red flags.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #46363 09/19/17 04:20 PM

I'd think that Equifax's info would be on the mark, and they're not selling anything; their giving it away.

artie505 #46364 09/19/17 05:36 PM

I'd think that Equifax's info would be on the mark, and they're not selling anything; their giving it away.

Unfortunately it is not unusual for the three credit agencies Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion to have different, even wildly different, credit ratings and information for the same individual. I have encountered that on more than one occasion. The last time I got a mortgage two of them gave me a very high credit rating but the third rated me an unacceptable risk "because of the unpaid $750,000 judgement against me in federal court". No such judgement against me existed, the judgement was against someone with the same name and living in the same county but with a different SSN and address who had multiple court judgements outstanding — all of which that bureau had attributed to me. It took several months to get the errors corrected. Had I not applied for the mortgage I might never have found out about the erroneous blot on my credit rating. A few years later my security clearance was lifted (for an hour or so) and I was briefly arrested and handcuffed (15 minutes or so) based on a similar credit bureau error where the actual person had the same name and worked for the same company but in another state. That took very little time to correct because of government intervention.

So IMO only checking one bureau is not enough, you have to watch all three. The difference in cost for checking one or all three bureaus runs around $60 per year.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46365 09/19/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
... only checking one bureau is not enough, you have to watch all three. ...

Here's a way to do it: ProtectMyID

ProtectMyID (PMID) is a subsidiary of Experian; however PMID provides activity alerts, based upon activity using one's SSN, address change, hard copy credit report requests. [A hard copy request is when a credit report has been requested by a financial service company and indicates a financial services application has been initiated by an individual. This request is different from a "soft" credit review by a marketing service.] PMID charges about $100/year for their various, alert services; however, PMID tracks activity at all 3 Credit Report Services (Experian, Equifax, TransUnion).

PMID's web site provides account login for customer, activity check. Additionally, PMID sends immediate alert to activity or monthly emails advising no activity.

In early 2016, PMID alerted me, by email on a Monday morning about a hard copy, credit report request (confirmed by logging into my PMID account) by Capital One Credit Card Services to all 3 Credit Report Services. As I knew immediately I had not had any activity with CapOne (I don't have a CapOne card, nor had I applied for one.), I called CapOne about their request, was advised a CC application had been completed online, using my name & SSN, the preceding Sunday night, and upon advising I had not made such application, was put over to CapOne's Fraud Dept. ...PMID Support helped avert stolen identity and potential, credit fraud under my name. [I should add CapOne also did a good job in their support & follow-up as they closed the fraudulent card account before any activity could occur.] ...When the Equifax debacle came to light, I breathed easier, although I proactively checked at PMID as well as Equifax's online assistance tool ( Incident Check ).

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
artie505 #46366 09/19/17 07:37 PM

I'm referring to checking the same person's credit from two different devices, with the same service. That should always get you the sam result. And in this case, it does not - some people are being told their user info was taken when checking from one device, and that it was not when checked from another device.

And no, their "credit watch" or whatever they call it is NOT a free service. (though iirc they ARE giving you a free 90 days of monitoring if you've been exposed, which imho isn't nearly enough compensation, I do hope they get crucified over this as they sincerely deserve it)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
pbGuy #46367 09/19/17 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
Here's a way to do it: ProtectMyID

The same Experian service is available through (USAA) and offers three levels of service…
  1. FREE — Monthly credit report and credit score (Experian only)
  2. $13.95/month item 1 plus daily credit check (Experian only) and ID monitoring including social media accounts (FaceTime, Twitter, etc.), fraud resolution and credit repair assistance. and additional services for service members deployed overseas.
  3. $26.90/month same as item 2 but includes Equifax and TransUnion as well as Experian
How good is it? I hope I never have to find out.

🤞

FWIW I am still awaiting my confirmation email for Equifax's free service.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46368 09/20/17 07:19 AM

Unfortunately it is not unusual for the three credit agencies Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion to have different, even wildly different, credit ratings and information for the same individual.

Agreed, but my statement that you quoted referred to Experian's judgement as to whether a particular individual's info was, was not, or may have been impacted by their recent security breach; it had nothing to do with credit ratings.

Virtual1 #46370 09/20/17 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

I'm referring to checking the same person's credit from two different devices, with the same service. That should always get you the sam result. And in this case, it does not - some people are being told their user info was taken when checking from one device, and that it was not when checked from another device.

That's a faaar cry from your post to which I responded, i.e.

Originally Posted By: v1
Seeing as there are multiple reports of people entering the exact same information into different web browsers or different sites and getting different answers to that question, I wouldn't put too much faith in that.
  • I've entered my info in Safari many times and once in Firefox and gotten the same answer every time.
  • I haven't got a second device to test with.
  • Judging from my searching, conflicting results don't appear to be a problem.
  • Is there more than one website at which you can check your possible exposure?
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
And no, their "credit watch" or whatever they call it is NOT a free service. (though iirc they ARE giving you a free 90 days of monitoring if you've been exposed, which imho isn't nearly enough compensation, I do hope they get crucified over this as they sincerely deserve it)

OK, I stand corrected in that it is not free forever, but it is free for a year, regardless of whether or not your info has been impacted.

Originally Posted By: Equifax
We are also offering free identity theft protection and credit file monitoring to all U.S. consumers, even if you are not impacted by this incident. This offering, called TrustedID Premier, includes 3-Bureau credit monitoring of your Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit reports; copies of your Equifax credit report; the ability to lock and unlock your Equifax credit report; identity theft insurance; and Internet scanning for your Social Security number – all complimentary to U.S. consumers for one year.

It would be useful for us to know if any FTMers got inconsistent results when checking their exposure with Experian.

joemikeb #46371 09/20/17 08:13 AM

Same here! (They say to wait a few days and then check your spam folder, but I've seen nothing about what to do if it's not there.)

I guess I'll wait a bit and try to sign up again if the email doesn't arrive.

Re: Equifax vs security
ryck #46372 09/20/17 08:54 AM

Interesting to note that Equifax in Canada will be contacting by mail (letters — remember those?) the ca 100,000 Canadians whose information was compromised.

grelber #46373 09/20/17 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Interesting to note that Equifax in Canada will be contacting by mail (letters — remember those?)........

And now we hope that Canada Post can actually deliver the letters to the right recipients.....talk about double jeopardy!!

Last edited by ryck; 09/20/17 02:06 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #46375 09/20/17 02:14 PM

There should be some governmental oversight, but considering the current president, that won't happen.

The need for oversight becomes more pertinent as we get more information. We know that the July 29 breach was the second....and it was followed by three of the company's executives selling almost $1.8 million US worth of shares in the days after.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #46376 09/20/17 02:43 PM

Same here! (They say to wait a few days and then check your spam folder, but I've seen nothing about what to do if it's not there.)

I guess I'll wait a bit and try to sign up again if the email doesn't arrive.

I have been checking my spam folder as well as my inbox, but frankly I don't know what to look for, who the message will be from, etc. I finally gave up and signed up for Experian's ProtectMyID, not because of a particular preference for Experian but because I have so much confidence in USAA and that is what they are offering.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #46377 09/20/17 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: grelber
Interesting to note that Equifax in Canada will be contacting by mail (letters — remember those?)........

And now we hope that Canada Post can actually deliver the letters to the right recipients.....talk about double jeopardy!!

True dat.

Recently I gathered insight into what might be termed the mindset of career posties. After several days of misdirected delivery on my street I confronted the new carrier on the walk about same. His excuse qua rationale for the errors was that he looked at an anomalous situation with respect to the house numbers on adjacent lots (one a double lot, the other a single lot), assumed the house numbers jumped in sets of 4, and then delivered accordingly. He did not, as you and I might, look at the actual house numbers once he established his 'algorithm'. He apologized, and the problem has not recurred.

pbGuy #46388 09/20/17 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
....proactively checked at PMID as well as Equifax's online assistance tool ( Incident Check ).

Follow-up NOTE: The URL { behind the above Link Incident Check } ( https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/potential-impact/ ) is the bona vide security check tool link provided by Equifax. But, read below...

As of today's date (9/20/17), I've just read a post at Mashable that details Equifax having unknowingly directed breach victims, through Equifax's official Twitter account, to a cloned, fake site using a similar URL, which to an unsuspecting eye looks Ok (but is Not!). The Fake site is at: triplew.securityequifax2017.com . ...Supposedly, according to the Mashable report, a security researcher "has taken credit" for the site and "claims" he is not stealing ( tongue yeh, sure ) any entered data.
(I purposely invalidated the fake site URL so the link is not clickable. ...If one wants to visit the site, using great caution, just add the https// & www.)

So, the *hits just keep on com'n from Equifax. mad And, I can't believe the Equifax CEO has not yet been fired! ...Caution is the operative word in anything Equifax.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #46391 09/20/17 10:19 PM

If Equifax is that incompetent who would want their monitoring service even if it is free?

— Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard