for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trying to connect new router
#46260 09/10/17 05:55 PM
OP Offline

This is not a Mac problem per se, but there are so many knowledgeable people here, someone may be able to throw some light on this.

Our broadband comes down the phone line, the existing router (which I'll call Router A) has always performed brilliantly as it should. However, we're about to try installing a wifi hifi system which needs greater wifi coverage in our home than Router A can provide. First shot was to buy and instal wifi range extenders, but these messed with Router A's functionality, which is unacceptable.

I therefore bought a new router (Router B), same mamufacturer, Mac-happy. However, installation failed despite repeated careful attempts.

Analysis reveals that the phone line - which works - will not accept ISP log on attempts. Yes I typed my ISP username and password exactly right. My ISP's tech help line today said they had had no failed authentication attempts from here.

I'm stumped. The phone line on the reinstalled Router A which works like a dream, clearly works. But it seems Router B is not recognising it? I have raised this topic on the router manufacturer's own forum but am getting nowhere.

Does this mean that my new expensive Router B does not work as it should, or is there something which my ISP, the other forum, and me, are missing?

Further details provided if necessary. Thanks for any helpful replied.

Re: Trying to connect new router
Bensheim #46261 09/10/17 07:51 PM

Having recently revamped my network this is a subject I am more familiar with than I ever wanted to be. From your description it sounds as if Modem B may not have a working connection to your phone line. Try some simple troubleshooting and perform the following tests IN ORDER.
  1. Double check the wire connecting Router B to the telco wall jack and be sure both ends are completely and firmly inserted at both ends.
  2. If the wire connecting Router B to the Telco wall jack came in the box with Router B? Try switching to the connecting wire you used with Router A.
  3. If you are using the wire that come with Router A, try switching to the connecting wire that cam in the box with Router B.
  4. If Router B still won't connect, verify you have good connection to the telco by checking to see if Router A still works.
  5. If you have preformed each of the checks and Router B still does not connect the failure would appear to be either an electro-mechanical or configuration problem in Router B. — Since Router configuration is different from brand to brand and even model to model within a brand we would have to know the make and model number of your Router to go much further in troubleshooting. Hopefully there would be someone here who is familiar with the particular Router and any eccentricities.
MY SOLUTION:

I had a similar situation with coverage that I had attempted to solve with a new expensive Router and a network Extender from the same manufacturer. I won't go into all the reasons but it was unsatisfactory, so I decided to try something different. I went back to my old Router that had worked well but just did not have the coverage we needed and turned the WiFi OFF. Then I connected the Router via Ethernet to a Plume "pod" configured to passthorugh the routing information and placed additional "pods" scattered in rooms around the house. From there on setup was completely automatic. I won't go into how the Plume network works but the coverage is amazingly uniform and even more amazingly fast. Plume markets directly to the public and I don't know if they ship to the UK but it might be a solution for you.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise, with Plume WiFi other than that of satisfied customer.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46270 09/11/17 02:49 PM
OP Offline

Hi Joe

I've done all that, including pressing factory reset on it. Maybe that's what did it, but IT NOW WORKS!!! laugh

It's a dual-band Netgear and to my astonishment, seems to be transmitting (is that the right word) on both frequencies (is that the right word)? I've even got into it from an Android Tablet in another room, which was the whole point.

It had better perform well after all this.

Oh, and I've also changed the admin password and the wifi password.

Last edited by Bensheim; 09/11/17 02:50 PM.
Bensheim #46279 09/13/17 02:16 PM

the struggle is very real for programmers and hardware techs alike...

http://starecat.com/content/wp-content/u...-code-works.jpg

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Bensheim #46283 09/13/17 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
I've done all that, including pressing factory reset on it. Maybe that's what did it, but IT NOW WORKS!!! laugh
Great! 👍
Originally Posted By: Bensheim
It's a dual-band Netgear and to my astonishment, seems to be transmitting transceiving on both frequencies bands.
That is precisely what dual band routers are supposed to do.

Each of the two bands has specific advantages and disadvantages:
  • 2.4GHz band
    • Compatible with virtually all WiFi devices
    • By and large will have the greatest signal strength
    • for many reasons often has a lower signal to noise ratio which results in lower speeds
  • 5GHz Band
    • theoretically capable of penetrating more walls and obstructions
    • up to 4 times the bandwidth and therefore can carry 4 times the amount of data
    • less subject to interference (higher signal to noise ratio)
Given the choice I will usually prefer the 5GHz band.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard