FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carbon Copy Cloner 5 is now available
#46075 08/24/17 06:16 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Adding new features as well as High Sierra compatibility, Carbon Copy Cloner 5 is now available for download. A discounted upgrade price is available as well.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: Carbon Copy Cloner 5 is now available
jchuzi #46077 08/24/17 08:33 PM

Ooh, good to know! I've been a CCC user for a long time, and I will definitely be upgrading.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #46084 08/26/17 06:01 AM

There's a comparison of CCC versions 4 and 5 features at the bottom of this page, and with the possible exception of macOS 10.13 related functionality, I'm not sure I see any new features that cry out to me, as a basic user, to pay $20 to get them.

Everything you need to know about Carbon Copy Cloner and APFS is worth reviewing.

Originally Posted By: Linked doc
CCC 4 can make a bootable backup from an APFS-formatted volume to an HFS+ formatted volume, and can even create a recovery volume on that HFS+ backup disk.

So, I guess that if I clone an APFS formatted volume to an HFS+ formatted volume the clone reverts to HFS+, and, if so, can I get it back to APFS if I need to clone it back?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #46085 08/26/17 02:59 PM

I installed v5 without issue (sorta) and am pleased with the result. There was one nit however. I had a preference to reset: the "unmount destination disk upon completion" needed to be reestablished. Alas, I cannot determine if the issue is with moi or something within v5.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #46086 08/26/17 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
So, I guess that if I clone an APFS formatted volume to an HFS+ formatted volume the clone reverts to HFS+, and, if so, can I get it back to APFS if I need to clone it back?

Easy enough since CCC 5 will clone either to or from APFS or you could just boot from the Recovery drive and run Disk Utility > Convert. It is non-destructive and literally takes only several seconds to complete.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46100 08/28/17 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Easy enough since CCC 5 will clone either to or from APFS or you could just boot from the Recovery drive and run Disk Utility > Convert. It is non-destructive and literally takes only several seconds to complete.

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question, i.e. if I clone an APFS volume to an HFS+ volume - my only option with CCC 4 - can I subsequently clone the resultant HFS+ clone back to my APFS volume and run "Convert"?

CCC 4 can't clone and APFS volume to another APFS volume, but what about from an HFS+ volume to an APFS volume?

More: Question submitted to CCC support.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #46108 08/31/17 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: CCC/Mike Bombich
Originally Posted By: artie
If I clone an APFS volume to an HFS+ volume using CCC 4 (four), can I clone the resultant HFS+ volume to an APFS volume and then convert it to APFS?

You can do that, but it doesn't result in a bootable clone (assuming you're cloning a system here). APFS requires special helper volumes within the APFS container in order for it to be bootable, so that's something CCC would have to do. CCC 5 can do that if you were to clone APFS --> HFS+ --> APFS. If you clone APFS --> HFS+ and then convert that HFS+ volume to APFS, you can re-run the backup task (using CCC 5) to have CCC take care of the helper partitions. (Emphasis added)

artie505 #46114 08/31/17 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: CCC/Mike Bombich
Originally Posted By: artie
If I clone an APFS volume to an HFS+ volume using CCC 4 (four), can I clone the resultant HFS+ volume to an APFS volume and then convert it to APFS?

You can do that, but it doesn't result in a bootable clone (assuming you're cloning a system here). APFS requires special helper volumes within the APFS container in order for it to be bootable, so that's something CCC would have to do. CCC 5 can do that if you were to clone APFS --> HFS+ --> APFS. If you clone APFS --> HFS+ and then convert that HFS+ volume to APFS, you can re-run the backup task (using CCC 5) to have CCC take care of the helper partitions. (Emphasis added)

These are important distinctions and procedures. Thank you for sharing them.

For other than consistency, if APFS-->HFS+ -->APFS produces a bootable clone and bootable restored volume (isn't that the … HFS+ -->APFS second part?), why change the HFS+ to APFS?

More specifically, if the computer HD is APFS and the backup/cloned drives are HFS+, why change the backups?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
jchuzi #46125 09/01/17 07:03 PM

Thanks to "The Beard" (otherwise known as Jim Dalrymple), he's providing a 15% Off coupon to purchase CCC5 and which is good until 9/3.

Here's a link to Loopinsight

I used it for a New Purchase, but it most likely it will also work with an Upgrade.

I've been using SuperDuper for years. While I've been happy with SD, comments here convinced me to give CCC5 a try.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
Ira L #46135 09/02/17 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
For other than consistency, if APFS-->HFS+ -->APFS produces a bootable clone and bootable restored volume (isn't that the … HFS+ -->APFS second part?), why change the HFS+ to APFS?

Because you prefer to run High Sierra in APFS mode...presumably because it's as good as Apple thinks it is. (APFS-->HFS+ -->APFS produces a bootable clone only if you're using CCC 5; my post dealt with CCC 4, which can't produce either a bootable APFS clone or even one that can be made bootable [other than by CCC 5].)

More specifically, if the computer HD is APFS and the backup/cloned drives are HFS+, why change the backups?

There's no need to change them with CCC 5, but a better question is why maintain any HFS+ volumes at all (other than for 10.12 and earlier installations) once you're satisfied with HS in APFS mode?

As I see it, an external HSF+ volume is no more than a short term stopgap measure for when you first upgrade to HS...until you're satisfied with APFS.

artie505 #46139 09/02/17 01:56 PM

There's no need to change them with CCC 5, but a better question is why maintain any HFS+ volumes at all (other than for 10.12 and earlier installations) once you're satisfied with HS in APFS mode?

As I see it, an external HSF+ volume is no more than a short term stopgap measure for when you first upgrade to HS...until you're satisfied with APFS.

That's a good perspective. Move forward.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #46151 09/03/17 07:28 AM

Because you'll lose the benefits of APFS.

For example:
- Time and date stamps will change (APFS allows more precise time/date stamps than HFS)
- The backup may balloon in size, becoming much larger than the APFS source (because HFS doesn't allow space sharing and file cloning)
- The backup may lose APFS snapshots (I'm not sure how a snapshot will be copied to an HFS volume, or even if it can be)
- APFS allows very, very, very large numbers of files on a disk and in a directory. HFS has weird problems when you get millions of files in a single folder, something that happens to my partner Shelly on a regular basis when she uses protein modeling software in her research. If you copy a drive with a very large number of files to an HFS disk, you may encounter problems.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
pbGuy #46160 09/04/17 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
... Jim Dalrymple... providing a 15% Off coupon to purchase CCC5 and which is good until 9/3.

As of this update on 9/4, Loopinsight's discount link is still there.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard