Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
resting apple mail password
#46091 08/27/17 12:51 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.12.6

I cannot send or receive apple mail..will not accept password. Is there way to reset the password in terminal?

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: resting apple mail password
jaybass #46093 08/27/17 02:17 PM

Your problem is often the result of a server glitch that resolves itself after a while; give it a bit of time and see what happens.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #46094 08/27/17 03:01 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I did have a problem with the computer password which I changed in terminal but I didn't see any options re mail.

I have just been chatting with some one on the internet but she couldn't resolve the issue either.

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #46097 08/27/17 09:58 PM

Artie is probably correct that simply waiting a while will "fix" you email problem. As to changing the password. Apple Mail, Apple iCloud, Apple App Store, and iTunes all use the same Apple ID and password. If you change one — all are changed. The Apple ID password can ONLY be changed via the internet but you can access it via...
  • System Preferences > iCloud Account Details
  • iTunes > Account > View My Account
  • App Store > Store > View My Account
  • logging on to iCloud and going to Settings > Apple ID > Manage
It is not accessible via terminal.

Your computer account ID and password are independent of the Apple ID and password (except you can choose to allow your Apple ID and password to unlock your computer account). Your computer account password can be changed in
  • System Preferences > Accounts
NOTE:If you have two step verification turned on changing either password will require you verify the change through another device registered to your Apple account.

When you get a request for a userid and/or password read the request carefully as it is very easy to get confused about which one is being requested.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46099 08/27/17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Artie is probably correct that simply waiting a while will "fix" you email problem. As to changing the password. Apple Mail, Apple iCloud, Apple App Store, and iTunes all use the same Apple ID and password.

That last may have confused the issue.

My answer assumed - that word, again - that jaybass's mail server is rejecting his password.

And if not, never mind. tongue

(As a matter of fact, what is the Apple Mail that uses your Apple ID & password to which you referred?)

Last edited by artie505; 08/28/17 05:28 AM. Reason: Clarification

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #46101 08/28/17 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
(As a matter of fact, what is the Apple Mail that uses your Apple ID & password to which you referred?)
I was referring to the email accounts that come with iCloud and its predecessors Mac.com and me.com.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46103 08/29/17 01:38 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Since this computer is less than 2 weeks old, I thought I would phone apple.

The problem was that my server uses yahoo for mail and the password wasn't set up correctly. However, the apple tech fixed it so that the password I have is always used, is not asked for everytime I open mail.

I had reset my password using the right procedure and I was asked if I wanted to keep that password but it didn't for reasons I don't understand. Your are right, it is easy to get confused re questions on resetting your password.

As they say, "Alls well that ends well"

Thanks for your replies

jaybass

jaybass #46113 08/31/17 03:58 PM

I've seen this happen on mail clients pretty much everywhere. Windows, mac, iPhone, android, you name it. (even Remote Desktop!)

The fastest solution is to quit the app and then go wherever the passwords are stored and delete them. (keychain access for mac)

THEN quit and reopen it and look for it AGAIN. You may find it "came back". It did not, it was a dup but only one was being displayed. Delete it again.

Repeat until they stay gone. Then open your app and re-enter it and it should save/work fine.

Remote Desktop is notorious for letting you get two entries in the DB for the same IP address. Only the last one is shown, and only the first one is USED. You can imagine how well that works out.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard