FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPad to iMac Calendar syncing
#46042 08/22/17 02:09 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Rather than get out of iCloud altogether but then lose a bunch of stuff, I decided to stay in for some functions I could actually use. For example, the email on my two devices is coordinated. However, the only two other coordinations of interest don't want to work: Calendar and Contacts.

Contacts is not the end of the world as it doesn't change that much and gets updated periodically when I sync tunes. I sync the Calendar at the same time.

My Calendar, however, is in constant flux and it would be good to have automatically syncing. However, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the iMac and the iPad to get the Calendars coordinated.

iPad (Model MD520C/A) is iOS 10.3.2 and iMac (early 2008) is OS 10.11.6

Last edited by ryck; 08/22/17 02:12 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: iPad to iMac Calendar syncing
ryck #46043 08/22/17 04:25 PM

Just to make sure you have done the minimum "obvious" requirements:
  • Both Mac and iPad are signed into the same iCloud account
  • On the Mac, System Preferences>iCloud, Calendars is checked
  • On the iPad, Settings>User[topmost, your name]>iCloud, Calendars is turned on

If these are the case, then try signing out then signing in to the iCloud on the device that is least current. Maybe even sign out/in on both if just doing it on one doesn't do the trick.

Also, if the iPad is wifi only, syncing could be delayed until a network connection has been established for awhile. If it has cellular capability, then make sure Calendars is allowed to use cellular data in Settings>Cellular>Calendars & Reminders [turned on].

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
ryck #46074 08/24/17 05:07 PM

One more thing to check on your iPad: Settings>Calendar [pause here to check that "Accounts" shows your iMac iCloud account]>Sync. Choose here the number of past periods you want to synchronize.

See if any of that makes a difference if my above suggestions did not do so. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #46076 08/24/17 06:31 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Just to make sure you have done the minimum "obvious" requirements:
  • Both Mac and iPad are signed into the same iCloud account
  • On the Mac, System Preferences>iCloud, Calendars is checked
  • On the iPad, Settings>User[topmost, your name]>iCloud, Calendars is turned on

These all appear to be okay, although I noticed something odd as I checked "Account Details" on the iMac. It shows the two machines and it lists:

• Model
• Version
• Serial Number

...although the iPad has two additional headings:

• Phone Number (with a number I do not recognize and have never had)
• IMEI

I also noticed that the Names are different. For example "Winken's iMac" and "Blinkens iPad"

If these are the case, then try signing out then signing in to the iCloud on the device that is least current.

I was not sure how to do that although I connected and disconnected the "iCloud Drive". It generated a partial fix. The Contacts (which were not working) now coordinate and I have tested with both machines on....and could see the changes happen in real time.

Calendars....still nada.

One more thing to check on your iPad: Settings>Calendar [pause here to check that "Accounts" shows your iMac iCloud account]>Sync. Choose here the number of past periods you want to synchronize.

I have "Sync All Events" checked.

Last edited by ryck; 08/24/17 06:38 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #46078 08/24/17 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
I noticed something odd as I checked "Account Details" on the iMac. It shows the two machines and it lists:

• Model
• Version
• Serial Number

...although the iPad has two additional headings:

• Phone Number (with a number I do not recognize and have never had)
• IMEI

I also noticed that the Names are different. For example "Winken's iMac" and "Blinkens iPad"

If your iPad has cellular connectivity that is the phone number attached to the cellular data account. Because cellular data comes through the telephone network there has to be a telephone number "address" — not to mention the telco's billing system.

For information on the IMEI number check here.

The "names" are arbitrary and used to identify the device on your Apple account. You can change them to whatever you want. On the iPad that is in Settings > General > About > Name. On the iMac it is in System Preferences > Sharing

None of these have any effect on data sharing through the iCloud account.

As to the Calendar, on your iPad open the Calendar app then touch Calendar at the bottom of the screen and compare the calendar name you see there with what you see on the iMac in the Calendar app when you click on the Calendars button at the top left of the window. Those names should exactly match.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46079 08/24/17 11:16 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

We have lift-off.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
As to the Calendar, on your iPad open the Calendar app then touch Calendar at the bottom of the screen and compare the calendar name you see there with what you see on the iMac in the Calendar app when you click on the Calendars button at the top left of the window. Those names should exactly match.

The names were slightly different (one had national holidays, the other didn't). After that was corrected I went into iCloud, turned Calendars off, then back on, and things started working. I was able to add an event on the iPad and watch the change on the iMac in real time.

Thanks Ira, thanks joemike.

Last edited by ryck; 08/24/17 11:16 PM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard