FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for recommendations on a new laptop
#45912 08/03/17 02:48 AM
OP Offline

Hi all,

I am hoping to hear some suggestions re: which Apple laptop I should consider buying. I have been an Apple user since my dad bought the first Mac in 1984, but when my MacBook crapped out a few months ago I thought maybe I would save a few bucks and buy a PC. The basis for this decision was that I only need a laptop for occasional browsing, and mostly for photo and music storage. It was the WORST DECISION EVER! I don't know how to use a PC and they are not user friendly at all. With a toddler and an infant at home I don't have the time to figure it all out. The laptop is ridiculously slow (my 9 year old MacBook was faster), and it is beyond frustrating every time I have to use it.

So enough with my rant... I would like a laptop for my iTunes library, my million and one photos of my kids, and for occasional browsing. I THINK I am currently using about 110GB of storage (but since I am not familiar at all with the PC, I could be looking in the wrong place for that information). A couple of things I've found are a nuisance with the current laptop (therefore I suppose are somewhat important to me) are poor battery life and screen resolution.

Thoughts?

Re: Looking for recommendations on a new laptop
courtcook #45913 08/03/17 05:37 AM

As described, your needs don't cry out for any particular Mac (although your processing speed preference could narrow down your options), so I'll suggest that you first compare MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro specs at the Apple Store (on-line), and then, if possible, visit an Apple Store for some hands & eyes-on input. (As nice as they look on-screen, they're waaay nicer in person.)

And as for purchasing your new Mac, some, if not many, of us at FTM are partial to the Apple Refurb Store, where you can get new and recently discontinued model Macs - all of which come with Apple's standard 1 year warrantee and are eligible for extended AppleCare/AppleCare+ - for a discounted, possibly significantly, price; I've used the source more than once and not been disappointed.

(I'm running a Mid 2015 Retina MacBook Pro, and both battery life and screen resolution are outstanding!!! cool )

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45914 08/03/17 01:54 PM

The MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or even a 12” iPad Pro would all fill your needs easily. I would opt for a minimum of 256 GB storage (disk capacity). Like Artie I would have no hesitation buying a factory refurbished machine.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45916 08/03/17 03:56 PM

You got me curious as to how Small Dog and Apple compare price-wise, and I found that the exact same factory, i.e. Apple, refurbished model costs $9.01 less from them than from Apple, but by comparison, they've got a minuscule selection.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45922 08/04/17 11:43 AM

Small Dog, OWC (MacSales), Mac Mall, 18004memory, B&H Photo, and Mac of All Trades are my favorite 3rd party Macintosh suppliers.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #45926 08/04/17 03:09 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the input everyone. I have been watching the refurb site, thinking maybe I'll go with the MacBook Air, just hoping for a restock (on the Canadian site). smile

courtcook #45929 08/04/17 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: courtcook
I have been watching the refurb site, thinking maybe I'll go with the MacBook Air, just hoping for a restock (on the Canadian site). smile

I can't speak for Macs other than those I"ve followed, but I've learned that patience is a virtue in the American Refurb Store.

If the Mac you prefer is a current model, the specs you prefer will come up sooner or later...provided that they're not too far off the wall.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard