FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mail can't verify the identity of imap
#45856 07/28/17 04:47 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

"Mail can't verify the identity of imap.mail.att.net. The certificate for the server is invalid"

I clicked "Show Certificate" and checked the box "Always trust" (despite my misgivings) but the next time I tried to retrieve my mail, I had to go through the whole process again.

I spent an hour on the phone with ATT yesterday and he couldn't figure it out. I spent much more time on Google, trying suggestions, but I haven't had much success either.

I started with the obvious, deleting preferences, mailboxes, accounts, passwords, and certificates, and the usual maintenance checks. I even tried downloading a free SSL certificate from Commodo but I don't think it worked because I can't tell if it downloaded.

Re: Mail can't verify the identity of imap
deniro #45879 07/31/17 05:08 PM

I too saw that message for an att.net account I have. I checked "Always Trust" and, for what it's worth, the message has not shown up again.

What couldn't the AT&T rep figure out? That AT&T forgot to renew its certificate in a timely manner? Why your "Always trust" did not stick is another issue.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #45899 08/01/17 11:22 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

That's the problem. I can get the mail now but my changes don't stick. Every time I start Mail I have to do the certificate dance.

deniro #45906 08/02/17 09:45 PM

I don't have that issue, but you may find you need to copy the certificate into the System keychain, using Keychain Utility. Also use that tool to carefully examine the certificate - errors in certificates are somewhat common and will cause unpredictable behavior by apps that try to use them. Silly things like calling it "att.com" one place and "www.att.com" in another place. Compare the certificate carefully with another similar one and see if any of the settings, trust levels, roles, or privileges are different.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard