FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Posting jpg question
#45776 07/21/17 09:25 PM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

I am having a possible problem that I would like some advice on. I don't think I can explain it adequately without posting a couple of jpg files showing the issue. Unfortunately I do not have a website or anyplace online where I can put them so I can reference them here.

The 2 jpg's are 20kb total if it makes any difference.

Suggestions please.

Last edited by Douglas; 07/21/17 11:16 PM. Reason: Add jpg size
Re: Posting jpg question
Douglas #45780 07/22/17 12:07 AM

You can set up a free account on an image hosting site like Imagur, Flickr, or Google Photos. Then just post a link to the images in your question.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #45783 07/22/17 04:37 AM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

Had not thought of that, will look into it.

tacit #45784 07/22/17 06:55 AM

Originally Posted By: tacit
You can set up a free account on an image hosting site like Imagur, Flickr, or Google Photos. Then just post a link to the images in your question.

That would be: Imgur.

I tried set-ups with Imgur and Google Photos - to no avail.
There are no apparent instructions on how to do anything, specifically upload photos and/or allow others to access them.
I have no time or patience to try to diddle with such "Rubik's cubes".

grelber #45790 07/24/17 06:05 PM

- browse to http://imgur.com/
- click "new post"
- drag and drop image into "browse or drag images here"
- ignore all the noise on the page, look for grey "copy" button off to the right and click it

image url is now on your clipboard. switch here and paste into your message
looks like this that I just threw up whilst getting your directions: http://imgur.com/a/D9uA1

its really quite easy to do, and requires no sign-up or anything. I don't know how long they keep the images up though, could be a week or less if you aren't registered. don't use for permanent hosting of images or anything you need to be available down the road. (use dropbox for that)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #45793 07/24/17 07:25 PM

Thanks. But I registered so that I could have a 'private' way of uploading photos and such and then be able to provide a URL for others to go to.

EDIT: Imgur finally got back to me with the enlightenment.
You can upload images by following these steps:
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/210076663-Upload-Images.
After upload, you can hover over an image to get the share links for posting on a forum or sending to someone.

Last edited by grelber; 07/24/17 07:55 PM. Reason: New Info
Virtual1 #45794 07/24/17 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
- browse to http://imgur.com/

Browsing to http://imgur.com/upload saves a step.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45795 07/24/17 07:57 PM

Gotcha!
I was wondering why you hadn't chimed in since you're a regular user of Imgur.
I'll give it a practice run in the coming days.

Virtual1 #45796 07/24/17 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I don't know how long they keep the images up though, could be a week or less if you aren't registered. don't use for permanent hosting of images or anything you need to be available down the road. (use dropbox for that)

UPDATE: As of February 2015, Imgur now states that images are never deleted unless requested.

An image is only removed if deletion is requested.

Haven't found it on Imgur's site, though.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #45799 07/24/17 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
I was wondering why you hadn't chimed in since you're a regular user of Imgur.

Bookmark-phobia! frown

Still haven't recovered completely. mad

artie505 #45805 07/25/17 12:38 AM

Nope. Not working for me.
I sign into my account. Drag an image to that page. Image appears but hovering only allows sizing (+ and -), nothing else.
I can find a URL but if I cut and paste to address/URL window, my account page comes up — which I don't want others to have access to.
So, essentially nothing works as advertised. I guess unless there's some more straightforward way of doing things, I'll have to give up on Imgur. If it can't work transparently and quickly, it's not worth the effort.

grelber #45807 07/25/17 12:54 AM

Nope. Not working for me.
I sign into my account. Drag an image to that page. Image appears but hovering only allows sizing (+ and -), nothing else.
I can find a URL but if I cut and paste to address/URL window, my account page comes up — which I don't want others to have access to.

What are you expecting to gain by hovering?

What happens if rather than cutting & pasting the URL you simply hit copy? (And under any circumstances, if you don't want others to see your account page, why don't you upload without logging in? Do you gain anything meaningful by logging in?)

artie505 #45808 07/25/17 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505

Imgur states: "After upload, you can hover over an image to get the share links for posting on a forum or sending to someone."

Plus:
"If you do hover, you'll see options:

"Edit image: If you need to crop, rotate, add text, or edit that image, now's your chance!

"Get share links: Looking for HTML or BBCode? This is where you'll find it!

"Download image: This lets you download the image.

"Delete image: If you click this, you'll be given these two options.
• Remove from this Post: The image will no longer appear on this post but will still be uploaded on Imgur and can be found by its direct link.
• Delete Image from Account: The image will be removed from the post and also deleted from your Imgur account and Imgur."

What happens if rather than cutting & pasting the URL you simply hit copy? (And under any circumstances, if you don't want others to see your account page, why don't you upload without logging in? Do you gain anything meaningful by logging in?)

Not cutting and pasting; dragging and dropping as recommended.
Logging in keeps images private; not logging in makes images universally available to anyone accessing Imgur.

grelber #45809 07/25/17 01:29 AM

Imgur states: "...."

Logging in keeps images private; not logging in makes images universally available to anyone accessing Imgur.

Your options appear when you click on the down arrow to the right of "Copy" (as per the red box), which appears when you hover.

Cut & paste were your words: "I can find a URL but if I cut and paste to address/URL window...." (Doesn't the "Copy" button work?)

I'm at a loss about your "privacy", because I haven't opened an account, but why not use your account for your private stuff and post your public stuff without logging in?

artie505 #45811 07/25/17 07:42 AM

Logging in keeps images private; not logging in makes images universally available to anyone accessing Imgur. [/quote]

Your options appear when you click on the down arrow to the right of "Copy" (as per the red box), which appears when you hover.

Cut & paste were your words: "I can find a URL but if I cut and paste to address/URL window...." (Doesn't the "Copy" button work?)

I'm at a loss about your "privacy", because I haven't opened an account, but why not use your account for your private stuff and post your public stuff without logging in?

Sorry, I meant drag and drop as suggested by Imgur.

I don't see any of the things/buttons you're referring to. "Copy" in any incarnation just doesn't show up on any screen that I can conjure. I don't see any red box.

I have no public stuff. I want to put 'private' photos in my account with a URL to provide to those I want to see them.

Clearly that's all a pipe dream for me. Imgur doesn't work; Google Photos even less so. Frustration doesn't even begin to cover it. So that's ball game as far as I'm concerned.

But many thanks for your trying to assist.

grelber #45812 07/25/17 08:05 AM

I don't see any of the things/buttons you're referring to. "Copy" in any incarnation just doesn't show up on any screen that I can conjure. I don't see any red box.

I have no public stuff. I want to put 'private' photos in my account with a URL to provide to those I want to see them.

Clearly that's all a pipe dream for me. Imgur doesn't work; Google Photos even less so. Frustration doesn't even begin to cover it. So that's ball game as far as I'm concerned.

The red box in this image is my own addition to emphasize the pop-up I see when I hover my cursor over a newly uploaded image (even when I'm not logged in).

I dunno what you're seeing, but I just opened an account to see if I saw things differently when logged in, and all was the same as before, including the contents of my red box appearing when I hover over an image I"ve uploaded, and the arrow and two "Copy" buttons.

I also see a "Post privacy" setting which seems to cover your concerns.

More: For the benefit of all, please upload an inconsequential screenshot without logging in, and let's see if it's any different than what you've been seeing.

Last edited by artie505; 07/25/17 10:19 AM.

artie505 #45815 07/25/17 01:32 PM

For the benefit of all, please upload an inconsequential screenshot without logging in, and let's see if it's any different than what you've been seeing.

From all I can tell, we're in alternate universes. Everything you're describing is not happening for me.
And I can't upload anything at this point, logged in or not. And even if I could, there'd be nothing I could do with it.
So, from my perspective, not wanting any more frustration and grief, it's better to drop the whole mess. crazy
Thanks again.
Now, to relax, I'm going to go to my vault and dive in and out of my money like Scrooge McDuck ... or maybe just have another glass of wine. tongue

EDIT: I already tack onto email messages photos in JPG format. I just thought that it might be more convenient to upload such to a server once and have e-correspondents grab such from there. It would have the advantage that I wouldn't have to put up with the slow attachment upload time each and every time via email. (But given the complications with Imgur and Google Photos I've already wasted whatever time I might have saved for several years. C'est la vie. tongue )

Last edited by grelber; 07/25/17 03:38 PM.
grelber #45827 07/26/17 09:58 AM

Now, to relax, I'm going to go to my vault and dive in and out of my money like Scrooge McDuck ... or maybe just have another glass of wine. tongue

I was always in awe of Gladstone Gander; let's see if you can maybe get lucky, too.

I'm going to take one more shot at this, because FTM is a troubleshooting forum, and it would behoove us to not throw in the towel before we run out of options.

Here are images of what you should see at each step of this procedure without logging in. (Nothing changes if you log in.):
  1. Navigate to http://imgur.com/upload.
  2. Drag a screenshot into the upload box. (Note the "Post privacy" option. [Red box added for emphasis.])
  3. Hover over the image - Your cursor should change to a magnifying glass. - to access the "pop-up" in the top right corner.
  4. Hover over the down arrow in the "pop-up".
  5. Click on "Edit image".
  6. Click on "Get share links".
  7. Click on "Post privacy > Public".
  8. Click on "Post privacy > Hidden".
If all goes well, I think you'll be a happy camper in ~5 minutes.

And if all doesn't go well, I guess we'll have to blame it on Firefox, but your version isn't all that much out of date, is it?

artie505 #45834 07/26/17 05:05 PM

I'm going to take one more shot at this, because FTM is a troubleshooting forum, and it would behoove us to not throw in the towel before we run out of options.

Here are images of what you should see at each step of this procedure without logging in. (Nothing changes if you log in.):
  1. Navigate to http://imgur.com/upload.
  2. Drag a screenshot into the upload box. (Note the "Post privacy" option. [Red box added for emphasis.])
  3. Hover over the image - Your cursor should change to a magnifying glass. - to access the "pop-up" in the top right corner.
  4. Hover over the down arrow in the "pop-up".
  5. Click on "Edit image".
  6. Click on "Get share links".
  7. Click on "Post privacy > Public".
  8. Click on "Post privacy > Hidden".
If all goes well, I think you'll be a happy camper in ~5 minutes.
And if all doesn't go well, I guess we'll have to blame it on Firefox, but your version isn't all that much out of date, is it?

1. Upload shows up.
2. Image d&d'ed.
3. Doesn't happen.
4. Doesn't show up.
5. Doesn't exist.
6. Doesn't exist.
7 & 8. [Didn't bother to go further.]

Firefox ESR 45.9.0 is still valid.

So, the enterprise is doomed.

Again, thanks.

grelber #45835 07/26/17 10:42 PM

Oh, well... It was worth trying.

It's strange, though. I've searched and found some Imgur/Firefox issues, but they've been few and far between. You might try contacting Imgur.

Have you tried with Safari? Even your legacy version may work.

And there's always DropBox.

artie505 #45836 07/27/17 12:11 AM

Oh, well... It was worth trying.
It's strange, though. I've searched and found some Imgur/Firefox issues, but they've been few and far between. You might try contacting Imgur.

I did try. They're pretty much into canned response mode. Your assistance was far more impressive.

Have you tried with Safari? Even your legacy version may work.

Every time I try Safari it frustrates the hell out of me.

And there's always DropBox.

I don't know from DropBox. For the moment I'm going to stick with what I know.

grelber #45840 07/27/17 10:24 AM

This just occurred to me: since you can upload, if you can get a URL and access the "Post privacy" feature, I think you can get exactly what you're looking for.

...I registered so that I could have a 'private' way of uploading photos and such and then be able to provide a URL for others to go to.

Last edited by artie505; 07/28/17 08:02 AM. Reason: Clarify

artie505 #45851 07/28/17 09:02 AM

Update (if you're interested): I just discovered that the URL of the upload is the one in your menu bar after you've uploaded, so you've got, it even if you don't see the URL > Copy button.

So... If you can access Post privacy > Hidden, you're good to go.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard