FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't recover Apple ID
#45707 07/15/17 01:25 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I tried to login to Apple but got the message that my account was suspended for security reasons. I was sent to iforgot.apple.com, entered my email address and password, then the cursor just spins and spins. Nothings happening, no other page loading.

I tried logging in through itunes and wound up in the same place. If I go to apple.id.com, I get the same message and get sent to iforgot.apple.com where nothing appears to be happening.

One more reason to dump Apple. I changed my email address, so I need to change my Apple ID.

Re: Can't recover Apple ID
deniro #45709 07/15/17 01:38 PM

I have had similar instances in the past and all have been cleared up by "trying again — later." It is usually due to a temporary glitch on Apple's server.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45716 07/16/17 05:08 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

No luck today either. The wealthiest company in history can't manage its own servers.

deniro #45717 07/16/17 07:27 PM

Apple Status Page

Shows everything good to go.....did you end up initiating an account reset with the "iforgot.apple.com" site?

I had a friend who got locked out of the reset process until it completed on the Apple server end....took about a day before she could log back in.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #45718 07/16/17 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
who got locked out of the reset process until it completed on the Apple server end....took about a day before she could log back in.

I still need to get back to them. They locked out one of my accounts because of unknown reasons, and the applecare guy suggested I turn on 2FA to clear the error, which I did. It's now stuck "half turned on" because the ONLY other logged in device got logged out during the reset. So now neither can login, and neither can approve the other UNTIL they login. Great. So then go click on the "I can't authenticate" and system prefs pinwheels. On ANY computer I try to login with that account and click the button on. (so my actual account is hosed) Escalated to engineering, and as has been the growing trend lately, they never got back to me. I assume when I follow up with them next week they'll tell me engineering "closed the escalation without leaving any notes". ie they don't feel like looking at it. I've gotten that with alarming frequency lately.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
MacManiac #45727 07/17/17 04:56 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Every time I submit my information on the iforgot site, I get a cursor that just spins and spins. I let it go for about a half hour yesterday and nothing else happened. Just a spinning cursor. Maybe I'll try it on my Dell.

deniro #45732 07/17/17 11:15 PM

How many browsers have you tried?

I've had several problems with Apple (with assorted websites, actually) in Safari in instances in which Firefox has worked.

I know you're stuck in Firefox, but maybe another supported browser will work for you.

Last edited by artie505; 07/18/17 12:51 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45735 07/18/17 01:16 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Opera spins and hangs, just like Firefox. Safari gave me a blank page when I tried to load iforgot. What a joke that browser is.

deniro #45736 07/18/17 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: deniro
Safari gave me a blank page when I tried to load iforgot. What a joke that browser is.

At least some of your problems with Safari may very well result from your running a neanderthal, even as respects Apple tongue , version. (Other browsers, too?)

And also bear in mind that not every website designer gives full thought to supporting even Safari's current version.

(I wonder if you'd fare any better with Safari 10 if you were willing to live with your graphics anomaly?)

Edit: Forgot to mention that I just got to https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid instantly in Safari 10.1.1. (On the other hand, though, I had to buy a new MBP from the Refurb Store with Firefox a few months ago. tongue crazy )

Last edited by artie505; 07/18/17 08:45 AM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
deniro #45738 07/18/17 03:55 PM

If three browsers fail to render a given web page correctly it is reasonable to assume the fault lies in the web page itself and not the browsers. This could be caused by any one of multiple factors including...
  • a coding error in the web page itself or
  • a page that was composed to support only one particualr browser and uses Javascript or other command(s) unique to that browser (most commonly the now obsolete Internet Explorer)
However, given you are using a MacOS version that is approaching 9 years old it is more likely the site is coded to a version of HTML/CSS/javascript that is more recent than is supported by any compatible browser.

The internet is continually evolving and new standards are always coming on line. If you remain static it is inevitable you will find yourself locked out of more and more web pages as they inevitably evolve to newer technologies and standards.

As an aside the Webkit engine that Safari is built on is the most commonly used web browser engine. Originally Chrome and Opera used Webkit but recent versions have switched to Blink which is a recent (2013) fork of Webkit. Of course Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey use Gecko which the open source version of Mozilla.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #45739 07/18/17 04:06 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Except Safari always sucked.

I recall using it briefly a v. long time ago, but mainly what I remember is going from Netscape to IE to Firefox (the inheritor of Netscape). Apple stranded me at Safari 5.0.4, which barely works on 10.6. Pages load slowly, incorrectly, and not at all. There are no extensions for ad blocking (only with later versions). Apple created it, neglected it, then abandoned it, which is their common practice.

I retrieved my Apple ID yesterday by using Windows 7 on a ten year old Dell laptop. After five minutes, the whole thing was resolved. This is what I'm talking about with Apple. Used to be you bought a Mac because "it just worked". That's not true anymore. I read Macintouch every day about the experiences people have and it disgusts me.

Now I'm also trying to log in to iTunes because it keeps nagging me every time I start it. I entered my new password but it didn't work. So I'm wondering how many Apple IDs I have. I guess two: one Apple ID and one itunes ID. But itunes should have accepted my new password.

My other question is whether I can delete these accounts. I don't know why I need them unless I'm going to buy music from itunes, which isn't going to happen. I tried to delete my credit card information from my itunes account in the past but was unable to do so. That is v. annoying. I don't want that on Apple's unreliable servers.

Last edited by deniro; 07/18/17 04:07 PM.
joemikeb #45740 07/18/17 04:11 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, it's puzzling to me and annoying that Firefox on Windows works so much better than Firefox on Mac. I noticed many years ago that the internet experience is better on Windows than on the Mac. That's why I bought my parents a Dell.

deniro #45741 07/18/17 09:35 PM

Except Safari always sucked.

I've only ever used Safari and, while there's been the odd annoyance (to be expected with any browser, I expect), I've never experienced a level of difficulty that would cause me to want to change.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
deniro #45742 07/18/17 09:37 PM

I noticed many years ago that the internet experience is better on Windows than on the Mac. That's why I bought my parents a Dell.

Again, this may depend on individual experiences. My daughter just got her first non-Mac (a Dell), for financial reasons, and is now kicking herself for not scraping up the extra dough to get a Mac.

Last edited by ryck; 07/18/17 09:38 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
deniro #45743 07/19/17 06:32 AM

My other question is whether I can delete these accounts. I don't know why I need them unless I'm going to buy music from itunes, which isn't going to happen. I tried to delete my credit card information from my itunes account in the past but was unable to do so. That is v. annoying. I don't want that on Apple's unreliable servers.

I deleted my credit card from my macOS App Store account once and was unable to log in afterwards, so I was forced to reenter it. Even though it's a card with a very low credit limit I very much resent having to keep it on file wth Apple, particularly since I never have and don't intend to ever buy anything from either the macOS or iOS App Store.

Apple is the only entity with which I deal that forces me to leave my credit card number on file. mad

artie505 #45744 07/19/17 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I deleted my credit card from my macOS App Store account once and was unable to log in afterwards, so I was forced to reenter it. Even though it's a card with a very low credit limit I very much resent having to keep it on file wth Apple, particularly since I never have and don't intend to ever buy anything from either the macOS or iOS App Store.

Did I miss something? Why would you re-enter a credit card at a place where you don't intend to shop? Did the removal of that card, from that Apple site, bar you from other Apple places?

Last edited by ryck; 07/19/17 12:38 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #45747 07/19/17 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: artie505

Did I miss something? Why would you re-enter a credit card at a place where you don't intend to shop? Did the removal of that card, from that Apple site, bar you from other Apple places?

Deleting my credit card resulted in my inability to log in to my "Purchased" tab at the App Store where I"ve got to go, regardless of the fact that I don't buy anything there.

artie505 #45748 07/19/17 04:27 PM

Well, that's certainly a pain.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard