for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
3 password requests on start/restart
#45565 07/04/17 09:57 AM
OP Online

This topic was threatening another thread, so I"ve moved it.

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
...although having to enter my password three times after every restart has more than compensated. smile --> frown

My question to you is about the three passwords. What three passwords? – I am getting along just fine with only one!

After every start and restart I've got to deal with these three guys .

I'm pretty sure it began with Sierra, and I've accepted it as a new consequence of my login and keychain passwords differing. Has that been a bad assumption?

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Easy fix. Somewhere along the line your account password has been changed but not the password for your keychains.
  1. Launch Keychain Access
  2. Select one of the keychains
  3. on the Keychain Menu Bar select Edit > Change password for keychain "XXXXX" ...
  4. For curent password enter the password you have been using to unlock that keychain
  5. For the new keychain enter the exact password you are using for your account
  6. Repeat these steps for each of the three keychains involved

Nope, that's not the problem; my login and keychain passwords have been different - and unchanged - since time immemorial.

What's happened is that through El Cap, after every start/restart I was prompted to enter my keychain password once, but since Sierra, I'm prompted to enter it three times.

The above screenshot shows the two persistent requests I get - from accountsd and Safari - and an additional one from identityservicesd, and this one shows two additional non-persistent requests.

I've reinstalled Keychain Access with Pacifist, but with no joy.

Is anybody else experiencing the same thing?

Has anybody got any ideas about what's going on?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: 3 password requests on start/restart
artie505 #45569 07/04/17 10:53 PM

I've experienced a variant of the behavior you report for years, and I've always assumed that it's because some of my passwords are maintained in older keychains which I've added to ~/Library/Keychains/ in the course of installing newer OS versions. (I generally do a clean installation on a new blank partition and do not use Migration Assistant.)

So when Mail, for instance, is launched automatically at login, retrieval of one or more of my mail account passwords requires a previous login keychain to be unlocked.

This isn't exactly the same as what you're experiencing, but it might be worth considering whether some login process is looking for information that isn't contained in your login keychain.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Re: 3 password requests on start/restart
dkmarsh #45580 07/06/17 05:14 AM
OP Online

Thanks for nudging me in the right direction. smile

Your mention of Mail and login processes reminded me that I had added Mail and Safari to my login items a bunch of months ago, and I got to wondering.

Well, some experimentation (back to square one...thank goodness for 13 second restarts) showed that rather than waiting in the background for me to enter my login keychain password (as I'd expect well behaved apps to do) they were jumping the gun and popping up their own password requests.

I've deleted the two apps from my login items, and I'm back to only one password request...from identityservicesd...for my login keychain password. (Feedback submitted to Apple.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard