for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
print history... feature or problem?
#45574 07/05/17 08:57 PM
OP Offline

I was just shown that my computer is keeping track of my print history - a list of all my completed print jobs. It appears to be possible to reprint them but the instructions I found online aren't working. Also, it's possible to disable the maintaining of this history, but I've only found the terminal command for it (in cupsctl, an UNDOCUMENTED switch) and the instructions were last seen for 10.5. It may be the case that you have to get into terminal now to edit cups.conf to manually set the switch as the cupsctl may not even be able to do it anymore.

This took me rather by surprise, I didn't believe that my computer was keeping a history of my printing. Seems like a major problem that will freak out those that do things like clearing or disabling browser cookies or clearing their web cache / deleting browser history. What you print I'd think would fall into the same privacy category. Browse to get info, print it off, clear cookies and history... but LOOK at what you left behind!

Discussion?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: print history... feature or problem?
Virtual1 #45575 07/05/17 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I was just shown that my computer is keeping track of my print history - a list of all my completed print jobs.

First, where do we find it on our own machines?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #45577 07/05/17 10:16 PM

The next question is whether or not that history is eradicated when the printing system is reset.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45578 07/05/17 11:18 PM

On my computer, MacOS 10.12.5 / Safari v10.1.1, I am unable to access either localhost or 127.0.0.0 port 631 to get to the CUPS embedded http page.

I have used both paths in the past successfully on earlier versions.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #45579 07/05/17 11:59 PM

Same configuration as yours, and I just accessed http://localhost:631 successfully.

Jobs > Show Completed Jobs had eight entries, all like

Code:
ID	Name	User	Size	Pages	State	Control
Canon_LBP6000_LBP6018-248 	Unknown 	Withheld 	3385k 	Unknown 	completed at
Sat Jul 1 04:57:14 2017  

but no useful info.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45586 07/06/17 04:19 PM

I was able to access http://localhost:631 (note: printer must be "on"), but it took me to the CUPS Home page. Info about the non-profit organization.

The only items that seem to be related to my printer—Administration, Printers—were disabled, but there was a command shown that would turn on web page viewing of these resources.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #45587 07/06/17 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
I was able to access http://localhost:631 (note: printer must be "on"), but it took me to the CUPS Home page. Info about the non-profit organization.

The only items that seem to be related to my printer—Administration, Printers—were disabled, but there was a command shown that would turn on web page viewing of these resources.

I've accessed that URL with my printer off more than once.

I forget exactly what I did, but I think I turned on web page viewing and got to this, but as I said, no useful info.

Ira L #45589 07/07/17 04:11 AM

I'm going to guess that in my case it might be because I have no CUPS drivers in the batting order for any/all of the printers I have enabled.....ALL have drivers from their respective manufacturer(s). So no system call to run CUPSd?

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #45590 07/07/17 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
I'm going to guess that in my case it might be because I have no CUPS drivers in the batting order for any/all of the printers I have enabled.....ALL have drivers from their respective manufacturer(s). So no system call to run CUPSd?

I"ve got only one printer, my Canon, and its driver came directly from Canon.

MacManiac #45592 07/07/17 01:22 PM

I have two printers that utilize CUPS and I can't get to the CUPS system. I can't even connect to localhost by name or by IP address❓

— Albert Einstein
Virtual1 #45593 07/07/17 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I was just shown that my computer is keeping track of my print history - a list of all my completed print jobs. It appears to be possible to reprint them but the instructions I found online aren't working. Also, it's possible to disable the maintaining of this history, but I've only found the terminal command for it (in cupsctl, an UNDOCUMENTED switch) and the instructions were last seen for 10.5. It may be the case that you have to get into terminal now to edit cups.conf to manually set the switch as the cupsctl may not even be able to do it anymore.

This took me rather by surprise, I didn't believe that my computer was keeping a history of my printing. Seems like a major problem that will freak out those that do things like clearing or disabling browser cookies or clearing their web cache / deleting browser history. What you print I'd think would fall into the same privacy category. Browse to get info, print it off, clear cookies and history... but LOOK at what you left behind!

Discussion?
I just updated Tinker Tool System and noticed that, under the Misc tab, you can opt out of retaining print job history and also enable web interface of printing system..

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #45595 07/07/17 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I just updated Tinker Tool System and noticed that, under the Misc tab, you can opt out of retaining print job history and also enable web interface of printing system..

I have Marcel Bresink's TinkerTool System 5.6 (Build 170630) which according to the app and the web site is the latest version and there is no Misc Tab. In fact the apps search bar reports no tab beginning with Mi. What version are you using and where are you finding it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45596 07/07/17 03:08 PM

I just updated to TTS 5.6. Misc can be found via the System tab. I apologize for not making that clear. blush

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #45597 07/07/17 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I just updated to TTS 5.6. Misc can be found via the System tab. I apologize for not making that clear. blush

The tabs under TTP 5.6 > System are
  • Volumes
  • Screen
  • Preference Panes
  • Permissions
I still can’t find Misc. confused tongue crazy mad

I wonder if this is an artifact of High Sierra? I’ll ask Mercel Bresink

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45598 07/07/17 08:40 PM

In Sierra, the tabs are:

Drives, Volumes, Spotlight, Network, Screen, Preference Panes, Permissions, Misc.

Jon

jchuzi #45599 07/07/17 08:48 PM

I’ll let you know what I hear from Marcel on this.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45610 07/08/17 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Marcel Bresink
Yes, this will be a standard feature if you run TinkerTool System with a supported operating system (Mac OS X 10.6 to macOS 10.12).

…<snip>…

Running TinkerTool System with beta operating systems will not give you the full feature
set. Preview versions of macOS 10.13 are products under development which will change
their feature sets almost every week. It does not make sense to adapt a system utility
such as TinkerTool System with the same speed, because this might only have a lifetime
of a few days.

This setting may or may not be re-added later. It is Apple's policy not to disclose all
details of unreleased systems up to the official publication date. This is planned to
be in fall 2017. TinkerTool System 5 is planned to officially support the completed
macOS 10.13 on the same date.

For more information, please also see the chapter "Release Notes" in the reference
manual of TinkerTool System, or page 229 of the printable version, respectively.

So apparently I can look forward your additional functions appearing in TinkerTool System for High Sierra at some point in the future — or not.

— Albert Einstein
Virtual1 #45645 07/10/17 05:33 PM
OP Offline

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6838922

and that's how to do it. apparently job retention is off by default. Buy default only the destination printer, job size, and date printed are retained.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard