An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
someone needs to take control of my computer?
#45570 07/05/17 02:57 PM
OP Offline

I just got this popup again for no obvious reason: "SamplingTools needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue. Type your password to allow this"

I get this random popup on rare occasion. Googling around found it's probably a crash debugging feature added around Yosemite. It seems to be getting caused by a lot of apps, things like Audacity and Bento etc.

I'd like to know more about this message, it really doesn't sound like the kind of popup an average user ought to expect to see. I don't know what's causing it, there's no way a novice would have any idea what it was for, and it's asking for my computer password, something you REALLY don't want novice users to be hammering in anytime they're asked for it without knowing why.

(similar example: http://i.imgur.com/UCcvltO.png)

To be clear, this was totally unprovoked by me. I was using Mail and Safari at the time it appeared, and I don't have any non-apple apps launched at the moment. (though I do have a few background things installed like google drive etc, very likely one of them triggered this out of the blue)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: someone needs to take control of my computer?
Virtual1 #45573 07/05/17 06:09 PM

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: someone needs to take control of my computer?
Virtual1 #45720 07/17/17 05:40 AM

Are you by any chance using XCode? The only time this message should ever come up, as far as I know, is if you installed XCode and enabled the developer tools but didn't enter an administrator password the first time you ran XCode.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard