FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Little Snitch
#45374 06/25/17 10:49 PM
OP Offline

I have been thinking about adding Little Snitch to my extensions. When reading the reviews, it is referred to as a firewall. I don't know if Adware or any other ad- stopping extension is considered a firewall but.......way back my ISP guy (small company) said that my modem or was it my router - had a firewall built in and if I put up the firewall in my Mac they could conflict. So, I never did that.

I am wondering if Little Snitch (if it is a firewall)I would conflict with the firewall in my modem more router? He also calls the modem a radio.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Little Snitch
plantsower #45375 06/26/17 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I have been thinking about adding Little Snitch to my extensions. When reading the reviews, it is referred to as a firewall. I don't know if Adware or any other ad- stopping extension is considered a firewall but.......way back my ISP guy (small company) said that my modem or was it my router - had a firewall built in and if I put up the firewall in my Mac they could conflict. So, I never did that.

I am wondering if Little Snitch (if it is a firewall)I would conflict with the firewall in my modem more router? He also calls the modem a radio.

Little Snitch is neither an extension nor a firewall; it's an app that prevents other apps and processes from calling OUT of your MBP, as opposed to a firewall which prevents outsiders from gaining access to it.

I know virtually nothing about modems/routers with built-in firewall software, but I'd be skeptical about trusting my security to one rather than the firewall built into macOS.

Edit: I advise your NOT buying LS until you've used it in trial mode for a while to see if you like it; it's kinda wearing.

Last edited by artie505; 06/26/17 12:33 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45376 06/26/17 12:50 AM
OP Offline

If I remember correctly, I did have the Mac firewall up and there was a problem and my ISP guy told me there could be a conflict. It's been so long ago I can't remember now. But, I'm not Leary of him at all having dealt with him several times and lots of times in person where he makes free house calls!

From what I can see, LS is free. Would you explain what you mean be "wearing?"

Originally Posted By: artie505

Little Snitch is neither an extension nor a firewall; it's an app that prevents other apps and processes from calling OUT of your MBP, as opposed to a firewall which prevents outsiders from gaining access to it.

I know virtually nothing about modems/routers with built-in firewall software, but I'd be skeptical about trusting my security to one rather than the firewall built into macOS.

Edit: I advise your NOT buying LS until you've used it in trial mode for a while to see if you like it; it's kinda wearing.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45377 06/26/17 01:16 AM

If I remember correctly, I did have the Mac firewall up and there was a problem and my ISP guy told me there could be a conflict. It's been so long ago I can't remember now. But, I'm not Leary of him at all having dealt with him several times and lots of times in person where he makes free house calls!

I'd like to hear what others have to say about your firewall conflict.

LS costs $35, but it's got a "free" mode in which you've got to restart it every three hours.

Originally Posted By: Little Snitch
Little Snitch 3.7.4

Little Snitch offers a free, built-in demo mode that provides the same protection and functionality as the full version. The demo runs for three hours, and it can be restarted as often as you like. The Network Monitor expires after 30 days.

LS inundates you with connection requests, the specifics of most of which you've got no idea about, and deciding which ones to allow or disallow for now or forever will wear you down.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45378 06/26/17 03:00 AM
OP Offline

Yeah, I'd like to hear about the firewall issue, too. I never read anything about all the requests in LS in the reviews. They were mostly positive. Thanks for the heads up.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about your firewall conflict.

LS costs $35, but it's got a "free" mode in which you've got to restart it every three hours.

Originally Posted By: Little Snitch
Little Snitch 3.7.4

Little Snitch offers a free, built-in demo mode that provides the same protection and functionality as the full version. The demo runs for three hours, and it can be restarted as often as you like. The Network Monitor expires after 30 days.

LS inundates you with connection requests, the specifics of most of which you've got no idea about, and deciding which ones to allow or disallow for now or forever will wear you down.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45379 06/26/17 05:28 AM

I never read anything about all the requests in LS in the reviews. They were mostly positive. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm happy with Little Snitch...glad that I bought it, but I've now got 229 allow/don't allow rules, and I still get countless requests that I allow/don't allow on a one-time basis; there may be an easier way to run it, but someone will have to point me to it.

More: LS has a "Silent" mode in which ALL connections are automatically allowed, but while it makes your life considerably easier it's purpose defeating.

Last edited by artie505; 06/26/17 07:24 AM.

plantsower #45380 06/26/17 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Plantsower

Sounds to me as if your guy was fishing for an answer to a problem he did not fully understand. It is possible the one firewall might block a port the other has open, but that is not a conflict per. se. According to this Webopedia article and common wisdom(?) pairing the software firewall in your computer with the hardware firewall in your router is the ideal situation.

FWIW, I have run with the firewall on my Mac turned on and the firewall in my router turned on for a decade or more with no problems.

As to Lil Snitch, I second Artie's recommendation to try it before you buy it. Because he and others have rhapsodized about how wonderful it is so often and so long, I decided to try it. My conclusion is that it does what it works well, does what it purports to do, and could be useful; but personaly I found it intolerably annoying and deleted it.

If I am feeling extra cautious about security I will turn on VPN Unlimited and when feeling downright paranoid I switch to the TOR browser and onion routing with full hiding enabled. There are a lot of places I can't go and things I can't do in that mode, but I do feel more secure. crazy

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #45381 06/26/17 03:57 PM
OP Offline

I think I will pass since it's so annoying. I used an anti-virus for the Mac years ago, and it was constantly saying I had a lot of viruses. I chose to put my head in the sand and got rid of it rather than worry and feel paranoid about it constantly.

I never read anything about all the requests in LS in the reviews. They were mostly positive. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm happy with Little Snitch...glad that I bought it, but I've now got 229 allow/don't allow rules, and I still get countless requests that I allow/don't allow on a one-time basis; there may be an easier way to run it, but someone will have to point me to it.

More: LS has a "Silent" mode in which ALL connections are automatically allowed, but while it makes your life considerably easier it's purpose defeating.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #45382 06/26/17 04:02 PM
OP Offline

OK, I will turn on my firewall. If I get a few weird problems I will turn it off and see if it makes a difference.

As I told Artie, I will probably not use LS since I don't need anymore annoyances in my life.

Regarding Tor, I use it at times. I see that they use DuckDuckGo. Is using Tor a double protection or why not just use DuckDuckGo by itself? And what is onion routing? Something like a VPN?

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Sounds to me as if your guy was fishing for an answer to a problem he did not fully understand. It is possible the one firewall might block a port the other has open, but that is not a conflict per. se. According to this Webopedia article and common wisdom(?) pairing the software firewall in your computer with the hardware firewall in your router is the ideal situation.

FWIW, I have run with the firewall on my Mac turned on and the firewall in my router turned on for a decade or more with no problems.

As to Lil Snitch, I second Artie's recommendation to try it before you buy it. Because he and others have rhapsodized about how wonderful it is so often and so long, I decided to try it. My conclusion is that it does what it works well, does what it purports to do, and could be useful; but personaly I found it intolerably annoying and deleted it.

If I am feeling extra cautious about security I will turn on VPN Unlimited and when feeling downright paranoid I switch to the TOR browser and onion routing with full hiding enabled. There are a lot of places I can't go and things I can't do in that mode, but I do feel more secure. crazy

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #45389 06/26/17 05:08 PM

There should be an option in the popup to allow and remember or deny and remember, in which case it won't ask you again. It adds a rule (which you can later edit)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
plantsower #45395 06/26/17 09:04 PM

Regarding Tor, I use it at times. I see that they use DuckDuckGo. Is using Tor a double protection or why not just use DuckDuckGo by itself? And what is onion routing? Something like a VPN?

In reverse order:
  • This Wikipedia article describes the details of Onion Routing: but in practice it is a technique of sending every communication through at least three remote servers located in countries other than the contry of origin with point to point encryption between each server as well as end to end encryption. Think of Onion Routing as a VPN on steroids to the point it is used by the NSA, USAF, USN, State Department, FBI, and a host of other super secure government agencies.
  • This Wikipedia article does a good job of explaining DuckDuckGo and how it differs from Google et. al. I have changed the setting in all my browsers to make DuckDuckGo the default search engine. I have come to prefer DuckDuckGo's search results to Google often listing excellent resources on the first search page that would be so deeply buried in a Google query I would be very unlikely to ever see.
If you will pardon a homely analogy, the TOR router, Onion Routing, and DuckDuckGo are like a three legged milking stool. Each supports your privacy smile in a different direction and if you take any one away the stool is almost impossible to keep fully upright.

— Albert Einstein
Virtual1 #45396 06/26/17 09:05 PM
OP Offline

So it adds a rule to keep others out or what? If it does the job without me doing anything that's great. Otherwise what's the point? confused

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

There should be an option in the popup to allow and remember or deny and remember, in which case it won't ask you again. It adds a rule (which you can later edit)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #45397 06/26/17 09:07 PM
OP Offline

Your analogy made it clear! Thank you.

In reverse order:
  • This Wikipedia article describes the details of Onion Routing: but in practice it is a technique of sending every communication through at least three remote servers located in countries other than the contry of origin with point to point encryption between each server as well as end to end encryption. Think of Onion Routing as a VPN on steroids to the point it is used by the NSA, USAF, USN, State Department, FBI, and a host of other super secure government agencies.
  • This Wikipedia article does a good job of explaining DuckDuckGo and how it differs from Google et. al. I have changed the setting in all my browsers to make DuckDuckGo the default search engine. I have come to prefer DuckDuckGo's search results to Google often listing excellent resources on the first search page that would be so deeply buried in a Google query I would be very unlikely to ever see.
If you will pardon a homely analogy, the TOR router, Onion Routing, and DuckDuckGo are like a three legged milking stool. Each supports your privacy smile in a different direction and if you take any one away the stool is almost impossible to keep fully upright.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Virtual1 #45403 06/27/17 07:36 AM

There's a "Forever" option in the pop-up; I use it with extreme frequency.

It's the volume of pop-ups, "Forever" notwithstanding, that's the problem.

plantsower #45404 06/27/17 07:46 AM

So it adds a rule to keep others out or what? If it does the job without me doing anything that's great. Otherwise what's the point? confused

Keeping others out is a firewall's job; Little Snitch is, so to speak, a reverse firewall that keeps others IN by not allowing them to call out...if you so choose.

It can't do its job without you doing anything, because it doesn't know which outgoing calls are acceptable to you and which aren't; you've got to make the determination on an instance by instance basis.

joemikeb #45405 06/27/17 09:31 AM

Although many of us have endorsed Little Snitch, I don't recall anybody ever having professed feelings about it that even approached rhapsodizing.

I wonder if you installed version 2 or 3, the latter being considerably more annoying than the former was.

My biggest problem with v 3 (I posted about it a while back.) was that it presented me with an absurd number of connection requests from every website I visited, which I ultimately realized resulted from the devs having dropped the v 2 default rules that allowed all connection requests from WebKit to either port 80 (http) or port 443 (https); restoring those rules made my life considerably easier.

My remaining big problem with v 3 is that it pops-up an awful lot of requests from system processes, which I suspect is because of the devs having dropped additional v 2 default rules.

From where I stand, there's no purpose to the volume of connection requests that LS makes me deal with, particularly because the dev's database has got mostly non-specific, generic reasons for them...when it's got any reasons at all, and, accordingly, I've got no way to evaluate the requests on which I'm being asked to pass judgement.

Perhaps the devs would consider this "dummy mode", but I'd be an awful lot happier with LS if it offered a pref to allow, forever, all call-out requests from system processes, except those related to location services, and all requests from Apple installed apps with the exception of Mail and Safari.

And by bizarre coincidence, LS's dev team just this second responded to my feature request for "an option in Little Snitch to allow, by default, any request to call out by OS X/macOS system functions and Apple apps other than Safari and Mail" with "We will provide such managed rules with the forthcoming major release Little Snitch version 4." (There's a public beta of v 4 which I may try.)

By the way, I fully understand your having deleted LS, particularly if it was v 3 which requires an awful lot of user interaction to defend against an almost non-existent threat. Had I know in advance what its installation was going to entail I probably wouldn't have paid for the upgrade, and I just might ditch it altogether rather than pay for v 4.

Paranoia is a phenomenal sales tool! tongue

artie505 #45409 06/27/17 01:00 PM

Oh it's so much more than that, it's a wonderful tool for manipulating people in general !

("Think of the Children" probably wins the lifetime achievement award)

Last edited by Virtual1; 06/27/17 01:01 PM.

artie505 #45411 06/27/17 05:13 PM
OP Offline

OK. My mail is definitely acting wonky. All of a sudden I had something in my trash which I never put there. I knew b/c I had a number above my mail icon. I checked and it was definitely trash. I emptied it and it also emptied my inbox which had all my fine tuned Mac stuff which I hadn't responded to yet! Damn it! AppleCare will be getting a call soon but sometimes they just don't know what to do. mad

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #45412 06/27/17 05:16 PM
OP Offline

I don't know what you mean by keeping them in and not calling out. I thought it was a utility letting you know who was trying to get in and giving me the choice to say "no"! I use ghostery which, I believe, keeps all of the ones they catch out. It lists all the sites that are trying to see what I am doing on a popup window.

Keeping others out is a firewall's job; Little Snitch is, so to speak, a reverse firewall that keeps others IN by not allowing them to call out...if you so choose.

It can't do its job without you doing anything, because it doesn't know which outgoing calls are acceptable to you and which aren't; you've got to make the determination on an instance by instance basis.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45414 06/27/17 06:11 PM

I don't know what you mean by keeping them in and not calling out. I thought it was a utility letting you know who was trying to get in and giving me the choice to say "no"!

Lil Snitch does not stop anything from being installed or appearing on your browser. For the internet to work and especially for eCommerce it is essential that your browser send a LOT of data to various web sites. Marketers (and others) take advantage of that to install cookies and code in web sites that “phone home” and report all of your internet activity even when you are not logged onto the originating web site. Lil Snitch monitors and filters that outgoing traffic. Ghostery purports to do much the same job, but is not as thorough and lacks the pinpoint discrimination provided by Lil Snitch. Although there is some duplication of effort Ghostery and similar apps strike me as a scattershot approach compared to Lil Snitch’s as a precision sniper approach. Of course the sniper approach requires the user to do a lot of target selection – a huge lot of target selection, and it never seems to quit needing further refinement. That’s what drove me crazy and eventually brought me to the conclusion it wasn’t worth the effort I was having to put into it.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45415 06/27/17 06:16 PM
OP Offline

Requiring target selection may be refined if they actually take Artie's advice for the next version like they said they would. I would like to know when that happens and then maybe download it.

I don't know what you mean by keeping them in and not calling out. I thought it was a utility letting you know who was trying to get in and giving me the choice to say "no"!

Lil Snitch does not stop anything from being installed or appearing on your browser. For the internet to work and especially for eCommerce it is essential that your browser send a LOT of data to various web sites. Marketers (and others) take advantage of that to install cookies and code in web sites that “phone home” and report all of your internet activity even when you are not logged onto the originating web site. Lil Snitch monitors and filters that outgoing traffic. Ghostery purports to do much the same job, but is not as thorough and lacks the pinpoint discrimination provided by Lil Snitch. Although there is some duplication of effort Ghostery and similar apps strike me as a scattershot approach compared to Lil Snitch’s as a precision sniper approach. Of course the sniper approach requires the user to do a lot of target selection – a huge lot of target selection, and it never seems to quit needing further refinement. That’s what drove me crazy and eventually brought me to the conclusion it wasn’t worth the effort I was having to put into it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Virtual1 #45423 06/28/17 07:41 AM

Oh it's so much more than that, it's a wonderful tool for manipulating people in general !

("Think of the Children" probably wins the lifetime achievement award)

"Manipulating" and "selling" are almost synonymous.

plantsower #45424 06/28/17 07:55 AM

OK. My mail is definitely acting wonky. All of a sudden I had something in my trash which I never put there. I knew b/c I had a number above my mail icon. I checked and it was definitely trash. I emptied it and it also emptied my inbox which had all my fine tuned Mac stuff which I hadn't responded to yet! Damn it! AppleCare will be getting a call soon but sometimes they just don't know what to do. mad

Uhhh... Like WOW! crazy

That makes absolutely no sense to me. Are you running any Mail plugins or anything else that affects Mail's behavior?

You're going to have an awful hard time explaining your problems to AppleCare without showing them hard evidence, so if the same thing happens again, call before you do anything else.

joemikeb #45425 06/28/17 08:09 AM

Great post, thanks, but you didn't mention that Little Snitch also monitors calls out by Apple and 3rd party apps and system processes, not to mention the nasty stuff that inspired both it and SIP.

Thinking about it, does SIP negate the necessity for LS and the other "paranoiaware" out there, or are there still unprotected areas of vulnerability?

artie505 #45431 06/28/17 12:50 PM

Uhhh... Like WOW! crazy

That makes absolutely no sense to me. Are you running any Mail plugins or anything else that affects Mail's behavior?

My Mail.app seems to have become unreliable also. Just last night I moved a message from my inbox to a folder. It did not appear in the folder, and most definitely left the inbox. Search could no longer find it. Fortunately it was easily resent. Never did find the original. I've experienced other weirdness also, I was trying to move an item and the highlight on the folder was not appearing. Relaunch of Mail seems to restore normal behavior. I relaunch mail a lot lately it seems...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard