for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Changing Dock Icons
#45259 06/20/17 07:10 PM
OP Offline

I have been able to change my Dock Icons in the past using Candybar. It didn't work with Sierra but I read where I could still maybe do it with Liteicon. I went to their site and there was a warning that if the dock icons were changed it could mess with the OS system. I can't seem to find that warning today but I saw it the other day. Does this make sense or not? I really don't like the icons Apple provides and would like to change them but not at the cost of screwing something up.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Changing Dock Icons
plantsower #45295 06/22/17 05:19 PM
OP Offline

Bump!! Anybody??

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45298 06/22/17 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I have been able to change my Dock Icons in the past using Candybar.

I'm not sure what that means. I change dock icons simply by dragging them in or out of the dock, a process provided by the Apple software. Do you mean you want to "modify" the icons? In that case I am of no help, as it's not something I'd attempt - specifically for the concern that it might create issues elsewhere.

Last edited by ryck; 06/22/17 07:57 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #45301 06/22/17 08:34 PM

The icon that appears on the Dock is the same as the icon that appears in Finder. Changing folder icons is a piece of cake and there are a number of apps that will do that for you. Application icons on the other hand are embedded deeply in the application package.

Apparently Candybar is no longer supported and is incompatible with later version of MacOS so I downloaded LiteIcon from freemacsoft to check it out and got what was apparently a different warning which explains more fully what is going on:

Originally Posted By: LiteIcon alert
OS X El Capitan introduced a new security policy preventing LiteIcon from changing any system icon.

You can still continue to change your apps and volumes icons

The system integrity check is a security precaution to prevent malware from modifying system files. It can be turned off, but it is unwise to do so. I think you are going to have to learn to live with the icons Apple chose for their system applications and folders.

LiteIcon will allow you to change NON-system application and file icons to your heart's content as they are not subject to SIP (System Integrity Protection).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #45302 06/22/17 08:40 PM
OP Offline

Yes, I meant change them completely to look different. The Apple icons are boring, especially for mail and safari and I often get them mixed up because they are both blue. I know one is round but still...I changed them in Mavericks and I enjoyed the view a lot more. I remember when we used to be able to change the skins on Macs which included the scroll bar to another color. I loved that. The fun stuff is gone for me. frown

Originally Posted By: ryck
I have been able to change my Dock Icons in the past using Candybar.

I'm not sure what that means. I change dock icons simply by dragging them in or out of the dock, a process provided by the Apple software. Do you mean you want to "modify" the icons? In that case I am of no help, as it's not something I'd attempt - specifically for the concern that it might create issues elsewhere.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #45304 06/22/17 08:44 PM
OP Offline

Yep, I can change file icons easily with Candybar and I do. I used to be able to change the dock icons as well in Mavericks but not now. I was looking into being able to change the alias or duplicate of the dock icons, but I see it's not possible. I tried. People are changing the dock icons by turning off the SIP in the process and then turning it back on. But I am not going to try that.

I also hate the light gray color of everything in Apple now. It used to be fun and colorful. I really miss that.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The icon that appears on the Dock is the same as the icon that appears in Finder. Changing folder icons is a piece of cake and there are a number of apps that will do that for you. Application icons on the other hand are embedded deeply in the application package.

Apparently Candybar is no longer supported and is incompatible with later version of MacOS so I downloaded LiteIcon from freemacsoft to check it out and got what was apparently a different warning which explains more fully what is going on:

Originally Posted By: LiteIcon alert
OS X El Capitan introduced a new security policy preventing LiteIcon from changing any system icon.

You can still continue to change your apps and volumes icons

The system integrity check is a security precaution to prevent malware from modifying system files. It can be turned off, but it is unwise to do so. I think you are going to have to learn to live with the icons Apple chose for their system applications and folders.

LiteIcon will allow you to change NON-system application and file icons to your heart's content as they are not subject to SIP (System Integrity Protection).

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45305 06/22/17 08:45 PM

Yes, I meant change them completely to look different. The Apple icons are boring, especially for mail and safari and I often get them mixed up because they are both blue. I know one is round but still...I changed them in Mavericks and I enjoyed the view a lot more. I remember when we used to be able to change the skins on Macs which included the scroll bar to another color. I loved that. The fun stuff is gone for me. frown

Sadly a lot of the "fun stuff" created/creates opportunities for exploitation by the "bad guys". crazy

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45306 06/22/17 08:52 PM
OP Offline

Boo! There should be a safety net!

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Sadly a lot of the "fun stuff" created/creates opportunities for exploitation by the "bad guys". crazy

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45388 06/26/17 05:05 PM

Yes, I meant change them completely to look different. The Apple icons are boring, especially for mail and safari and I often get them mixed up because they are both blue. I know one is round but still...I changed them in Mavericks and I enjoyed the view a lot more. I remember when we used to be able to change the skins on Macs which included the scroll bar to another color. I loved that. The fun stuff is gone for me.

Go to the apps folder, select the app, get info. Click on the icon. paste. (assuming you have the icon you want on the clipboard)

That should change it in Finder. Now drag it into the dock. If it's already in the dock you may need to remove and re-add it.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #45394 06/26/17 09:02 PM
OP Offline

That doesn't seem to work anymore with dock or system items, just folders.

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Yes, I meant change them completely to look different. The Apple icons are boring, especially for mail and safari and I often get them mixed up because they are both blue. I know one is round but still...I changed them in Mavericks and I enjoyed the view a lot more. I remember when we used to be able to change the skins on Macs which included the scroll bar to another color. I loved that. The fun stuff is gone for me.

Go to the apps folder, select the app, get info. Click on the icon. paste. (assuming you have the icon you want on the clipboard)

That should change it in Finder. Now drag it into the dock. If it's already in the dock you may need to remove and re-add it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45408 06/27/17 12:45 PM

Code:
VIRTUALBOOK:/Applications/Photos.app/Contents/Resources root # chmod 666 AppIcon.icns 
chmod: Unable to change file mode on AppIcon.icns: Operation not permitted
VIRTUALBOOK:/Applications/Photos.app/Contents/Resources root # chmod -N AppIcon.icns 
chmod: Failed to clear ACL on file AppIcon.icns: Operation not permitted

have I mentioned lately just how much I LOVE how well Apple is doing lately at locking me out of my own computer? I remember the good ol days when ROOT was ROOT and not "root with training wheels"

FYI this is how it used to work: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/07/16/how-to-change-app-icon-mac/

Code:
VIRTUALBOOK:/Applications/Photos.app/Contents/Resources root # csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: enabled.

bastards! They keep turning that back on! Apparently I'm going to have to play whack-a-mole with Apple. So

Disabling SIP: https://apple.stackexchange.com/question...s-on-os-x-10-11

they recommend you turn it back on again after you're done doing whatever you naughty little user has done, OR you can just wait five minutes for Apple to turn it back on again for you!

FWIW: after you disable SIP you can change system application icons. you'll be prompted for your password when you change (or restore) them. Then just drag into dock. You may be able to cmd-click them if they're already in the dock to make them update.

Virtual1 #45413 06/27/17 05:20 PM
OP Offline

Right. I read about and mentioned the SIP method to change dock icons. I may do it someday. I know I have to turn it back on when I'm done.

What am I dragging into the dock, the changed icons?

Also, I'm not sure what all that code is you put in this post.

Code:
VIRTUALBOOK:/Applications/Photos.app/Contents/Resources root # chmod 666 AppIcon.icns 
chmod: Unable to change file mode on AppIcon.icns: Operation not permitted
VIRTUALBOOK:/Applications/Photos.app/Contents/Resources root # chmod -N AppIcon.icns 
chmod: Failed to clear ACL on file AppIcon.icns: Operation not permitted

have I mentioned lately just how much I LOVE how well Apple is doing lately at locking me out of my own computer? I remember the good ol days when ROOT was ROOT and not "root with training wheels"

FYI this is how it used to work: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/07/16/how-to-change-app-icon-mac/

Code:

bastards! They keep turning that back on! Apparently I'm going to have to play whack-a-mole with Apple. So

they recommend you turn it back on again after you're done doing whatever you naughty little user has done, OR you can just wait five minutes for Apple to turn it back on again for you!

FWIW: after you disable SIP you can change system application icons. you'll be prompted for your password when you change (or restore) them. Then just drag into dock. You may be able to cmd-click them if they're already in the dock to make them update.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Virtual1 #45421 06/28/17 07:10 AM

That reminds me of my ex-girlfriend's rants when DOS's accessibility went out the Windows.

Code:

they recommend you turn it back on again after you're done doing whatever you naughty little user has done, OR you can just wait five minutes for Apple to turn it back on again for you

What's that about? I've had SIP disabled since the day I installed El Cap, and it's never turned itself back on.

Code:
Last login: Tue Jun 27 15:44:59 on ttys000
Artie's-MacBook-Pro-2:~ artie$ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: disabled.
Artie's-MacBook-Pro-2:~ artie$ 

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #45422 06/28/17 07:35 AM

Right. I read about and mentioned the SIP method to change dock icons. I may do it someday. I know I have to turn it back on when I'm done.

I've run with SIP disabled since the day I installed El Cap (in which it originated)...close to two years ago.

On the one hand, sure, it can be dangerous, but on the other hand, why would anyone waste their time creating an exploit to target the minuscule number of people who are living dangerously.

The apps with the changed icons.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #45429 06/28/17 12:43 PM

Yeah it's not really a "method" (like you have a choice) so much as it's the only way. I suppose you might be able to boot off something else or target mode it and modify it from some other booted OS though.

I'm not turning SIP back on. Pisses me off every time I try to do something and can't even do it logged in as root. That's what root is FOR, when you need to bypass the security in the system to get something done. And they've crippled it. This is by far not the first time, root has gotten gradually more difficult to use and less effective when you do over the years. You can login as root. Not just in terminal, I mean like in Finder. I had all my service drives at work doing that because it saved a lot of headaches with the tools I ran. Then tools started breaking when logged in as root. (DiskWarrior most notably) And stuff in the os started breaking. Print dialog, save as pdf. Just stopped being there. The option just was GONE. Tried to report it to Apple and they replied basically saying "you're not supposed to login as root so we're not fixing it". Thanks for telling me how I'm not supposed to use my computer! (sorry, *I* will be the one to decide that!)

anyway sorry a bit of a rant there.

Yes you change the icon on the application itself, then drag it into the dock. If it's already in the dock, you can remove and re-add it, but you might just be able to get it to update by cmd-clicking on it in the dock, I've seen this work before.

You can ignore the code, that was just my trying to do stuff and being told "uh uh uh! You can't do that!" with a nice cute wag of the finger. Making me want to wag a finger too. Tired of my computer telling me how I am and how I'm not allowed to use it. I'm used to being able to casually brush aside those pesky limitations, but they're getting more and more difficult to sidestep as time goes on. I see us headed for "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

artie505 #45434 06/28/17 03:18 PM
OP Offline

Thanks!

The apps with the changed icons. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Virtual1 #45435 06/28/17 03:20 PM
OP Offline

OK, I think I will try to air drop my old dock icons over and see what happens. I didn't think of that.

I don't know that much about Linux but isn't Apple based on that? If you went pure Linux wouldn't you have more freedom? Not knowing what I am talking about this may be a dumb thing to say.

Yeah it's not really a "method" (like you have a choice) so much as it's the only way. I suppose you might be able to boot off something else or target mode it and modify it from some other booted OS though.

I'm not turning SIP back on. Pisses me off every time I try to do something and can't even do it logged in as root. That's what root is FOR, when you need to bypass the security in the system to get something done. And they've crippled it. This is by far not the first time, root has gotten gradually more difficult to use and less effective when you do over the years. You can login as root. Not just in terminal, I mean like in Finder. I had all my service drives at work doing that because it saved a lot of headaches with the tools I ran. Then tools started breaking when logged in as root. (DiskWarrior most notably) And stuff in the os started breaking. Print dialog, save as pdf. Just stopped being there. The option just was GONE. Tried to report it to Apple and they replied basically saying "you're not supposed to login as root so we're not fixing it". Thanks for telling me how I'm not supposed to use my computer! (sorry, *I* will be the one to decide that!)

anyway sorry a bit of a rant there.

Yes you change the icon on the application itself, then drag it into the dock. If it's already in the dock, you can remove and re-add it, but you might just be able to get it to update by cmd-clicking on it in the dock, I've seen this work before.

You can ignore the code, that was just my trying to do stuff and being told "uh uh uh! You can't do that!" with a nice cute wag of the finger. Making me want to wag a finger too. Tired of my computer telling me how I am and how I'm not allowed to use it. I'm used to being able to casually brush aside those pesky limitations, but they're getting more and more difficult to sidestep as time goes on. I see us headed for "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45641 07/10/17 05:15 PM

I don't know that much about Linux but isn't Apple based on that? If you went pure Linux wouldn't you have more freedom?

You have to turn off SIP to change those icons. I don't know of any other alternative. And turning off SIP (as described in one of my links above) requires booting off the recovery partition and entering a command in terminal. If that's not your cup of tea, you'll either need to find someone to do it for you or settle for the icons that Apple has given you.

Theoretically yes, "pure linux" gives you more freedom. It also removes most of the safeties that prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot, and makes things significantly less user-friendly, requiring a much more in-depth knowledge of the operating system to use it.

It gives you freedom like going out into the middle of the jungle gives you freedom. Yes you can do anything you want, but you might fall into quicksand or eat a deadly berry. There will be no internet let alone TV or mail. And making your own thatch hut is no picnic. But that's the tradeoff for "a lot more freedom".

Virtual1 #45642 07/10/17 05:19 PM
OP Offline

I am settling. Don't want to deal with recovery with my past experiences with it. Thank you!!

I don't know that much about Linux but isn't Apple based on that? If you went pure Linux wouldn't you have more freedom?

You have to turn off SIP to change those icons. I don't know of any other alternative. And turning off SIP (as described in one of my links above) requires booting off the recovery partition and entering a command in terminal. If that's not your cup of tea, you'll either need to find someone to do it for you or settle for the icons that Apple has given you.

Theoretically yes, "pure linux" gives you more freedom. It also removes most of the safeties that prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot, and makes things significantly less user-friendly, requiring a much more in-depth knowledge of the operating system to use it.

It gives you freedom like going out into the middle of the jungle gives you freedom. Yes you can do anything you want, but you might fall into quicksand or eat a deadly berry. There will be no internet let alone TV or mail. And making your own thatch hut is no picnic.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard