for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
No Trash?
#45340 06/24/17 07:09 AM
OP Offline

I have my MBP set to delete trash after a week. I usually do it myself everyday, but lately I've noticed that there is never anything in the trash after I delete! Any ideas?

I'm also getting email I send ending up in my draft folder. It's also in my sent folder so I assume it's been sent. I've looked it up, but I don't see any viable solutions to this. There is no longer an option to leave or not leave it on the server in Sierra, so how can I avoid this? And no, I don't use Gmail. cool

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: No Trash?
plantsower #45341 06/24/17 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I have my MBP set to delete trash after a week. I usually do it myself everyday, but lately I've noticed that there is never anything in the trash after I delete! Any ideas?

Huh? Why would there be anything in the trash AFTER you delete? wink

Did you mean to say that there's nothing to be deleted, i.e. that your trash is being emptied with no action on your part?

I'm also getting email I send ending up in my draft folder. It's also in my sent folder so I assume it's been sent. I've looked it up, but I don't see any viable solutions to this. There is no longer an option to leave or not leave it on the server in Sierra, so how can I avoid this? And no, I don't use Gmail. cool

I've got the same Draft/Sent thing happening, and yeah, the mail has actually been sent. (Sometimes the draft item disappears if I click away from "Drafts" and then back.) I'm just biting the bullet waiting for Apple to fix it.

Is your missing option Mail > Prefs > Account Information > Remove copy...? And if so, what does it have to do with the Draft/Sent issue?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #45342 06/24/17 11:59 AM

....lately I've noticed that there is never anything in the trash after I delete! Any ideas?

I'm still El Capitan but your experience seems much the same as mine and depends on how one gets rid of mail. If I use the "Delete" key, it's gone. If I click on the "Trash Icon", it's in the trash.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #45345 06/24/17 03:39 PM

I suspect that you read Rita's post as it was intended to be read, not as I apparently misinterpreted it. tongue

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #45346 06/24/17 03:39 PM

I haven't had my Starbucks yet so I may not be clearly understanding your questions. I assume (at my peril) that both questions refer to actions taken in Mail. When you delete a message in Apple Mail whether its by selecting it and clicking on the Trash Can icon or swiping to the left and selecting Trash what happens to the message depends on what Mailbox the message is in when you delete it and the Mailbox behaviors setting for the specific account. Assuming the normal default settings…
  • If it is in the Inbox, Archives, or Drafts/Sent it goes to the Trash.
  • If it is in Trash or Junk it goes into the great bit-bucket in the sky (i.e.. it is erased)
  • Note: you can change the target mail box for almost every action in Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors to suit your personal desires.
I have observed that although deleted messages disappear almost instantly from the Mail mailbox there is often a lag between its disappearance there and the files actual deletion on the IMAP server which can make it appear a message somehow undeleted itself. It should eventually disappear from the IMAP serve but that may take anywhere from a few seconds to even a few hours.

As to not leaving sent mail on the server in Mail > Settings > Mailbox Behaviors you can set the target mailbox for sent messages and one of the options is Trash. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to create a Sent mailbox "On My Mac" and choose that as the target for sent messages. Remember those settings are on an account by account basis so you have to set it for each account individually.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/24/17 03:44 PM. Reason: Clarification

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45351 06/24/17 04:16 PM
OP Offline

I hope this gets to everyone that answered me. To clarify, when I click on an email to delete it, whether it's in the junk (goes straight to cyber space- I didn't know that) or from the inbox, it never ends up in the trash like it used to. Why else would there be a trashcan if I can't use it? It just disappears. It still ends up in Trash on Mavericks and then I just delete it from there.

Also, the fact that some of my drafts disappear and reappear after deleting them several times I consider a bug. I used Apple feedback to report it though it's been happening for years as I look at forums. If you don't give them feedback, they seem oblivious to the problems or just don't care. I don't think they fix anything until a vast amount of people complain via feedback. I would be embarrassed if I sent my product out to the public (assuming I had a product) and had to continually patch it up b/c I didn't test it thoroughly.

I also used to be able to delete mail from the trash by choosing Command-Shift-Delete in Mavericks and a few times in Sierra. That doesn't work anymore in Sierra (except now nothing ends up in trash in Sierra) but still works in Mavericks.

And while I'm on my rant, when reading posts here I have to scroll back and forth to see the whole line. Making text smaller doesn't fix it. This happened before but finally stopped. It's starting up again and is aggravating. I guess I need to take a chill pill. It's all these little things that add up and make me cranky!

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

I haven't had my Starbucks yet so I may not be clearly understanding your questions. I assume (at my peril) that both questions refer to actions taken in Mail. When you delete a message in Apple Mail whether its by selecting it and clicking on the Trash Can icon or swiping to the left and selecting Trash what happens to the message depends on what Mailbox the message is in when you delete it and the Mailbox behaviors setting for the specific account. Assuming the normal default settings…
  • If it is in the Inbox, Archives, or Drafts/Sent it goes to the Trash.
  • If it is in Trash or Junk it goes into the great bit-bucket in the sky (i.e.. it is erased)
  • Note: you can change the target mail box for almost every action in Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors to suit your personal desires.
I have observed that although deleted messages disappear almost instantly from the Mail mailbox there is often a lag between its disappearance there and the files actual deletion on the IMAP server which can make it appear a message somehow undeleted itself. It should eventually disappear from the IMAP serve but that may take anywhere from a few seconds to even a few hours.

As to not leaving sent mail on the server in Mail > Settings > Mailbox Behaviors you can set the target mailbox for sent messages and one of the options is Trash. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to create a Sent mailbox "On My Mac" and choose that as the target for sent messages. Remember those settings are on an account by account basis so you have to set it for each account individually.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45355 06/25/17 08:15 AM

To clarify, when I click on an email to delete it, whether it's in the junk (goes straight to cyber space- I didn't know that) or from the inbox, it never ends up in the trash like it used to.

I also used to be able to delete mail from the trash by choosing Command-Shift-Delete in Mavericks and a few times in Sierra. That doesn't work anymore in Sierra (except now nothing ends up in trash in Sierra) but still works in Mavericks.

And while I'm on my rant, when reading posts here I have to scroll back and forth to see the whole line. Making text smaller doesn't fix it. This happened before but finally stopped. It's starting up again and is aggravating.

Is the Mail > Prefs > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors > Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox check-box checked for each of your mail accounts?

command-shift-D has never failed to empty my trash mailbox in Sierra.

I've only had to scroll to read FTM posts that included line-stretching links, but I can't recall more than one or two such posts in years.

I dunno... You've got an awful lot of issues for a pretty much pristine installation; I wonder if it would be worth your while to d/l and run the macOS Sierra 10.12.5 Combo Update.

artie505 #45356 06/25/17 04:15 PM
OP Offline

I wish it wasn't so hard to transfer a screen shot here. I tried the other day but it gave me a pain. Anyway, I did upgrade to 10.12.5 the other day.

As far as following your instructions to move deleted messages to the trash, I don't have that option under mail behaviors. Next to the Trash Mailbox there, there is a dropdown box that says Trash. Under that it says "erase deleted messages:" Then there is another drop down box offering me a choice of erasing deleted messages after one day, one week or one month. But they are already gone so I never had to delete. I'll just live with it.

As far as the having to scroll side to side, I found it was because I had it in full screen (which hides the tool bar and I hate that) and made it too wide. I resized the window and it fits now. I'm just not used to that.

Originally Posted By: artie505
To clarify, when I click on an email to delete it, whether it's in the junk (goes straight to cyber space- I didn't know that) or from the inbox, it never ends up in the trash like it used to.

And while I'm on my rant, when reading posts here I have to scroll back and forth to see the whole line. Making text smaller doesn't fix it. This happened before but finally stopped. It's starting up again and is aggravating.

Is the Mail > Prefs > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors > Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox check-box checked for each of your mail accounts?

command-shift-D has never failed to empty my trash mailbox in Sierra.

I've only had to scroll to read FTM posts that included line-stretching links, but I can't recall more than one or two such posts in years.

I dunno... You've got an awful lot of issues for a pretty much pristine installation; I wonder if it would be worth your while to d/l and run the macOS Sierra 10.12.5 Combo Update.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45357 06/25/17 06:08 PM

I wish it wasn't so hard to transfer a screen shot here. I tried the other day but it gave me a pain.

As far as following your instructions to move deleted messages to the trash, I don't have that option under mail behaviors.

Imgur is awfully easy to use; I'm surprised that you had a problem with it.

If you don't see this, it's probably because you're using IMAP, not POP.

In that case, click on the ? in the lower right hand corner, and you'll see a bunch of IMAP options, one of which may be the answer for which you're looking.

plantsower #45358 06/25/17 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Plantsower
As far as following your instructions to move deleted messages to the trash, I don't have that option under mail behaviors. Next to the Trash Mailbox there, there is a dropdown box that says Trash. Under that it says "erase deleted messages:" Then there is another drop down box offering me a choice of erasing deleted messages after one day, one week or one month. But they are already gone so I never had to delete. I'll just live with it.

Assuming you are using Mail 10.3 (3273) that ships with Sierra (MacOS 10.12.5) — when you go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox behaviors the window would look something like this. If you click on the Trash drop down you should get a list of all the mailboxes available to that account. That includes mailboxes on the IMAP server as well as mailboxes On My Mac. (Okay so I overdo it on mailboxes but it helps keep me organized and that is no small task so no snide comments please.) You can then set the automatic deletion/erase here.

NOTES:
  1. Since you have multiple accounts, you will have to do this for each account individually.
  2. If you want an option other than Trash, then go to the account and create additional mailboxes and name them what you will.
  3. If you do not want the trash stored on the IMAP server, you can create a Trash folder On My Mac and point the accounts there.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45359 06/25/17 08:09 PM
OP Offline

I followed your instructions as far as putting trash into the dropdown box and then tested it by sending emails to all my accounts and then deleting them. Nothing went into trash. I also don't have anything that says "deleted files" in the drop down box. I think I am really going to have to call AppleCare as it would be a lot easier if I had someone go into my computer and see what I'm talking about. Thanks for your help. Your instructions a very clear but it's I'm just not seeing the same thing.

You don't have Teamviewer or some other way of seeing what I am talking about, do you? Otherwise, AppleCare can get into my computer with me and see what I am talking about.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: Plantsower

Assuming you are using Mail 10.3 (3273) that ships with Sierra (MacOS 10.12.5) — when you go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox behaviors the window would look something like this. If you click on the Trash drop down you should get a list of all the mailboxes available to that account. That includes mailboxes on the IMAP server as well as mailboxes On My Mac. (Okay so I overdo it on mailboxes but it helps keep me organized and that is no small task so no snide comments please.) You can then set the automatic deletion/erase here.

NOTES:
  1. Since you have multiple accounts, you will have to do this for each account individually.
  2. If you want an option other than Trash, then go to the account and create additional mailboxes and name them what you will.
  3. If you do not want the trash stored on the IMAP server, you can create a Trash folder On My Mac and point the accounts there.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #45360 06/25/17 08:11 PM
OP Offline

See my response to JoeMike. smile.

I wish it wasn't so hard to transfer a screen shot here. I tried the other day but it gave me a pain.

As far as following your instructions to move deleted messages to the trash, I don't have that option under mail behaviors.

Imgur is awfully easy to use; I'm surprised that you had a problem with it.

If you don't see this, it's probably because you're using IMAP, not POP.

In that case, click on the ? in the lower right hand corner, and you'll see a bunch of IMAP options, one of which may be the answer for which you're looking.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45361 06/25/17 08:13 PM

You don't have Teamviewer...do you?

I hate to bring this up, but remember the last time you used TeamViewer? tongue

artie505 #45362 06/25/17 08:30 PM
OP Offline

Yeah, yeah. You're right. There is a way for friends to see what's on each other's Macs, though, right?

You don't have Teamviewer...do you?

I hate to bring this up, but remember the last time you used TeamViewer? tongue

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45363 06/25/17 08:37 PM

There is a way for friends to see what's on each other's Macs, though, right?

I've used Citrix with Verizon, but it and TV are enterprise (right word?) apps, and a quick look didn't turn up any similar peer to peer options.

You can share screenshots, but that's insufficient in this instance.

artie505 #45364 06/25/17 08:40 PM
OP Offline

I had a friend (don't know where he is anymore) that I let get into my Mac from his house to he could help me. He had a Mac, too. Isn't something screen sharing or something?

There is a way for friends to see what's on each other's Macs, though, right?

I've used Citrix with Verizon, but it and TV are enterprise (right word?) apps, and a quick look didn't turn up any similar peer to peer options.

You can share screenshots, but that's insufficient in this instance.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45365 06/25/17 08:48 PM

I had a friend (don't know where he is anymore) that I let get into my Mac from his house to he could help me. He had a Mac, too. Isn't something screen sharing or something?

I was looking at the App Store while you were posting, and ScreenSharingMenulet ($1.99) and Easy Remote Desktop ($0.99) sound like they'll work. (There's always AppleRemoteDesktop, but it's $79.99.)

And yeah, you're right, there's /Apps/System Prefs > Sharing > Screen Sharing, but I don't know if it works for what you want to do.

Last edited by artie505; 06/25/17 08:54 PM. Reason: More

artie505 #45366 06/25/17 09:16 PM
OP Offline

Maybe we could set up a time. I wonder how it works exactly. If it's like AppleCare, they point with a red arrow and I click where they point so they can see what's going on.

I was looking at the App Store while you were posting, and ScreenSharingMenulet ($1.99) and Easy Remote Desktop ($0.99) sound like they'll work. (There's always AppleRemoteDesktop, but it's $79.99.)

And yeah, you're right, there's /Apps/System Prefs > Sharing > Screen Sharing, but I don't know if it works for what you want to do.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45367 06/25/17 09:21 PM

Maybe we could set up a time. I wonder how it works exactly. If it's like AppleCare, they point with a red arrow and I click where they point so they can see what's going on.

I'd be happy to try, but It'd be a waste of time, because the only thing I know about IMSP is how to spell it tongue ; joemikeb's your go-to guy.

(With Citrix, the person on the other end can work my MBP if needed.)

artie505 #45368 06/25/17 09:21 PM
OP Offline

Here is what it can do. Screen Sharing

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #45369 06/25/17 09:23 PM
OP Offline

OK, if he's a mind to.

I'd be happy to try, but It'd be a waste of time, because the only thing I know about IMSP is how to spell it tongue ; joemikeb's your go-to guy.

(With Citrix, the person on the other end can work my MBP if needed.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45370 06/25/17 09:25 PM

I think Screen Sharing works only locally, not over the internet; additional input needed here.

I think your best bet is AppleCare.

artie505 #45371 06/25/17 09:41 PM
OP Offline

You're probably right. I might as well get my money's worth. Well, it's free for a year, but I paid for two more years. I can talk to them about other little things I need to figure out and not bother you guys so much. I'm sure after I get this all settled, I won't have to get on FTM for several months as usual.

I think Screen Sharing works only locally, not over the internet; additional input needed here.

I think your best bet is AppleCare.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard