for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Removing Vienna RSS feed
#45308 06/22/17 09:41 PM
OP Offline

I downloaded the RSS feed today called Vienna. I decided I didn't want it. I went to AppCleaner and removed what I could. I then went to EasyFind and with
"All Words", "Files & Folders, "Invisible Files" and "Ignore Case checked, it showed two files. When I included the Pkg. Contents a bunch more files showed up. Do you think it is safe to delete with pkg. contents checked?

I'm still trying to figure out CleanApp. Once I found a search box on it, but then couldn't find it again. It will take time.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Removing Vienna RSS feed
plantsower #45309 06/22/17 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I then went to EasyFind and with "All Words", "Files & Folders, "Invisible Files" and "Ignore Case checked, it showed two files. When I included the Pkg. Contents a bunch more files showed up. Do you think it is safe to delete with pkg. contents checked?

The additional stuff that "Include: Package Contents" finds is the contents of folders that EasyFind found without that box being checked, so, yeah, it's safe to delete it as long as it was safe to delete its parent(s) in the first place.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45310 06/22/17 10:35 PM
OP Offline

I wonder why there is that option then. Or is it b/c one might want to poke around the pkg for some reason? confused

Originally Posted By: artie505
I then went to EasyFind and with "All Words", "Files & Folders, "Invisible Files" and "Ignore Case checked, it showed two files. When I included the Pkg. Contents a bunch more files showed up. Do you think it is safe to delete with pkg. contents checked?

The additional stuff that "Include: Package Contents" finds is the contents of folders that EasyFind found without that box being checked, so, yeah, it's safe to delete it as long as it was safe to delete its parent(s) in the first place.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45311 06/22/17 11:17 PM

I wonder why there is that option then. Or is it b/c one might want to poke around the pkg for some reason? confused

OS X/macOS provides a means for looking inside packages, control-click > Show Package Contents, which EasyFind merely duplicates.

And yes, there are any number of instances in which one might want to poke around inside a package; I had to do it recently to get rid of the Notifications icon in my menu bar.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #45312 06/22/17 11:35 PM

I'm still trying to figure out CleanApp. Once I found a search box on it, but then couldn't find it again. It will take time.

The way I use CleanApp is
  1. click on the "Programs" icon at the top center of the window, which brings up a list of all apps on the system.
  2. Click on the app I want to delete in the list of apps in the left hand pane
  3. the right hand pane will be populated with
    • the app itself
    • the preference files
    • Further files.
  4. click on the reveal arrow by further files and other categories with their own reveal arrows appear.
  5. open those and additional files and folders will appear.
  6. Next to each item is a horseshoe shape that is filled in proportional to the number of CleanApp users who deleted those files as well.
  7. check the box to the left of each item you desire to delete
  8. at the bottom of the pane click the red trash can.

At the bottom of the app list there are options for narrowing the search parameters (I leave that set on "third party apps" which eliminates Apple and system apps from the list) and sorting the results as well as a search bar to find a specific app in the list of apps or you an simply scroll the list of apps — which is what I usually do.

To get to the other functions I mentioned click on the ellipse ( … ) at the top of the CleanApp window.

Always allow some time for CleanApp to populate the lists. There is a deamon that runs in background to track new installs and record what files and folders are involved. That is not essential, but it does speed populating the lists of files.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #45313 06/23/17 12:53 AM
OP Offline

I would probably never rummage around in packages because I don't know enough to know what I'm doing, but I wouldn't mind having notifications in my menu bar. How do I do that?

OS X/macOS provides a means for looking inside packages, control-click > Show Package Contents, which EasyFind merely duplicates.

And yes, there are any number of instances in which one might want to poke around inside a package; I had to do it recently to get rid of the Notifications icon in my menu bar.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #45314 06/23/17 12:56 AM
OP Offline

I am going to copy your steps and keep them to use. But as far as looking at all the options, I wouldn't know what I was looking at. I think that leaving it set on third party apps is a good idea. I am just hoping that those 3rd party apps haven't wrapped themselves up in something I need and that would go out in the trash should I get rid of them. That's my main concern.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

The way I use CleanApp is
  1. click on the "Programs" icon at the top center of the window, which brings up a list of all apps on the system.
  2. Click on the app I want to delete in the list of apps in the left hand pane
  3. the right hand pane will be populated with
    • the app itself
    • the preference files
    • Further files.
  4. click on the reveal arrow by further files and other categories with their own reveal arrows appear.
  5. open those and additional files and folders will appear.
  6. Next to each item is a horseshoe shape that is filled in proportional to the number of CleanApp users who deleted those files as well.
  7. check the box to the left of each item you desire to delete
  8. at the bottom of the pane click the red trash can.

At the bottom of the app list there are options for narrowing the search parameters (I leave that set on "third party apps" which eliminates Apple and system apps from the list) and sorting the results as well as a search bar to find a specific app in the list of apps or you an simply scroll the list of apps — which is what I usually do.

To get to the other functions I mentioned click on the ellipse ( … ) at the top of the CleanApp window.

Always allow some time for CleanApp to populate the lists. There is a deamon that runs in background to track new installs and record what files and folders are involved. That is not essential, but it does speed populating the lists of files.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45315 06/23/17 01:29 AM

...I wouldn't mind having notifications in my menu bar. How do I do that?

"Notifications" is in your menu bar by default...the icon at the extreme right end; you can modify its behavior in /Apps/System Prefs > Notifications.

plantsower #45316 06/23/17 01:55 AM

I am going to copy your steps and keep them to use. But as far as looking at all the options, I wouldn't know what I was looking at. I think that leaving it set on third party apps is a good idea. I am just hoping that those 3rd party apps haven't wrapped themselves up in something I need and that would go out in the trash should I get rid of them. That's my main concern.

Your concern is legitimate and understandable but there are three built in protections:
  1. The previously mentioned SIP is Apple's contribution because it prevents third party apps from modifying system files so they are highly unlikely to be involved
  2. Anything likely to be used by more than one application will almost certainly appear among the "Further files"
  3. CleanApp provides the little horseshoe icon to indicate the likelihood that the indicated file or folder is associated with the selected app. If it is completely filled in it is certainly associated with the app. If it only has a small corner filled in it is questionable

In my experience a low probability usually indicates a file or folder used by two apps from the same developer. This is common among Adobe and Miorosoft apps, less so with apps from other developers.

If you leave some files or folders it is likely they will be picked up in one or more of the "spring cleaning" routines.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #45317 06/23/17 03:34 AM
OP Offline

Which menu bar are you talking about? It's not in Safari. Siri is in the right right. I have to go to system prefs to get to it.

...I wouldn't mind having notifications in my menu bar. How do I do that?

"Notifications" is in your menu bar by default...the icon at the extreme right end; you can modify its behavior in /Apps/System Prefs > Notifications.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #45318 06/23/17 03:36 AM
OP Offline

OK, then I will try not to worry about it. I am adding these steps (this info) to my steps from you in the prior post. Thanks so much.

Your concern is legitimate and understandable but there are three built in protections:
  1. The previously mentioned SIP is Apple's contribution because it prevents third party apps from modifying system files so they are highly unlikely to be involved
  2. Anything likely to be used by more than one application will almost certainly appear among the "Further files"
  3. CleanApp provides the little horseshoe icon to indicate the likelihood that the indicated file or folder is associated with the selected app. If it is completely filled in it is certainly associated with the app. If it only has a small corner filled in it is questionable

In my experience a low probability usually indicates a file or folder used by two apps from the same developer. This is common among Adobe and Miorosoft apps, less so with apps from other developers.

If you leave some files or folders it is likely they will be picked up in one or more of the "spring cleaning" routines.

Last edited by plantsower; 06/23/17 03:38 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45324 06/23/17 01:37 PM

Which menu bar are you talking about? It's not in Safari. Siri is in the right right. I have to go to system prefs to get to it.

To the right of Siri at the extreme right end of the menu bar at the top or your screen there is an icon that looks like a miniature version of the following:

• —————-
  • ——————
  • ——————
Click on that icon and a window appears with two tabs Today and Notifications. The left tab (Today) shows items such as Calendar, Weather, and Reminders. The right tab (Notifications) shows up to a week of notifications that you have received.

System Preferences > Notifications is where you specify the type of notification that each app can use icon badges, Banners, Alerts, Sounds when the notification occurs.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/23/17 01:39 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45329 06/23/17 03:36 PM
OP Offline

Yep, I know about that icon. But when I clicked it, it showed the window of what notifications I have for the week like you said, but that's not what I want. I want to see all the apps that get notifications. I tried it again today and then looked at the bottom of that long window and found an icon that I clicked that brought me to the page I needed. So, now I have what I want. It takes two clicks instead of one, but that's okay. Now I can avoid going to the prefs to get it.

To the right of Siri at the extreme right end of the menu bar at the top or your screen there is an icon that looks like a miniature version of the following:

• —————-
  • ——————
  • ——————
Click on that icon and a window appears with two tabs Today and Notifications. The left tab (Today) shows items such as Calendar, Weather, and Reminders. The right tab (Notifications) shows up to a week of notifications that you have received.

System Preferences > Notifications is where you specify the type of notification that each app can use icon badges, Banners, Alerts, Sounds when the notification occurs.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard