for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
App Cleaner & Uninstaller
#45283 06/21/17 07:22 PM
OP Offline

I just noticed the App Cleaner and Uninstaller on my Mac in my Finder. Do you guys use this? I'm not sure I understand all the lingo. I am hoping it doesn't offer to remove something I need.

It's showing me things in "Remains' that can be deleted. It gets rid of service files whatever they are. I want to keep my Mac as clean and uncluttered as possible and this looks like a good tool. It offers other Apps to help along the way like Desk Inspecter, Disk Expert, Duplicates Expert and Clear Disk.

I tried to upload a screen shot from FreeImageHosting.net but kept getting the message: "There is a problem" but no clue what the problem is.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: App Cleaner & Uninstaller
plantsower #45285 06/21/17 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I just noticed the App Cleaner and Uninstaller on my Mac in my Finder. Do you guys use this? I'm not sure I understand all the lingo. I am hoping it doesn't offer to remove something I need.

It's showing me things in "Remains' that can be deleted. It gets rid of service files whatever they are. I want to keep my Mac as clean and uncluttered as possible and this looks like a good tool. It offers other Apps to help along the way like Desk Inspecter, Disk Expert, Duplicates Expert and Clear Disk.

I tried to upload a screen shot from FreeImageHosting.net but kept getting the message: "There is a problem" but no clue what the problem is.

I've never seen anything like that; what's its exact name, and where'd it come from?

I gave up on FreeImageHosting because of the same problem; I now use Imgur (Thanks, V1! smile )...easier to upload, and the URL it shows you is the one you use (but it's not as functional as FIH).

Last edited by artie505; 06/21/17 08:59 PM. Reason: Expand

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45286 06/21/17 09:45 PM
OP Offline

I tried to upload the screen shot of the App and also the screen shot of Finder with the App highlighted but it didn't work. Anyway, I found it in Finder when looking for AppCleaner (without a space) and found App Cleaner which was a different utility. I didn't put it there.

I tried to upload a screen shot from FreeImageHosting.net but kept getting the message: "There is a problem" but no clue what the problem is. [/quote]
I've never seen anything like that; what's its exact name, and where'd it come from?

I gave up on FreeImageHosting because of the same problem; I now use Imgur (Thanks, V1! smile )...easier to upload, and the URL it shows you is the one you use (but it's not as functional as FIH). [/quote] App Cleaner and Uninstaller in Finder

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45287 06/21/17 10:02 PM
OP Offline

Uh-Oh. Maybe I did download it thinking it was AppCleaner. It isn't in my downloads folder but then, again, neither is AppCleaner. I still think it looks like it would be good but what do I know? App Cleaner & Uniinstaller It's in the iTunes Store.

I tried to upload the screen shot of the App and also the screen shot of Finder with the App highlighted but it didn't work. Anyway, I found it in Finder when looking for AppCleaner (without a space) and found App Cleaner which was a different utility. I didn't put it there.

I gave up on FreeImageHosting because of the same problem; I now use Imgur (Thanks, V1! smile )...easier to upload, and the URL it shows you is the one you use (but it's not as functional as FIH). [/quote] App Cleaner and Uninstaller in Finder [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45288 06/21/17 11:57 PM

There are several such apps on the market. These apps are useful for removing apps you did not get from the App Store or did not come with their own uninstaller because they can help you locate a lot of files and folders that apps often scatter all over the user's account. There is a wide range of sophistication and guidance provided in the various apps, but all of them must be used wth discretion or you risk deleting something critical and even the possibility of having to re-installl the OS.

I have looked at AppCleaner & Uninstaller and from what I saw it is pretty much in the middle or lower end of a lot of similar apps and other apps that offer similar functionality such as TinkerTool System. The best I would say for it is its availability on the App Store and low price. Unless you download and try lots of apps from non-app store sources, you can probably live without it. If you are an app collector, IMO there are better more sophisticated alternatives — for a price.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45292 06/22/17 02:47 AM
OP Offline

I actually use AppCleaner (not the one I told you about) and EasyFind. Whatever AppCleaner leaves behind, EasyFind gets. When the App Cleaner and Uninstall mentioned service files, I was curious as to what they are and if removing them could cause a problem.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
There are several such apps on the market. These apps are useful for removing apps you did not get from the App Store or did not come with their own uninstaller because they can help you locate a lot of files and folders that apps often scatter all over the user's account. There is a wide range of sophistication and guidance provided in the various apps, but all of them must be used wth discretion or you risk deleting something critical and even the possibility of having to re-installl the OS.

I have looked at AppCleaner & Uninstaller and from what I saw it is pretty much in the middle or lower end of a lot of similar apps and other apps that offer similar functionality such as TinkerTool System. The best I would say for it is its availability on the App Store and low price. Unless you download and try lots of apps from non-app store sources, you can probably live without it. If you are an app collector, IMO there are better more sophisticated alternatives — for a price.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45293 06/22/17 02:02 PM

I actually use AppCleaner (not the one I told you about) and EasyFind. Whatever AppCleaner leaves behind, EasyFind gets. When the App Cleaner and Uninstall mentioned service files, I was curious as to what they are and if removing them could cause a problem.

Duh! Now I get it. Service files cover a broad spectrum and to a large extent what it covers depends on the application developers personal definition. In general you should not suffer any damage from removing "service" files but just in case I would...
  • Be sure I had a current Time Machine backup I could restore the "service files" from
  • Keep a record of what service files were deleted from where (screenshots are handy for this)
  • Never ever delete anything from the /System folder
  • Check the file and path to be sure you are deleting any system files

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45294 06/22/17 03:45 PM
OP Offline

Thanks.

Do the system files actually say system files?

If not what?

And if I choose to leave them because I don't want to screw anything up, do they take up much room? I only have a 125 gb SSD. After 5 years with my other MBP I still hadn't even used 50 gb of HD memory out of 500 gb.

Duh! Now I get it. Service files cover a broad spectrum and to a large extent what it covers depends on the application developers personal definition. In general you should not suffer any damage from removing "service" files but just in case I would...
  • Be sure I had a current Time Machine backup I could restore the "service files" from
  • Keep a record of what service files were deleted from where (screenshots are handy for this)
  • Never ever delete anything from the /System folder
  • Check the file and path to be sure you are deleting any system files

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45296 06/22/17 07:29 PM

If not what?

No they do not say system files but they will be somewhere in the /System folder at the root of your drive, or they will have something in the file name like "com.apple…..", they may be invisible files, etc. My motto has always been "If in doubt — don't delete it".
And if I choose to leave them because I don't want to screw anything up, do they take up much room? I only have a 125 gb SSD. After 5 years with my other MBP I still hadn't even used 50 gb of HD memory out of 500 gb.

There is no way of determing how much room a file takes up unless you actually examine the file itself. However even with your smaller HD it would not appear you are likely to run out of storage and if that ever seems to be a threat, you can start moving some of your data to iCloud.

Periodically, when I am bored and have extra time on my hands, I sometimes run CleanApp to check for
  • Relics — files that remained on the system after the relating application has been removed.
  • iOS backups and software
  • Log files
  • Empty folders — note that some empty folder might be used by related applications to temporarily store information.
  • Identical files
  • Old Files — files that have not been started or used since a certain time span

Then use that information to clean out the detritus based on how much time I have to devote to the task, how badly I need disk space, what the file(s) are, my personal assessment of the likelihood I will ever need it again. Generally it is not because I need the disk space, it is more like spring housecleaning.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45297 06/22/17 07:51 PM

[/I] My motto has always been "If in doubt — don't delete it".

I use CleanApp and, as I recall, they generate a list of files that can be deleted, but only some of them are checked off. I have found that, if I check off a file CleanApp has not selected, they then create "doubt" by strongly cautioning against deletion and they say why.

Last edited by ryck; 06/22/17 07:51 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #45299 06/22/17 07:59 PM
OP Offline

Oh boy, that is helpful for someone like me. Thank you!

Originally Posted By: ryck

[/I] My motto has always been "If in doubt — don't delete it".

I use CleanApp and, as I recall, they generate a list of files that can be deleted, but only some of them are checked off. I have found that, if I check off a file CleanApp has not selected, they then create "doubt" by strongly cautioning against deletion and they say why.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #45300 06/22/17 08:01 PM
OP Offline

I like to spring clean, too. I just don't always know what to discard. I will be looking at CleanApp. I have been trusting EasyFind to clean up properly, even the invisible files. I hope that is a safe thing to do.

If not what?

No they do not say system files but they will be somewhere in the /System folder at the root of your drive, or they will have something in the file name like "com.apple…..", they may be invisible files, etc. My motto has always been "If in doubt — don't delete it".

There is no way of determing how much room a file takes up unless you actually examine the file itself. However even with your smaller HD it would not appear you are likely to run out of storage and if that ever seems to be a threat, you can start moving some of your data to iCloud.

Periodically, when I am bored and have extra time on my hands, I sometimes run CleanApp to check for
  • Relics — files that remained on the system after the relating application has been removed.
  • iOS backups and software
  • Log files
  • Empty folders — note that some empty folder might be used by related applications to temporarily store information.
  • Identical files
  • Old Files — files that have not been started or used since a certain time span

Then use that information to clean out the detritus based on how much time I have to devote to the task, how badly I need disk space, what the file(s) are, my personal assessment of the likelihood I will ever need it again. Generally it is not because I need the disk space, it is more like spring housecleaning.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45303 06/22/17 08:41 PM

I like to spring clean, too. I just don't always know what to discard. I will be looking at CleanApp. I have been trusting EasyFind to clean up properly, even the invisible files. I hope that is a safe thing to do.

EasyFind is a great app, but it provides no guidance or protection to prevent inadvertent deletion of the wrong file(s) and it is lacking in the ability to identify app related files that do not use the app name in the file name, so it can miss some stuff.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45307 06/22/17 08:54 PM
OP Offline

I am downloading CleanApp right now. Easy Find was more thorough then plain old AppCleaner though.

EasyFind is a great app, but it provides no guidance or protection to prevent inadvertent deletion of the wrong file(s) and it is lacking in the ability to identify app related files that do not use the app name in the file name, so it can miss some stuff.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #45339 06/24/17 06:18 AM

Have you ever/How often have you followed up an EasyFind app deletion with a CleanApp search and had CA find something that EF didn't?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45349 06/24/17 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Have you ever/How often have you followed up an EasyFind app deletion with a CleanApp search and had CA find something that EF didn't?

This was not a direct head to head test, but I recall I once deleted an app with EasyFind Help and later a CA "relics" search turned up a file related to the deleted app (the file name was a string of probably 60 random appearing numeric digits and a few scattered alpha characters. Heaven only knows what its content and IIRC the extension was .EXEC). How CA identified the associated application I have no idea but it did. (Now that I think about it, I wonder of the file name was a hexadecimal? :scratching my head: )

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard