for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Migration Assistant
#45233 06/17/17 06:04 PM
OP Offline

I'm not a new user but I've never done this before.

I've decided to transfer just certain files to my new MBP from my old one. I tried to use Migration Assistant but found out I need to be connected either to a network (which sounds complicated when I read about it), a firewire or usb cable or an ethernet cable for which I have no port on my new MBP nor an adapter.

If setting up a network isn't as complicated as I thought, I would like instructions. Otherwise, I guess I need to buy a firewire adapter for the HDMI cable I have which doesn't fit my computer for some reason. I do have an adapter for one end but not the other. I use it on my TV. I hope it will work with an adapter on both ends. I have a C&E 219312 HDMI Cable Category 2 (Full 1080P Capable). I assumed all HDMI ends were the same like USB but I guess not.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Migration Assistant
plantsower #45235 06/17/17 07:19 PM

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but I migrated from my old Mac Pro to my present iMac using a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter For some reason, I couldn't get ethernet to work (and the same happened a few years ago when I tried it with a friend's computers).

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #45236 06/17/17 08:12 PM
OP Offline

I guess I'll have to look into that, thanks.

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I don't know if this applies to your situation, but I migrated from my old Mac Pro to my present iMac using a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter For some reason, I couldn't get ethernet to work (and the same happened a few years ago when I tried it with a friend's computers).

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45238 06/17/17 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I've decided to transfer just certain files to my new MBP from my old one. I tried to use Migration Assistant but found out I need to be connected either to a network (which sounds complicated when I read about it), a firewire or usb cable or an ethernet cable for which I have no port on my new MBP nor an adapter.

Before we go any further, let's be certain that you understand how Migration Assistant works.

You can't migrate "just certain files", rather you can only migrate the bulk items offered in MA's menu. You cannot drill down into any of those items to migrate them in part. (This screenshot will give you an idea of what I mean.)

All considered, I suspect that your best option is to simply use drag & drop to move stuff from your external clone to your new MBP.

If you still want to use MA, you can migrate from your external clone to your new MBP via USB.

If you must migrate directly from your old MBP, that'll be a-whole-nother matter, beginning with "Can you even access its contents?"

Hope this clarifies things.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45239 06/18/17 12:51 AM
OP Offline

OK, this is weird. I answered this and now can't find it.

I ended up using Airdrop and it was a very simple process. Just turned it on on both Macs, and used drag and drop. Just took a few minutes.

Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505

Before we go any further, let's be certain that you understand how Migration Assistant works.

You can't migrate "just certain files", rather you can only migrate the bulk items offered in MA's menu. You cannot drill down into any of those items to migrate them in part. (This screenshot will give you an idea of what I mean.)

All considered, I suspect that your best option is to simply use drag & drop to move stuff from your external clone to your new MBP.

If you still want to use MA, you can migrate from your external clone to your new MBP via USB.

If you must migrate directly from your old MBP, that'll be a-whole-nother matter, beginning with "Can you even access its contents?"

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45240 06/18/17 12:59 AM

I ended up using Airdrop and it was a very simple process. Just turned it on on both Macs, and used drag and drop. Just took a few minutes.

How'd you do it if you can't boot your old MBP, or did you do it while booted into your clone?

And did you do it with files that were on the clone or on the MBP?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #45241 06/18/17 02:36 AM
OP Offline

Your screen shot doesn't work for me.

OK, this is weird. I answered this and now can't find it.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #45242 06/18/17 03:29 AM
OP Offline

Sorry, Artie, for some reason I am not getting emails when someone answers my posts.

Yes, my old Mac was booted from ex. drive. I did it with the files that were on the clone because I have yet to transfer Mavericks from the clone onto the hard drive. I will probably be ready for that in a few days or a couple of weeks. Then I will contact you via FTM so you can walk me through it.

How'd you do it if you can't boot your old MBP, or did you do it while booted into your clone?

And did you do it with files that were on the clone or on the MBP?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45243 06/18/17 06:46 AM

It's apparently moot, but here it is again.

artie505 #45246 06/18/17 05:58 PM
OP Offline

Yes, it's a moot point but since you took the time to send the screenshot, I felt I should take the time to look at it. Thanks.

It's apparently moot, but here it is again.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45248 06/18/17 08:02 PM

Yes, it's a moot point but since you took the time to send the screenshot, I felt I should take the time to look at it. Thanks.

So, were you able to access it the second time I posted?

artie505 #45250 06/18/17 08:23 PM
OP Offline

Sorry, yes. It worked perfectly.

So, were you able to access it the second time I posted?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard