Originally Posted By: artie505
Some perspective on those bad reviews: V1 once posted that DW was about to erase the HDD he was working on when he noticed it in the old/new comparison.

Never skip the step!

100% agree. Although I used it a lot compared to most here, I did see problems maybe 1-2% of the time. Rare, but that's a lot of data to tank. Preview. Compare. Oh look, used space is going from 28GB to 3GB used. uh.... NO!

Here's the other less-known collars to that... You'll get this after clicking Rebuild if the volume was very nearly full:

"DiskWarrior has determined there is insufficient free disk space to perform a failsafe replacement. Continue?"

No No No No No No aaaand NO.

Cancel. Re-select and rebuild. Yes this usually takes another Bloody Ages since repair runs on very full drives always go slowly, but do it anyway. Preview. Clone from the preview to another drive or a backup folder or whatever. Just the Users folder if you must.

NOW click rebuild, and continue.

About 10% of the time, you will be very, VERY grateful you have that backup, as it will irreparably trash the drive and you will have to reformat it. Yes, been there, done that, didn't even get a postcard. Not fun.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department