FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MoCA Network Adapters
#35701 08/23/15 04:13 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Without going into reasons for considering, I'll focus my question specifically about the effectiveness and reliability of using Actiontec's ECB2500c MoCA Network Adapters (plug and play), which can turn a house's internal, coax cabling into a network connection in lieu of stringing RJ45 cables throughout. (My condo is about 17 years old, so the coax cabling is not ancient.)

Here's a link to Actiontec: EBC2500c Adapter

According to user questions and replies, at Amazon, the initial setup is at the location of the service provider modem.
- Wall coax to Actiontec coax IN (using coax cable)
- Actiontec coax OUT to provider modem IN (using coax cable)
- provider modem Network port to AE WAN port (using RJ45 cable)

I have an Apple TV RJ45 connected to my Airport Extreme 4th Generation, which is connected to my Comcast Arris Touchstone TM822 VOIP modem.

One user's comment advised success in using Comcast's VOIP modem (although the model was not mentioned) connected to the Actiontec.

At other home, coax wall outlets, one connects an Actiontec via coax cable and then, connect to a computer using RJ45. (The Actiontec's TV OUT connector can be connected to a provider's cable modem if a TV is in that room.)

According to a user and when a switch is connected to one of the secondary ECB2500c adapters, the switch will is capable of providing DHCP addressing to the respective ports on the switch which in turn allows connection of multiple devices on that switch.

My principal concern is that these adapters create a network, over the coax cable wiring, which is using an Ethernet Interface Protocol of IEEE 802.3x with 10/100 Fast Ethernet. This MoCA network would have (according to Actiontec specs) max physical data rate of up to 270 Mbps.

- So, it's not 10/100/1000 as I currently have for devices RJ45-connected (with Cat6 cables) to my AE.

With the 10/100 Fast Ethernet, would I be losing speed effectiveness / efficiency in using this prospective network?

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
Re: MoCA Network Adapters
pbGuy #35714 08/24/15 03:16 PM

Very interesting product and I would be interested to hear your experiences should you decide to go this route. But to address your questions, I would ask another question: what is the reality of the speed on your devices?

With a data rate of 270 Mbps max, will any of your connections or devices suffer? Maybe you are fortunate enough to obtain speeds in excess of this, so having the "1000" component could make a difference, but I would not think that would be the case. But then (as I have lamented elsewhere in these forums) I am fortunate to have just recently doubled my download speed to 6 (six!) Mbps, so what do I know? tongue

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #35727 08/24/15 06:04 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Devices periodically connecting to my internet: MBP i7 17, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Roku 2. My Comcast connection reliably provides 50+ Mbps down / 5+ Mbps up. [My service from Comcast includes a VoIP phone, which I really don't use, but it provisions my Comcast internet with speeds mentioned and unlimited, monthly data download.]

Where I have LAN connected devices, I solely use Cat6 cables.

The principal devices, I'm concerned about, are my Apple TV and Roku 2. The Apple TV is LAN connected to my AE. The Roku is currently connecting by 5GHz WiFi (I'd like to LAN connect the Roku & will upgrade the device if this Actiontec setup appears it can be effective).

I'm a "cord cutter" where my TV viewing is mostly streaming, 720p movies from either my Apple TV or Roku.

My MBP, which is used mainly for internet and email, is mostly used on the 2d floor of my condo and connects by 5GHz WiFi. The MBP gets a strong 5GHz WiFi connection - generally at the top end of my provisioning from Comcast - and so, I have no speed complaint about my MBP's WiFi connectivity. I'm not streaming movies when using my MBP. (I will LAN connect my MBP, if these Actiontec adapters are implemented.)

My iPad Air 2 (sometimes, my iPhone 6) is used as a casual, 5GHz WiFi web device when in my living room while I'm also streaming a movie. This iOS web activity is generally short lived as my focus is on watching a movie. ...To date and with my current setup, I have absolutely no streaming issues when viewing a movie, regardless of whether its from my Apple TV (by LAN) or my Roku (by WiFi), and simultaneously generating web activity on an iOS device.

So, while I have 5 devices that can (by LAN or WiFi) tap my internet connection, there's never heavy competing activity by my MBP, iPhone, or iPad when either my Apple TV or Roku is streaming.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #35737 08/24/15 11:34 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: pbGuy

This configuration is incorrect.
- Wall coax to Actiontec coax IN (using coax cable)
- Actiontec coax OUT to provider modem IN (using coax cable)
- provider modem Network port to AE WAN port (using RJ45 cable)

I've now spoken with Actiontec Pre-Sales, and they've corrected me regarding the configuration (for the Actiontec) connecting to the Cable Modem where there's a separate Router (as with my AE).

The correction involves using a 2-way Splitter (2 GHz Splitter like this one) when one's Modem is NOT a modem-router combo.

Using a 2-way Splitter, here's the correct configuration at the Actiontec creating the MoCA:

- Splitter IN port connects to Wall Coax outlet by coax
- 1 x Splitter OUT connects by coax to Modem IN and then, Modem's network port connects by RJ45 to Router's (my AE) WAN port
- 1 x Splitter OUT connects by coax to Actiontec IN port and then, Actiontec's network port connects by RJ45 to one of the Router's (my AE) LAN ports

This connection creates the MoCA loop, thus putting the network on the house's coax cabling throughout & accessible from other Coax Wall Outlets.

Then, at these other, Coax Wall Outlets, an Actiontec's IN port connects to the Coax Wall Outlet. And, from the Actiontec's Network port, one can connect by RJ45 a network IP device or a switch if multiple network IP devices are to be connected.

pbGuy #35738 08/25/15 12:01 AM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Back to my original question:

Since this MoCA creates a 10/100 Fast Ethernet network, will such a network support my Apple TV & Roku for movie streaming (both then connected by ethernet cables) that there shouldn't be noticeable degradation from my current, streaming experience?

pbGuy #35754 08/25/15 02:43 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I've again have spoken with Actiontec, and they do have a MoCA Network Adapter that creates a MoCA loop with 10/100/1000 Base T 802.3ab Ethernet LAN.

Here's this newer adapter: MoCA 2.0 ECB6000 ...Amazon has this adapter for about $107 each or a twin pack at $165. One Splitter will be required, unless a TV connection at another Coax Outlet is desired where a Splitter will be also used. (ECB6000 does not have a TV OUT coax port.)

Comcast has confirmed that as I'm in a condo (a multi-family building), they would have already installed a POE filter at the point of cable entry to prevent outside, signal leakage. So, I should have no worries on this score.

Once I've installed, I'll update about effectiveness.

pbGuy #35812 08/29/15 06:35 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

...Once I've installed, I'll update...

I've now installed 2 x Actiontec ECB6000 MoCA Adapters (plus a RCA 2-way 3GHz Bi-Di Splitter at respective, coax wall outlets) and created my MoCA Network over my condo's coax cabling. ...Wow! laugh ...Wish I'd found my way to MoCA sooner.

The install was truly plug and play. (I did not Power-unplug either my Comcast VoIP modem or my Airport Extreme when making the Splitter connections at this coax wall outlet. I also did not do anything pre-install with my Apple TV or Roku 2.) At the primary MoCA adapter, which creates the MoCA loop, and once I'd reconnected my VoIP modem to one of the Splitter's OUT, the Comcast modem immediately reacquired the internet connection (as well as the VoIP dial tone).

Ookla-site network speed testing (pre-install WiFI, pre-install LAN-MoCA, and post-install LAN-MoCA tests) verified I'm getting exactly what I'd hoped to gain... strong & steady, LAN data stream (even though my 5GHz WiFi has always streamed at the top end of my Comcast provisioning).

My 2 x iOS devices continue achieving the same high, WiFi 5GHz speeds, based upon post-install Ookla mobile testing.

Checking my MBP's Network Prefs, after installing the primary MoCA adapter and my MBP still ethernet connected to my AE, I saw no changes to my existing, Network settings.

After the 2d MoCA adapter was installed, I was fully up on my MoCA coaxial network. And with my MBP LAN connected to the secondary, coax wall outlet on my condo's 2d floor, Ookla speed test verified a strong & steady data transmission.

Checking my AE settings, I found the single change being AE's Wireless Clients only included my MBP when I toggle my MBP's WiFi to ON.

My internet connection, at the 2d MoCA adapter, is sharing the Spitter with my TV standard-definition modem, which is coax connected to the Splitter at it's 2d OUT. Same good speed results when web surfing while TV is On. smile ...This MoCA is in my home office, and I have the TV on CNBC during weekday mornings. As result, this connection will be getting a good, daily workout.

My Apple TV, which is LAN connected to my AE, and my Roku 2, which is WiFi connected to my 5GHz Network, continue streaming smoothly as they were pre-MoCA. cool

So, for an initial expenditure (2 x ECB6000 + 2 x 3-5GHz 2-way Splitters) of $185, I am very pleased with my condo's extended-LAN Network. Now, time will tell whether these's Actiontec adapters provide long term, reliable service. But so far, I am very pleased with this setup.

pbGuy #37413 11/24/15 04:03 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

As an update for those who might be considering initiating a MoCA network, Actiontec has a new adapter, ECB6200, that's rated for 1Gbps data speeds.

The ECB6200 is also a bonded adapter, meaning it has 2 coax connection points - one for Coax IN and one for HD TV out. Of course, the adapter also has an RJ45 ethernet port for the MoCA network to a computer or switch. This model eliminates the need for a Splitter, as I'm using in my ECB6000 configuration.

As of this writing, the ECB6200 can only be purchased through Actiontec. They have a Twin pack bundle for $170. ...If I were purchasing today, I would opt for the ECB6200 although I continue to find the ECB6000 functioning well.

Actiontec ECB6200 MoCA 2.0 Adapter

pbGuy #44019 03/17/17 02:08 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I've now had a pair of Actiontec's ECB6200 MoCA Gigabit adapters in continuous use over a year.

[My internet service level now provides 120Mbps download speed, which I do get at my MBP, via my Airport Extreme & a Netgear Gigabit Switch connected to the primary Actiontec ECB6200, connected to my internet modem on my home's 1st floor. ...If I could only get my internet service speed increased, without having to pay an arm & leg, I'd be happy as a drunken sailor. grin ]

The ECB6200 adapter in my 2d floor, home office is ethernet connected also to a Netgear GS205 Gigabit Switch, which connects my MBP and HP printer to my LAN. The connection and reliability has been rock solid. [This ECB6200 adapter simultaneously supports an Xfinity HDMI HDTV stream in my office.]

A tried and true solution for extending one's LAN (over Cable coax) when stringing ethernet cables throughout a home, isn't an option. smile

pbGuy #45104 06/11/17 03:18 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

At the risk of delving too deep in the MoCA weeds, here's an update related to my Comcast HD TV package that's now running over my Actiontec ECB6200 MoCA network.

Before this writing, I only had 1 HD TV cable box, which was located in my 2d floor office and had a MoCA POE filter inserted between coax cable (from the ECB6200) and coax cable going to the Comcast X1 HD TV box.

Just this week past (6/8/17), I changed my TV package so I now have 2 HD TV cable boxes (2d is for an HD TV in my kitchen that is not on my Actiontec MoCA). ...This new bundle also increased my data download from 100 Mbps to 200+ Mbps. laugh (The bundle discount - for 2 years - causes my monthly bill to be lower. laugh cool )

Ok, so here's what I learned, as result of the change in Comcast's HD smart boxes. ...Comcast's HD smart boxes create their own MoCA, which given the HD smart boxes used, enables various features over the Comcast MoCA.

With the HD TV smart boxes in place, everything was working, except I could only get the pair of HD smart boxes (1 smart, HD TV box was acting as a Hub and the second smart, HD box was syncing with the Hub) activated without the MoCA POE filter installed. But, the data download speed dropped off by 25%. frown

As my priority regarding my condo's coax cable system, is to enable a MoCA network for an ethernet LAN capability, I wanted to gain back the 25% of data download speed.

This was accomplished by changing the Comcast HD hardware for the 2 HD TV locations. My Kitchen TV, again which is not on my Actiontec MoCA, has the smart, X1 HD TV box with the MoCA POE filter interconnected, in the coax cabling from the wall outlet, and blocks the TV box's MoCA stream from going out over the coax system. My Office TV now has a basic, HD TV box (doesn't need a POE filter) connected to my ECB6200 MoCA. ...As result, I still have HD TV in both locations, but my data download speed (over my Actiontec MoCA network) has returned to 200+ Mbps. cool

So while my Actiontec MoCA continues working solidly, I found there's a limitation to having such a network if one wants a full blown, HD TV MoCA for one's home TV locations. ...The two MoCA networks do not play nice together over the coax cable system. tongue ...Depending on one's network priorities (in my case, it was having my coax cable system carry my LAN), one must decide which MoCA is preferred.

pbGuy #45118 06/12/17 03:58 PM

So while my Actiontec MoCA continues working solidly, I found there's a limitation to having such a network if one wants a full blown, HD TV MoCA for one's home TV locations. ...The two MoCA networks do not play nice together over the coax cable system. tongue ...Depending on one's network priorities (in my case, it was having my coax cable system carry my LAN), one must decide which MoCA is preferred.

Nice summary and conclusion. I recently went to a Comcast plan similar to yours (I jumped from 6 Mbps to 200+ for less than the original cost per month [what a racket and a game they play]), so it is helpful to know what the tradeoffs might be. Thanks. smile

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard