FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Phone glitch when receiving calls and using Goo
#45057 06/09/17 05:01 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I have this issue, someone calls, while driving and then I'm shut out of iphone, and I'm on Google Maps.

I can't get back in often, I double click; can't even get the 4 digit option. All I get is Siri, and, Apple Pay comes up. Lost.

Sometimes I get in after 10 minutes of clicking.

Re: Phone glitch when receiving calls and using Goo
kevs #45062 06/09/17 08:04 PM

Yep, push hard on the Home button and Siri will start; hover lightly on the Home button and your fingerprint will get read and could trigger Apple Pay.

I'm not sure what you mean "shut out" of iPhone. Does the phone shut off, the screen go black? But you are still on Google Maps?? Try restarting the iPhone (hold the side or top button—depends on your model—until the Apple logo appears). If you can't restart this way hold down the Home button AND side/top until the phone restarts.

What phone model and operating system (iOS) are you using?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #45064 06/09/17 08:32 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for sympathy Ira! Most current IOS on iphone 6.

Yeah, phone goes black, but bar at top showing that google maps is still working.....

And I'm on the freeway, so I can't do the two button restart.

But why am I having to restart? Everything was going fine, and then the phone rang...

Ira L #45065 06/09/17 08:59 PM

Speaking like a true iOS non-aficionado here, Ira, can't Siri get Kevs back to his phone?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45067 06/09/17 09:48 PM

Normally terminating the telephone connection (hanging up) would automatically return focus to the previous foreground app without any action necessary. At least it works that way with Maps and Co-Pilot so I assume it would work the same way with Google Maps. However I have occasionally gotten myself into an indeterminate state that is hard to escape — especially when distracted by traffic.

Usually a deep breath to calm my thinking — followed by a single click of the home button — a pause to allow one app or another to come to the foreground — then a double tap of the home button to bring up the open app tiles so I can select the one I want will work. But — it is one thing to do that sitting at my desk or in a parked car, and an enormously different and more dangerous thing on Interstate 20 traveling 75 mph and playing bumper tag with dozens of 18 wheelers desperate to get to the other side of the metroplex before the rush hour traffic build up.

Originally Posted By: artie505
can't Siri get Kevs back to his phone?

Maybe in iOS 11 when it ships, but not in iOS 10.3. Besides that Siri has trouble interpreting my terrified screams when I am in heavy traffic and need to now where to turn NOW.

If the problem recurs, I would while sitting quietly at my desk and not in the car and in traffic, start by rebooting or resetting the iPhone. If that didn't put a stop to it I would delete and reinstall Google Maps. (I have had to do that with at least one ill-behaved app.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #45070 06/09/17 10:38 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, was only 65...!

But what would I ask Siri, down the road?

kevs #45077 06/10/17 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
But what would I ask Siri, down the road?

Remind me after the iOS 11 Public Beta is released and I will let you know.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard