Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Refurbished or New
plantsower #45015 06/08/17 06:28 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Geez, someone start a fire under me!!

FIRE!!!

As I type, there are both 128 GB and 256 GB machines listed in the Refurbished Store, but the 256 GB model is $170 more than the one with 128 GB, not just $100.

Hmmm... I thought the SSD upgrade cost only $100 before the price drop.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #45017 06/08/17 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
I noticed some of the new mac notebooks have less ghz than the old ones.

I imagine that's because they've got newer, more efficient processors, but someone who's either got expertise or reads a lot will have to provide a definitive answer.

To quote the old country store philosopher, "Well now I wouldn't say that."

Which is why I backed away from it in my next post.

...maybe it's about heat control, i.e. some machines like MacBooks and MacBook Airs are so thin that faster processors would generate more heat than they could handle.

If newer Macs of the same model have "slower" processors than their predecessors, that could be efficiency...maybe.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45060 06/09/17 05:53 PM
OP Offline

I signed up at Refurbme.com. You give them your filters like cost, memory needs, etc., and where you want to buy it, and they email you when it becomes available. That will save me some checking though I will check from time to time anyway at the Apple refurbished store.

Also, I am talking about partial quotes. I know how to hit "quote" and then type my stuff responding to it just not how to separate out parts of what I want to respond to like you do.

Don't you ever go to bed?

I'm going to use "code" tags to show you what I do, because they negate the "quote" tabs, but you should never use them.

Code:
[quote]Also, I am talking about partial quotes. I know how to hit "quote" and then type my stuff responding to it just not how to separate out parts of what I want to respond to like you do.[/quote] 
[quote]Don't you ever go to bed?[/quote]

I'll now delete the "code" tags...

Quote:
Also, I am talking about partial quotes. I know how to hit "quote" and then type my stuff responding to it just not how to separate out parts of what I want to respond to like you do.

Quote:

And to nest a quote I do like so...

Code:
[quote][quote]Nested quote.[/quote]Also, I am talking about partial quotes. I know how to hit "quote" and then type my stuff responding to it just not how to separate out parts of what I want to respond to like you do.[/quote][/quote]

[quote]Don't you ever go to bed?[/quote]

which resolves like so...

Quote:
Quote:
Nested quote.

Quote:

Hitting "Preview Post" frequently as you type shows you if you've screwed up and enables you to see where, but the learning curve is a frustrating one.

I sleep in shifts...when my body allows me to; back to bed now.

(Since the 2015's are newly discontinued you've got some time to play the waiting game, but the supply will eventually dry up, so you've got to keep on top of it and check the Refurbished Store neurotically.)

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45075 06/10/17 07:37 AM

I signed up at Refurbme.com. You give them your filters like cost, memory needs, etc., and where you want to buy it, and they email you when it becomes available. That will save me some checking though I will check from time to time anyway at the Apple refurbished store.

Out of curiosity, I visited refurb.me, and it was immediately evident that their listing of 13" MBPs available from the Apple Refurb Store is seriously incomplete, and more curious, any machine for which both sites show "Save $xxx", their posted saving is exactly $100 more than Apple's...obviously not an especially reliable source of info.

By the way, I'm not sure what you're thinking at this point, but I continue to strongly advise that you not buy from LA; the extra $70 is no big deal, because the guy's been helpful, but foregoing 5 months or so of AppleCare without its being a necessity is, in my opinion, not a particularly wise thing to do.

Last edited by artie505; 06/10/17 08:46 AM. Reason: More

artie505 #45078 06/10/17 01:36 PM

By the way, I'm not sure what you're thinking at this point, but I continue to strongly advise that you not buy from LA; the extra $70 is no big deal, because the guy's been helpful, but foregoing 5 months or so of AppleCare without its being a necessity is, in my opinion, not a particularly wise thing to do.

I would never advise anyone NOT to buy from LA because I prefer to put a positive spin on things. If you are going to buy a refurbished/used MacBook I would strongly urge you to buy from Small Dog Electronics, Apple, or any vendor that sells factory rebuilt units that come with the same warranty as a new MacBook Pro.

Artie and I have been known to have different opinions but on this we are of like mind. I once had an iPad that could only be called a lemon and after three complete failures requiring parts replacement to fix Apple not only replaced the iMac entirely, they replaced it with a newer model and because mine had been top of the line when I bought it, they replaced it not with a comparable iMac but with the top of the newer model line that was significantly more powerful. IMHO the extra warranty coverage is well worth a lot more than $70. By-the-way I would buy AppleCare as well.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #45081 06/10/17 03:55 PM
OP Offline

That may be, but when I put in my filters, the one I want for $929.00 at Apple did show up. I can't explain about the rest. Now I've got that one filtered for a price drop.

Out of curiosity, I visited refurb.me, and it was immediately evident that their listing of 13" MBPs available from the Apple Refurb Store is seriously incomplete, and more curious, any machine for which both sites show "Save $xxx", their posted saving is exactly $100 more than Apple's...obviously not an especially reliable source of info.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #45082 06/10/17 04:02 PM
OP Offline

Yes, I am already convinced that refurbished is the way to go. I know you meant iMac all the way through but you started out talking about an iPad (lemon) so I was a little confused for a second there. smile

I always get the warranty. The cheapest I could find was at LA Computer for either $185 or $189, can't remember. If you know of a cheaper one for a Macbook Pro I am listening.

I've heard great replacement stories and I've also heard (read) horror stories where they got no satisfaction at all with an obvious lemon. Maybe it just matters which store you go to or which rep you talk to on the phone. I have learned that when I don't get what I want from a company to just call back until I can find someone who will cooperate and be more helpful.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

I would never advise anyone NOT to buy from LA because I prefer to put a positive spin on things. If you are going to buy a refurbished/used MacBook I would strongly urge you to buy from Small Dog Electronics, Apple, or any vendor that sells factory rebuilt units that come with the same warranty as a new MacBook Pro.

Artie and I have been known to have different opinions but on this we are of like mind. I once had an iPad that could only be called a lemon and after three complete failures requiring parts replacement to fix Apple not only replaced the iMac entirely, they replaced it with a newer model and because mine had been top of the line when I bought it, they replaced it not with a comparable iMac but with the top of the newer model line that was significantly more powerful. IMHO the extra warranty coverage is well worth a lot more than $70. By-the-way I would buy AppleCare as well.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45085 06/10/17 04:28 PM

That may be, but when I put in my filters, the one I want for $929.00 at Apple did show up. I can't explain about the rest. Now I've got that one filtered for a price drop.

Yeah, I saw the $929 model, but I pointed out that some of the others are missing because it suggests the possibility that the $929 may be missing at some point. For what it's worth, though, it's been there every time I've looked. (It seems like the ones most likely to be missing are those for which Apple doesn't enumerate the price break.)

If you're waiting for the price to come down from $929, I think you're wasting your time; I followed your current MBP for a few months from when it became the $929 model to its virtual disappearance, and its price never varied from $929.

(Wow! LA's AppleCare prices are really great...significantly less than the going price for both the 13 and 15" MBPs. Thanks for the tip. smile )

artie505 #45086 06/10/17 04:33 PM
OP Offline

Artie: I emailed the guy at LA Computer about his Applecare products because I don't know if he sells them separately or not. I'll let you know. Otherwise I guess I will have to go back to B&H Photo in New York. The prices there used to be better but now they are over $200 for Macbook Pros.

Yeah, I saw the $929 model, but I pointed out that some of the others are missing because it suggests the possibility that the $929 may be missing at some point. For what it's worth, though, it's been there every time I've looked. (It seems like the ones most likely to be missing are those for which Apple doesn't enumerate the price break.)

If you're waiting for the price to come down from $929, I think you're wasting time; I followed your current MBP for a few months from when it became the $929 model to its virtual disappearance, and its price never varied from $929.

(Wow! LA's AppleCare prices are really great...significantly less than the going price for both the 13 and 15" MBPs. Thanks for the tip. smile )

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45087 06/10/17 04:44 PM

Artie: I emailed the guy at LA Computer about his Applecare products because I don't know if he sells them separately or not. I'll let you know. Otherwise I guess I will have to go back to B&H Photo in New York. The prices there used to be better but now they are over $200 for Macbook Pros.

Thanks for the thought, Rita, but I've got no need for AppleCare at the moment, and I hope things stay that way for a bunch of years. (I checked LA's website, and it looks like they sell AppleCare to all comers.)

B&H earned itself a really bad name for abusing their black and Latino workers who are now unionized. Amazon's prices were the same as theirs the last few times I looked, and that's where I bought. (But, man, I hate the way Amazon strings you out on the shipping to get you to either go Prime or pay for an upgrade. frown )

artie505 #45088 06/10/17 04:48 PM
OP Offline

I hate that about Amazon, too. But, I have a friend with Prime and when I need something from Prime, she buys it and I reimburse her via Paypal. That works for both of us.

Thanks for the thought, Rita, but I've got no need for AppleCare at the moment, and I hope things stay that way for a bunch of years. (I checked LA's website, and it looks like they sell AppleCare to all comers.)

B&H earned itself a really bad name for abusing their black and Latino workers who are now unionized. Amazon's prices were the same as theirs the last few times I looked, and that's where I bought. (But, man, I hate the way Amazon strings you out on the shipping to get you to either go Prime or pay for an upgrade. frown )

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard