Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Connecting External Hard Drive
joemikeb #44856 06/03/17 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
Funny that early on you expressed disappointment at having to replace the "only 5 year[s] old" MBP, and now you seem to be hell-bent to buy a new one. laugh

To me it is typical of the human condition. Thus my previous comment…
I think I am hearing you say you want a new computer and, if that is the case, then no amount of backing and filling, upgrading, or enhancing your current Macbook Pro is likely to ever satisfy you. At least it has never satisfied me in my 40+ years of experience in personal computing. (OMG — I wish I hadn't added all those years up, it makes me feel old 👴🏻)

I thank God for our differences.

I agree that it's not unexpected behavior, but I'm not convinced that Rita would be buying a new MBP if her iBook hadn't crapped out on her.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #44858 06/03/17 10:32 AM

Omnibus response...

Thanks, but no thanks. Since the iBook seems to be bricked, you might pile some dirt on the keyboard and plant ivy. tongue

Keeping stuff together...

Originally Posted By: Rita
|I found out that the reason the Macbook Pro I am looking at is an open box and returned so soon is b/c the person who bought it wanted a touch bar instead so returned it to the shop for a different model.

Forever the sceptic, I don't buy that.

Had the original purchaser bought the 2016 model I could see the mind change and upgrade, but since se went for the $200 cheaper 2015 model in the first place, I'll scratch my head.

At any rate, the same MBP is available from the Apple Refurbished Store for $1,099 as I type.

And last, but not least, back to square one...

If these steps can be followed, they should get your MBP working with no need for your external drive:
  1. Boot from your external.
  2. Navigate to Disk Utility.
  3. If it appears in DU's sidebar, select your MBP's "Macintosh Hard Drive" (or whatever it's called). (Don't select the top line, i.e. the HDD, itself, but the one immediately below it.) (*)
  4. Click on the "Erase" tab.
  5. If you're offered options, select "Write all zeros".
  6. Let 'er rip, and be prepared to wait a while.
  7. Since you've got a bootable external, I assume that you've got a cloning app, so now clone your external back to your MBP.
  8. If Steve Jobs is smiling up on Olympus, the MBP should now be good to go on its own.
(*) Erasing only your OS X volume, not your entire HDD, will preserve your recovery partition.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44862 06/03/17 02:54 PM
OP Offline

Omnibus response...

Thanks, but no thanks. Since the iBook seems to be bricked, you might pile some dirt on the keyboard and plant ivy. tongue

Keeping stuff together...

Originally Posted By: Rita
|I found out that the reason the Macbook Pro I am looking at is an open box and returned so soon is b/c the person who bought it wanted a touch bar instead so returned it to the shop for a different model.

Forever the sceptic, I don't buy that. frown

Had the original purchaser bought the 2016 model I could see the mind change and upgrade, but since se went for the $200 cheaper 2015 model in the first place, I'll scratch my head. Is that because the Touch Bar wasn't available back then anyway?

At any rate, the same MBP is available from the Apple Refurbished Store for $1,099 as I type.Yeah, but the refurbished one is not eligible for AppleCare which I like. Also, the one I was looking at is eligible. So should something major go wrong, I can get it fixed or replaced for free, depending on his bad it might be.

And last, but not least, back to square one...

If these steps can be followed, they should get your MBP working with no need for your external drive:
  1. Boot from your external.
  2. Navigate to Disk Utility.
  3. If it appears in DU's sidebar, select your MBP's "Macintosh Hard Drive" (or whatever it's called). (Don't select the top line, i.e. the HDD, itself, but the one immediately below it.) (*)
  4. Click on the "Erase" tab.
  5. If you're offered options, select "Write all zeros".
  6. Let 'er rip, and be prepared to wait a while.
  7. Since you've got a bootable external, I assume that you've got a cloning app, so now clone your external back to your MBP.
  8. I've got SuperDuper if that's what you mean but I don't know how to get it back onto my MBP just back onto the external drive. I'm willing to try since I can't get to my internal drive anyway. If Steve Jobs is smiling up on Olympus, the MBP should now be good to go on its own.
(*) Erasing only your OS X volume, not your entire HDD, will preserve your recovery partition.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44864 06/03/17 03:21 PM

Reformatting your posts is insanely difficult, so I'll respond thusly this time...

1. artie: Had the original purchaser bought the 2016 model I could see the mind change and upgrade, but since se went for the $200 cheaper 2015 model in the first place, I'll scratch my head.

Rita: Is that because the Touch Bar wasn't available back then anyway?

Yep! The Touch Bar was first introduced in October 2016, so an upgrade from the 2016 non-TB to the TB would make some sense, while an upgrade from the 2015 non-TB to the 2016 TB doesn't...in my eyes anyhow.

2. artie: At any rate, the same MBP is available from the Apple Refurbished Store for $1,099 as I type.

Rita: Yeah, but the refurbished one is not eligible for AppleCare which I like.

That's incorrect! All Apple refurbs come with their standard one year warrantee and are eligible for AppleCare...same as their new machines.

3. Rita: I've got SuperDuper if that's what you mean but I don't know how to get it back onto my MBP just back onto the external drive. I'm willing to try since I can't get to my internal drive anyway.

I've never seen the SuperDuper! GUI, but I imagine it's similar to that of Carbon Copy Cloner, which I'm running.

Presumably, you created a SD! task that clones from your internal HDD to your external, so look at what you did, and create a new, reversed task, i.e. treat your external as your source and your internal as your destination.

artie505 #44865 06/03/17 05:45 PM
OP Offline

Are you saying it's better for me not to answer between the lines? OK, I won't. I looked at the Apple Store refurbished models per your link and I found one right below the $1099 one for $1189 and it has twice the SSD space! They come with Sierra. I told the guy at the other store I was looking at what you said about the dates of the touch bar, etc. I let him know I would probably buy one from the apple store. I am thrilled about the more SSD even though I haven't even hit 50 gb on my old MBP. I am also looking forward to bossing Siri around. I am thinking you probably tried this to make the track pad more to your liking but I will quote it anyway from what I found online: Use your Force Touch trackpad more like a traditional trackpad, you can easily do that too. And if you later change your mind, you can turn it right back on.
1 Launch System Preferences. Click on Trackpad. Uncheck Force Click and haptic feedback to disable.

I'm still fearful of doing what you said with my SuperDuper because I'm not completely sure what to do. I usually plug it in and then the three partitions show up and I click Erase and then it erases the one partition I choose and then puts back all the info from the hard drive. I really don't know how to go backwards from that to go the other way.

Reformatting your posts is insanely difficult, so I'll respond thusly this time...

1. artie: Had the original purchaser bought the 2016 model I could see the mind change and upgrade, but since se went for the $200 cheaper 2015 model in the first place, I'll scratch my head.

Rita: Is that because the Touch Bar wasn't available back then anyway?

Yep! The Touch Bar was first introduced in October 2016, so an upgrade from the 2016 non-TB to the TB would make some sense, while an upgrade from the 2015 non-TB to the 2016 TB doesn't...in my eyes anyhow.

2. artie: At any rate, the same MBP is available from the Apple Refurbished Store for $1,099 as I type.

Rita: Yeah, but the refurbished one is not eligible for AppleCare which I like.

That's incorrect! All Apple refurbs come with their standard one year warrantee and are eligible for AppleCare...same as their new machines.

3. Rita: I've got SuperDuper if that's what you mean but I don't know how to get it back onto my MBP just back onto the external drive. I'm willing to try since I can't get to my internal drive anyway.

I've never seen the SuperDuper! GUI, but I imagine it's similar to that of Carbon Copy Cloner, which I'm running.

Presumably, you created a SD! task that clones from your internal HDD to your external, so look at what you did, and create a new, reversed task, i.e. treat your external as your source and your internal as your destination.

Last edited by plantsower; 06/03/17 09:01 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44866 06/03/17 06:48 PM

Replying between the lines is useful but may I suggest a different format that will make the replies easier to read and follow at the expense of a bit more work.
Code:
[quote=original text]This is the text of first question or item you are responding to [/quote]
Your response to the first item goes here
[quote=original text]This is the text of second question or item you are responding to [/quote]
Your response to the second item goes here
[quote=original text]This is the text of third question or item you are responding to [/quote]
Your response to the third item goes here.

That appears as...
Originally Posted By: original text
This is the text of first question or item you are responding to

This is the text of second question or item you are responding to

This is the text of third question or item you are responding to

NOTE: each item being responded to has both a beginning and ending "Quote" tag which places the item in its own unique quote box. Your responses are outside of the quote boxes so that clearly separates question/item and response.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44867 06/03/17 07:03 PM
OP Offline

I thought that is what I was doing. frown I think I will just answer all from the top like this from now on.

Replying between the lines is useful but may I suggest a different format that will make the replies easier to read and follow at the expense of a bit more work.
Code:
[quote=original text]This is the text of first question or item you are responding to [/quote]
[quote=original text]This is the text of second question or item you are responding to [/quote]
[quote=original text]This is the text of third question or item you are responding to [/quote]

That appears as...
This is the text of first question or item you are responding to

This is the text of second question or item you are responding to

This is the text of third question or item you are responding to

NOTE: each item being responded to has both a beginning and ending "Quote" tag which places the item in its own unique quote box. Your responses are outside of the quote boxes so that clearly separates question/item and response.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44871 06/03/17 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I looked at the Apple Store refurbished models per your link and I found one right below the $1099 one for $1189 and it has twice the SSD space! I am also looking forward to bossing Siri around.

The machines in the Refurbished Store come and go...sometimes pretty quickly, so when you see what you like, it's best to jump on it unless you don't mind waiting around for the next one, which may not come up for days...even weeks. (All else aside, the MBP from Apple will have about 5 months more warrantee time than the one from the other guy.)

You'll never catch me talking to Siri unless I'm locked away in solitary.

I am thinking you probably tried this to make the track pad more to your liking but I will quote it anyway from what I found online: Use your Force Touch trackpad more like a traditional trackpad, you can easily do that too. And if you later change your mind, you can turn it right back on. Launch System Preferences. Click on Trackpad. Uncheck Force Click and haptic feedback to disable.

Thanks for posting that, but that's the way I"ve been running.

I guess I"m just stuck with the Force Touch's quirks and eccentricities. frown

I'm still fearful of doing what you said with my SuperDuper because I'm not completely sure what to do. I usually plug it in and then the three partitions show up and I click Erase and then it erases the one partition I choose and then puts back all the info from the hard drive. I really don't know how to go backwards from that to go the other way.

You've pretty much answered you own question.

Launch SD!, click "Erase", choose "Macintosh Hard Drive", and SD! will erase it and clone over the data from "the hard drive", i.e. your external.

By the way, what are the three volumes that show up...Macintosh Hard Drive, Recovery Partition, and your external?

Note: I advise your doing the DU erase despite the fact that SD! does its own; the DU erase will leave you with a cleaner slate.

plantsower #44872 06/04/17 12:01 AM

I thought that is what I was doing. frown I think I will just answer all from the top like this from now on.

You're visually oriented, so take a look - by hitting "Quote" - at one of my responses to one of your "between the lines" responses , and study what I did. (It's a giant PIA. I hit "Preview Post" many, many times as I compose to see what I've actually accomplished, as opposed to what I"ve typed.)

artie505 #44874 06/04/17 01:02 AM
OP Offline

Yeah, I noticed that about the warranty.

So, Siri just hides and has you do everything for her. Ha-ha.

My three partitions are Mavericks, Mt. Lion and Misc.

So even after you changed the track pad back to "normal" you still don't like it? Yikes for me.

We still aren't exactly communicating about the external drive. Don't get exasperated. I am just gonna leave it alone and work off the external drive any time I need my old MBP since I can't get a grip on what you are saying exactly unless you want to say it again and number the steps!
I looked at the Apple Store refurbished models per your link and I found one right below the $1099 one for $1189 and it has twice the SSD space! I am also looking forward to bossing Siri around.

The machines in the Refurbished Store come and go...sometimes pretty quickly, so when you see what you like, it's best to jump on it unless you don't mind waiting around for the next one, which may not come up for days...even weeks. (All else aside, the MBP from Apple will have about 5 months more warrantee time than the one from the other guy.)

You'll never catch me talking to Siri unless I'm locked away in solitary.'

I am thinking you probably tried this to make the track pad more to your liking but I will quote it anyway from what I found online: Use your Force Touch trackpad more like a traditional trackpad, you can easily do that too. And if you later change your mind, you can turn it right back on. Launch System Preferences. Click on Trackpad. Uncheck Force Click and haptic feedback to disable.

Thanks for posting that, but that's the way I"ve been running.

I guess I"m just stuck with the Force Touch's quirks and eccentricities. frown

You've pretty much answered you own question.

Launch SD!, click "Erase", choose "Macintosh Hard Drive", and SD! will erase it and clone over the data from "the hard drive", i.e. your external.

By the way, what are the three volumes that show up...Macintosh Hard Drive, Recovery Partition, and your external?

Note: I advise your doing the DU erase despite the fact that SD! does its own; the DU erase will leave you with a cleaner slate.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44875 06/04/17 02:26 AM

My three partitions are Mavericks, Mt. Lion and Misc

We still aren't exactly communicating about the external drive. Don't get exasperated. I am just gonna leave it alone and work off the external drive any time I need my old MBP since I can't get a grip on what you are saying exactly unless you want to say it again and number the steps!.

So even after you changed the track pad back to "normal" you still don't like it? Yikes for me.

We're getting there!

I'm going to d/l SuperDuper! so I can see precisely how it works and number the steps, but in the meantime, I'm still not certain about your three volumes: which ones are on your internal, and which ones are on your external? (My guess is that Mt. Lion is on your external and Mavericks is on your internal, but where is Misc, which I assume is not bootable, i.e. doesn't have OS X on it...merely data?)

More: There's absolutely no reason why you should need to boot what appears to be a perfectly good machine from an external drive, and I'll be damned if I can't get you to that point!

I don't remember if the "Force Click..." box was checked or unchecked by default, so I'm not sure what "normal" is, but I tried working with it checked soon after I got my MBP, and I didn't like it at all, so I"ve been working with it unchecked for the past year, and I'm still not comfortable with my Force Touch trackpad.

Last edited by artie505; 06/04/17 02:50 AM. Reason: More

artie505 #44877 06/04/17 02:59 AM
OP Offline

OK. Thanks for doing the d/l, etc. I have Mavericks and Mt. Lion on my external drive. I have Mavericks on my internal drive. I can't remember if I partitioned my internal HD to include Mt. Lion but I think so, I just never use it. The miscellaneous partition is empty. I probably just named it that until I put something in it. It's been awhile.
I'm going to d/l SuperDuper! so I can see precisely how it works and number the steps, but in the meantime, I'm still not certain about your three volumes: which ones are on your internal, and which ones are on your external? (My guess is that Mt. Lion is on your external and Mavericks is on your internal, but where is Misc, which I assume is not bootable, i.e. doesn't have OS X on it...merely data?)

More: There's absolutely no reason why you should need to boot what appears to be a perfectly good machine from an external drive, and I'll be damned if I can't get you to that point!

I don't remember if the "Force Click..." box was checked or unchecked by default, so I'm not sure what "normal" is, but I tried working with it checked soon after I got my MBP, and I didn't like it at all, so I"ve been working with it unchecked for the past year, and I'm still not comfortable with my Force Touch trackpad. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44878 06/04/17 03:07 AM

OK. Thanks for doing the d/l, etc. I have Mavericks and Mt. Lion on my external drive. I have Mavericks on my internal drive. I can't remember if I partitioned my internal HD to include Mt. Lion but I think so, I just never use it. The miscellaneous partition is empty. I probably just named it that until I put something in it. It's been awhile.

OK, I'll assume that you still want Mavericks on your internal HDD.

If you partitioned your internal to include Mt. Lion the partition would appear in SuperDuper!'s GUI, and since it doesn't, you probably didn't.

I'll work on this later.

artie505 #44880 06/04/17 03:18 AM
OP Offline

I thought that if Mt. Lion was on SuperDuper that meant it was also on my hard drive since that's how I got it onto my external drive in the first place just like Mavericks. Yes, we can take this all up later. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to order the MBP on Apple.

OK, I'll assume that you still want Mavericks on your internal HDD.

If you partitioned your internal to include Mt. Lion the partition would appear in SuperDuper!'s GUI, and since it doesn't, you probably didn't.

I'll work on this later.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44882 06/04/17 09:51 AM

I thought that if Mt. Lion was on SuperDuper that meant it was also on my hard drive since that's how I got it onto my external drive in the first place just like Mavericks.

I'll guess that you first cloned Mt. Lion to a partition on your external, then you installed Mavericks, which overwrote Mt. Lion on your internal, i.e. your Mt. Lion volume morphed into your Mavericks volume, and finally, you cloned Mavericks to another partition on your external, which could explain, but isn't necessarily why you've got Mt. Lion and Mavericks on your external, but only Mavericks on your internal.

As I said earlier, every volume on every drive shows up in SD!'s pane, so if it ain't there, you ain't got it.

OK, here is a visual 1, 2, 3.

The shot of Disk Utility is to make sure you understand to erase not the top item, but the one immediately beneath it on your internal drive. (I guess it will be named "Mavericks", but it may be "Macintosh Hard Drive", "Untitled"...whatever.) Note that the "Erase" pane gives you the option to change the volume's name, so if you like, you can change it to something uniquely recognizable for the moment; you can always rename it later.

The top SD! shot shows your sources, and as you can see, each one's location is identified by its icon...Mac HD for internal volumes and USB for externals in my instance...maybe FireWire in yours.

Select "Mavericks" on your external as your source.

The middle shot shows your destinations, with their locations also identifiable by their icons.

Select "Edgar" (the volume you just renamed) on your internal as your destination.

The bottom shot shows something similar to what you should see (unless you external is FireWire, in which case you'll see a FW icon on the left).

Click on "Copy Now".

After SD! has done its thing, navigate to System Prefs > Startup Disk and select "Edgar".

Shut down your MBP.

Disconnect your external.

Start up your MBP.

If all went according to plan, your MBP should start up in Mavericks.

artie505 #44884 06/04/17 03:01 PM
OP Offline

I thought that if Mt. Lion was on SuperDuper that meant it was also on my hard drive since that's how I got it onto my external drive in the first place just like Mavericks.

I'll guess that you first cloned Mt. Lion to a partition on your external, then you installed Mavericks, which overwrote Mt. Lion on your internal, i.e. your Mt. Lion volume morphed into your Mavericks volume, and finally, you cloned Mavericks to another partition on your external, which could explain, but isn't necessarily why you've got Mt. Lion and Mavericks on your external, but only Mavericks on your internal.

OK, thanks. I can't see all those shots of the D/U very well but I will get something that I can see to do this. (I sure don't like how they've change it. It used to be simpler.) I will keep this info until I buy my new Mac because I could screw it up and end up with another brick!!

I guess I must have done all you said because you're right, I can't find Mt. Lion on my HD, just my external drive. So complicated. I thought I had Mt. Lion on my HD and cloned it to SD and partitioned my HD so I could go back to it if I didn't like Mavericks which is also on my HD. OH well. Plus, just now I went to spotlight and pulled up D/U. Three things showed up: Mavericks which worked, Machintosh HD which worked (meaning I could go to d/u when clicking on it) and Mountain Lion which, when I clicked on it brought up this error message: "You can't use this version of the app D/U with this version of OS. You have d/u app 13." What? Mavericks and Mt. Lion DO show up in S/D. I see them right on my desktop as I am typing.

As I said earlier, every volume on every drive shows up in SD!'s pane, so if it ain't there, you ain't got it.

OK, here is a visual 1, 2, 3.

The shot of Disk Utility is to make sure you understand to erase not the top item, but the one immediately beneath it on your internal drive. (I guess it will be named "Mavericks", but it may be "Macintosh Hard Drive", "Untitled"...whatever.) Note that the "Erase" pane gives you the option to change the volume's name, so if you like, you can change it to something uniquely recognizable for the moment; you can always rename it later.

The top SD! shot shows your sources, and as you can see, each one's location is identified by its icon...Mac HD for internal volumes and USB for externals in my instance...maybe FireWire in yours.

Select "Mavericks" on your external as your source.

The middle shot shows your destinations, with their locations also identifiable by their icons.

Select "Edgar" (the volume you just renamed) on your internal as your destination.

The bottom shot shows something similar to what you should see (unless you external is FireWire, in which case you'll see a FW icon on the left).

Click on "Copy Now".

After SD! has done its thing, navigate to System Prefs > Startup Disk and select "Edgar".

Shut down your MBP.

Disconnect your external.

Start up your MBP.

If all went according to plan, your MBP should start up in Mavericks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44901 06/05/17 07:30 AM

I don't know if you've been following, or are even aware of, Why does a laptop die?, but - I know you're past your iBook (...love your new sig, by the way grin ); this is in the interest of science. - extrapolating from tacit's post, I'm going to ask you to yank your iBook's battery and try to start up without replacing it. (Think positively: if it works, you'll have a backup for your backup until you get a new machine. cool )

Thanks.

artie505 #44904 06/05/17 03:06 PM
OP Offline

I read the thread. Interesting. So I yanked the battery but it still won't start up. I know the power cord is good because as I plug it in, sparks fly from the wall plug.

I don't know if you've been following, or are even aware of, Why does a laptop die?, but - I know you're past your iBook (...love your new sig, by the way grin ); this is in the interest of science. - extrapolating from tacit's post, I'm going to ask you to yank your iBook's battery and try to start up without replacing it. (Think positively: if it works, you'll have a backup for your backup until you get a new machine. cool )

Thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44908 06/05/17 05:17 PM

I read the thread. Interesting. So I yanked the battery but it still won't start up. I know the power cord is good because as I plug it in, sparks fly from the wall plug.

👺 You should NOT be getting sparks when you pug in a properly functioning power supply. Your issue may be a malfunctioning power supply which in turn is failing to charge the battery. It could also be a bad wall plug.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44912 06/05/17 06:38 PM
OP Offline

👺 You should NOT be getting sparks when you pug in a properly functioning power supply. Your issue may be a malfunctioning power supply which in turn is failing to charge the battery. It could also be a bad wall plug.

Even if I have it turned on? I can't tell whether the computer is on or off since nothing happens. But if it in the on position, couldn't that cause a spark?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #44914 06/05/17 08:38 PM
OP Offline

OK. I unplugged the wall plug part of the adapter and plugged it into the wall outlet. No sparks. Then I reattached it to the rest of the adapter and had sparks. So, I guess the problem is within the adapter box or further on down the line to toward the part that connects to the iBook. To me it's a brick anyway so I am not going to buy a new adapter just to find out. Thanks for giving me the idea to check it, though.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44936 06/06/17 12:05 PM

In case you're unaware of it, you should ALWAYS plug you power adaptor into the wall BEFORE you plug it into your Mac.

artie505 #44944 06/06/17 02:44 PM
OP Offline

Really? I've never heard that. But it is probably a bad adapter from my little test.

In case you're unaware of it, you should ALWAYS plug you power adaptor into the wall BEFORE you plug it into your Mac.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44946 06/06/17 04:18 PM

Really? I've never heard that. But it is probably a bad adapter from my little test.

For lack of a better word, it's "gentler" than plugging into your Mac first, and then the wall.

artie505 #44947 06/06/17 04:25 PM
OP Offline

OK. At home I always unhook from the mac to get to the printer and then rehook up when I bring it back to the room. But when I take it places, I always plug it in while it' already in the Mac. I had no idea. I will change that from now on.

quote=artie505]

For lack of a better word, it's "gentler" than plugging into your Mac first, and then the wall. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard