FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Disk Warrior
#44833 06/02/17 06:08 PM
OP Offline

This is for Jon Chuzi or anyone else who has input. I know a lot of people like Disk Warrior but this is what I found on some Amazon reviews. There were good reviews for sure but the bad ones scared me. Negtive Disk Warrior Reviews

Any one experience this kind of stuff?

Last edited by cyn; 06/13/17 07:33 AM. Reason: Topic moved from the "Peripherals" forum to the "Mac OS X Applications" forum.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Disk Warrior
plantsower #44834 06/02/17 06:15 PM

All I can say is that I have never had a problem with Disk Warrior. There are always people who say negative things but, without knowing details about what happened, I can't speculate about where the fault lies. Maybe it's DW's fault and maybe something else was going on. I can only speak from my experience.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #44836 06/02/17 06:21 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
All I can say is that I have never had a problem with Disk Warrior. There are always people who say negative things but, without knowing details about what happened, I can't speculate about where the fault lies. Maybe it's DW's fault and maybe something else was going on. I can only speak from my experience.

OK, thanks, Jon. I just emailed them with my concerns. We'll see what their response is.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #44837 06/02/17 06:25 PM
OP Offline

Also, Jon, someone was saying the latest one (Disk Warrior 5?) is more difficult to use. I hadn't thought about it begin complicated. I already had to ask a million questions here to learn how to use stuff. Is it more difficult to use than Disk Utility?

Sorry for all the questions.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44839 06/02/17 07:22 PM

I think in this case we have some variation of "survivorship bias" going on. I suspect a great majority of the 1-star reviews are from users that had dead hard drives. DW won't help you if your hardware is broken.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #44840 06/02/17 07:43 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I think in this case we have some variation of "survivorship bias" going on. I suspect a great majority of the 1-star reviews are from users that had dead hard drives. DW won't help you if your hardware is broken.

Good to know. I just didn't like when they blamed third party software for all the problems. It seems like a lot of companies do that like Tivo if your Tivo isn't their brand (it happened to me). That's why I buy all matching TV, sound bar and DVD players so the company can't blame the other company for any problems. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44841 06/02/17 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Also, Jon, someone was saying the latest one (Disk Warrior 5?) is more difficult to use. I hadn't thought about it begin complicated. I already had to ask a million questions here to learn how to use stuff. Is it more difficult to use than Disk Utility?

To me, DW seems to be quite easy to use. Its interface is very intuitive.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #44842 06/02/17 08:05 PM

This is for Jon Chuzi or anyone else who has input. I know a lot of people like Disk Warrior but this is what I found on some Amazon reviews. There were good reviews for sure but the bad ones scared me.

All I can say is that I have never had a problem with Disk Warrior. There are always people who say negative things but, without knowing details about what happened, I can't speculate about where the fault lies.

I'm with Jon. ".... maybe something else was going on."

I don't pay much attention to the reviews of people who are not qualified experts who base opinions on lab tests, proper levels of expertise, et cetera. My reason is simple.

The Mac is an easy machine in which to goof around "under the hood" and therefore people are inclined to do so. However, because many are without any knowledge of what the consequences might be of a tweak here and a tweak there, they compromise their systems.

Then when they try to use a piece of software like DiskWarrior, the software has no idea what it's dealing with and is unable to perform properly. Of course, these people never place the blame on their goofing about....they blame, and bad-mouth, perfectly good software.

So, given I have an an untweaked system, I thought I'd give you some realistic information and got out my DiskWarrior. Using the USB flash drive provided by DiskWarrior, I've just completed a system rebuild. The software worked perfectly.

.....someone was saying the latest one (Disk Warrior 5?) is more difficult to use. I hadn't thought about it being complicated.

Nonsense...click, click, click and Bob's yer uncle.

Last edited by ryck; 06/02/17 08:10 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #44843 06/02/17 08:08 PM
OP Offline

To me, DW seems to be quite easy to use. Its interface is very intuitive.

Yeah, but you're techie smart!! smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

ryck #44844 06/02/17 08:11 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: ryck
This is for Jon Chuzi or anyone else who has input. I know a lot of people like Disk Warrior but this is what I found on some Amazon reviews. There were good reviews for sure but the bad ones scared me.

All I can say is that I have never had a problem with Disk Warrior. There are always people who say negative things but, without knowing details about what happened, I can't speculate about where the fault lies.

I'm with Jon. ".... maybe something else was going on."

I don't pay much attention to the reviews of people who are not qualified experts who base opinions on lab tests, proper levels of expertise, et cetera. My reason is simple.

The Mac is an easy machine in which to goof around "under the hood" and therefore people are inclined to do so. However, because many are without any knowledge of what the consequences might be of a tweak here and a tweak there, they compromise their systems. I tweak things occasionally but usually I ask here first. Is that the type of tweaking you are talking about or something more sinister or complicated that I would probably never do?

Then when they try to use a piece of software like DiskWarrior, the software has no idea what it's dealing with and is unable to perform properly. Of course, these people never place the blame on their goofing about....they blame, and bad-mouth, perfectly good software.

So, given I have an an untweaked system, I thought I'd give you some realistic information and got out my DiskWarrior. Using the USB flash drive provided by DiskWarrior, I've just completed a system rebuild. The software worked perfectly.

.....someone was saying the latest one (Disk Warrior 5?) is more difficult to use. I hadn't thought about it begin complicated.

Nonsense...click, click, click and Bob's yer uncle.
Good old uncle Bob. I really hope it's that simple.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44845 06/02/17 08:30 PM

You flatter me. I know just enough to be dangerous. tongue

Jon

jchuzi #44846 06/02/17 08:33 PM
OP Offline

You flatter me. I know just enough to be dangerous. tongue

That must make me a terrorist!!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44849 06/02/17 11:42 PM

The Mac is an easy machine in which to goof around "under the hood" and therefore people are inclined to do so. However, because many are without any knowledge of what the consequences might be of a tweak here and a tweak there, they compromise their systems. I tweak things occasionally but usually I ask here first. Is that the type of tweaking you are talking about or something more sinister or complicated that I would probably never do?

I'd say it's the latter. Coming to FineTunedMac to get guidance is always the best bet.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
plantsower #44850 06/03/17 12:51 AM

Some perspective on those bad reviews: V1 once posted that DW was about to erase the HDD he was working on when he noticed it in the old/new comparison.

Never skip the step!

But to give you some perspective on whether or not to spend $120 on DW I'll ask if anybody has actually NEEDED it recently, or is everybody just stuck in the periodic maintenance routine and using it solely for that purpose? I don't recall a single problem that's required DW's intervention having been posted in a looong time.

Back in the days when OS X was far less stable than it is today, when I didn't have an external bootable volume, and when DW could be acquired only by snail mail, I considered it to be an extremely worthwhile investment.

Today, those factors have been all but completely resolved, and DW can be acquired immediately upon need and is, therefore, unnecessary up-front insurance. (Just my take on it; I've never upgraded from DW v 4 or TechTool Pro v 6.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44851 06/03/17 02:33 AM

The end of the world must be near — Artie and I in almost. complete agreement. 😀. I haven't used — or needed — anything other than Disk Utility in years. Due to old habits I have kept TechTool Pro current but since the file and disk optimization routines don't make sense with SSD drives and can actually be hazardous to their longevity, I will think long an hard before upgrading it again, even though it has several unique hardware diagnostic tools.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #44852 06/03/17 03:46 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Some perspective on those bad reviews: V1 once posted that DW was about to erase the HDD he was working on when he noticed it in the old/new comparison.

Never skip the step!

But to give you some perspective on whether or not to spend $120 on DW I'll ask if anybody has actually NEEDED it recently, or is everybody just stuck in the periodic maintenance routine and using it solely for that purpose? I don't recall a single problem that's required DW's intervention having been posted in a looong time.

Back in the days when OS X was far less stable than it is today, when I didn't have an external bootable volume, and when DW could be acquired only by snail mail, I considered it to be an extremely worthwhile investment.

Today, those factors have been all but completely resolved, and DW can be acquired immediately upon need and is, therefore, unnecessary up-front insurance. (Just my take on it; I've never upgraded from v 4.)

Darn it, Artie. Now I have to rethink stuff b/c of you and JoeMike! Also, I found out that the reason the Macbook Pro I am looking at is an open box and returned so soon is b/c the person who bought it wanted a touch bar instead so returned it to the shop for a different model.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #44853 06/03/17 03:49 AM
OP Offline

Today, those factors have been all but completely resolved, and DW can be acquired immediately upon need and is, therefore, unnecessary up-front insurance. (Just my take on it; I've never upgraded from v 4.) [/quote]

Not if you can't get your Mac to boot up!! But I have learned I need an external drive in case that happens.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #44854 06/03/17 07:38 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The end of the world must be near — Artie and I in almost. complete agreement. 😀.

laugh

But to get us back on our divergent tracks, with rare exceptions (such as an external backup), I never worry about "What ifs?" until they become "Aw, s@#%, what the f^&* do I do nows!" So, in addition to running neither DW nor TTP, I"m not running Checkmate. laugh

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #44855 06/03/17 07:58 AM

Originally Posted By: artie
Today, those factors have been all but completely resolved, and DW can be acquired immediately upon need and is, therefore, unnecessary up-front insurance. (Just my take on it; I've never upgraded from v 4.)

Not if you can't get your Mac to boot up!! But I have learned I need an external drive in case that happens.

I'm glad you made that point.

I posted secure in the knowledge that everybody's got an external backup. tongue

plantsower #44870 06/03/17 10:41 PM

This is for Jon Chuzi or anyone else who has input. I know a lot of people like Disk Warrior but this is what I found on some Amazon reviews. There were good reviews for sure but the bad ones scared me. Negtive Disk Warrior Reviews

I just looked at those reviews.

The negative reviews (I've posted comments on some) seem to fall into two categories:

1. "This software is stupid and worthless and broken because my hard drive had a mechanical failure and this software couldn't fix it!" Well, um, yes. No software can repair a drive that has physically failed.

2. "This software is stupid and worthless and broken because I tried to use it on a disk that was formatted for Windows computers and it said it couldn't do anything!" Well, um, yes. It's a Mac disk repair program. It only works on Mac-formatted drives.

Last edited by tacit; 06/03/17 10:41 PM.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #44873 06/04/17 12:51 AM
OP Offline

Also, I read where using things like OnyX and similar tools can wear out the SSD faster. Is that true? Should I never use them or very sparingly?

Originally Posted By: tacit

I just looked at those reviews.

The negative reviews (I've posted comments on some) seem to fall into two categories:

1. "This software is stupid and worthless and broken because my hard drive had a mechanical failure and this software couldn't fix it!" Well, um, yes. No software can repair a drive that has physically failed.

2. "This software is stupid and worthless and broken because I tried to use it on a disk that was formatted for Windows computers and it said it couldn't do anything!" Well, um, yes. It's a Mac disk repair program. It only works on Mac-formatted drives.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44876 06/04/17 02:42 AM

Also, I read where using things like OnyX and similar tools can wear out the SSD faster. Is that true? Should I never use them or very sparingly?

This is a good time to link to tacit's post in which he spelled out the life expectancy of a SSD in numeric, rather than "scare" terms.

Bottom line is that pretty darn near nobody will ever write enough data to a SSD to wear it out.

artie505 #44879 06/04/17 03:15 AM
OP Offline

Wow, those Tacit and Virtual 1 posts are geeky to say the least. I do have a question. He kept saying recovery wasn't all that reliable from an SSD (I am paraphrasing). Does that mean recovery mode doesn't work all that well or is it just about, let's say the government, trying to recover something we've deleted.? I have to assume recovery still does what it is supposed to do.

This is a good time to link to tacit's post in which he spelled out the life expectancy of a SSD in numeric, rather than "scare" terms.

Bottom line is that pretty darn near nobody will ever write enough data to a SSD to wear it out.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44881 06/04/17 06:23 AM

Wow, those Tacit and Virtual 1 posts are geeky to say the least. I do have a question. He kept saying recovery wasn't all that reliable from an SSD (I am paraphrasing). Does that mean recovery mode doesn't work all that well or is it just about, let's say the government, trying to recover something we've deleted.? I have to assume recovery still does what it is supposed to do.

"Geeky" is relative: my daughter, who's a certified Mac tech, calls me a geek.

tacit and V1 are both exceptionally knowledgeable, but tacit's writing tends to be more approachable...more easily digestible than V1's.

Your assumption is correct; "recovery", as V1 used it, means recovery of deleted data, not recovery in the sense of restoring your OS.

artie505 #44883 06/04/17 02:46 PM
OP Offline

"Geeky" is relative: my daughter, who's a certified Mac tech, calls me a geek.

tacit and V1 are both exceptionally knowledgeable, but tacit's writing tends to be more approachable...more easily digestible than V1's.

Your assumption is correct; "recovery", as V1 used it, means recovery of deleted data, not recovery in the sense of restoring your OS.

OK, thanks. That's good to know about the recovery. Also, if I was younger and looking for a career, a Mac Tech sounds so much fun.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard