for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
domain blacklisted on spam eating monkey
#44820 06/02/17 01:57 PM
OP Offline

just got a new domain and setup emails with office 365. I can receive mail but cannot send any out, getting the message your domain is blacklisted in fresh15.spameatingmonkey.net
When I go to spameatingmonkey.net I cannot find any link to contact them to have the domain removed from their list. Does anyone know how to reach those people? Thanks

Re: domain blacklisted on spam eating monkey
sergenet #44821 06/02/17 03:08 PM

I found this.

It sounds like you'll be good to go after 15 days, but that's an awfully strange and arbitrary criterion.

Are you getting that message from more than one recipient?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44832 06/02/17 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
It sounds like you'll be good to go after 15 days, but that's an awfully strange and arbitrary criterion.

That is an old criteria put in because spammers will often create a new domain name spew out hundreds of thousands of messages and then fold up shop in a few days or a week after that there have been enough reports they are on the permanent blacklist. This blocks that initial surge.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #44835 06/02/17 06:18 PM
OP Offline

it is also listed on the 30 day list. I don't see why I have to wait 30 days before being able to send emails to our corporate office. when I test yahoo emails it goes through fine. But our server (internal exchange server 2016) rejects emails from the new domain. I added the domain to a white list on the exchange but it had no effect, I added a rule to allow emails from that domain and the same thing, it had no effect.

Last edited by sergenet; 06/02/17 06:23 PM.
sergenet #44847 06/02/17 11:10 PM

I wonder if this addresses your problem...

Originally Posted By: Spam Eating Monkey FAQ
Why are you blocking my mail?

Short answer: We are not blocking your mail. The administrator of the recipient server is blocking your mail.

Long answer: SpamEatingMonkey.com offers reputation information based on mail received by spamtraps and reported by users. If a domain or IP is frequently associated with spam or other unwanted mail, the reputation score is lowered. If the reputation score falls to low it will be listed in our lists such as SEM-BLACK and SEM-URI. Users of this service are then allowed to take action at their discretion, which may include blocking. To reiterate, SpamEatingMonkey.com is not implementing a blocking mechanism. It is the administrator of the recipient's mail server.

Who is running Spam Eating Monkey? You, or somebody a level above you in the email chain?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #44869 06/03/17 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

That is an old criteria put in because spammers will often create a new domain name spew out hundreds of thousands of messages and then fold up shop in a few days or a week after that there have been enough reports they are on the permanent blacklist. This blocks that initial surge.

It blocks only initial, instantaneous surges; it's useless in the face of spammers who create new websites and let them lie "fallow" for the first 15 or however many days.

Seems like an idea that wasn't subjected to much scrutiny before it was implemented.

artie505 #44888 06/04/17 11:08 PM

[Seems like an idea that wasn't subjected to much scrutiny before it was implemented.

Like many ideas from the early days of the internet, it was part of a panic response by the ISPs to the very real threat of severe economic penalties even revocation of operating licenses by state and federal regulators responding to the totally unexpected tsunami of SPAM flowing through the ISPs networks and threatening to overwhelm the nascent internet industry. Even though there may be better techniques available today, the old ones are seldom, if ever, revisited because regulators, developers, users, and investors are too busy damming up the new waves of SPAM that come up daily even hourly.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44891 06/04/17 11:38 PM

Do you know offhand if any ISPs have thrown in the towel on Spam Eating Monkey because it's more detrimental, as in sergenet's case, than effective, or is it still universal (if it ever was universal in the first place)?

sergenet #44896 06/05/17 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: sergenet
it is also listed on the 30 day list. I don't see why I have to wait 30 days before being able to send emails to our corporate office. when I test yahoo emails it goes through fine. But our server (internal exchange server 2016) rejects emails from the new domain. I added the domain to a white list on the exchange but it had no effect, I added a rule to allow emails from that domain and the same thing, it had no effect.

Basically, this means that your place of work is using Spam Eating Monkey to filter their email. Whitelisting won't help; the email is rejected by your company's mail servers before it even gets to your whitelist.

This is a corporate decision your company's IT staff has made. Can you talk directly to your IT department?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #44910 06/05/17 06:01 PM
OP Offline

I am the IT department. I took over a few months ago. Any suggestions to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

artie505 #44911 06/05/17 06:17 PM

Do you know offhand if any ISPs have thrown in the towel on Spam Eating Monkey because it's more detrimental, as in sergenet's case, than effective, or is it still universal (if it ever was universal in the first place)?

There are over 100 different domain blacklist services. You can find a comparison of Blacklist products on Wikipedia.

Most DNS servers use multiple blacklists to screen domains, so getting off of one blacklist does not guarantee the domain will not be blocked by another blacklist used by the same Das server. If you use a paid OpenDNS account you can log into your account and whitelist a specific domain.

So yes blacklists of all varieties, with different objectives but maybe duplicated individual criteria, including Spam eating Monkey are still used pretty universally on all DNS servers. There are DNS servers that are not so picky because they make their money servicing the spammers (think Russia, China, and other notorious regions) but unless you are a serious cyber malefactor, you are extremely unlikely to knowingly use.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44919 06/05/17 11:33 PM
OP Offline

I found out I can send emails out from the blacklisted domain to other organizations and pop accounts but not to our corporate email server. It is rejecting the emails as spam. Any thoughts on how to get this to work? I already sent a message to spam eating monkey but no reply since last Friday.

sergenet #44920 06/06/17 12:03 AM

Since it's your own organization that's running SEM, it seems as though you, as IT admin, should have some sort of control over its filtering; have you got some sort of user documentation to look through?

Originally Posted By: Spam Eating Monkey FAQ
SpamEatingMonkey.com offers reputation information based on mail received by spamtraps and reported by users. If a domain or IP is frequently associated with spam or other unwanted mail, the reputation score is lowered. If the reputation score falls to low it will be listed in our lists such as SEM-BLACK and SEM-URI. Users of this service are then allowed to take action at their discretion, which may include blocking. To reiterate, SpamEatingMonkey.com is not implementing a blocking mechanism. It is the administrator of the recipient's mail server.(Emphasis added)

The underlined portion suggests that you, as admin, may be empowered.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard