Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Connecting External Hard Drive
jchuzi #44765 05/31/17 05:59 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Perhaps Which Mac should you buy? will have something useful.

Thanks, Jon. A bunch more to think about. When the conference happens in June and they maybe feature new macs, does that mean they will be available then or at some future date?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #44767 05/31/17 06:21 PM
OP Offline

You've lucked into the Mac that's been blessed with perhaps the longest life Apple has ever bestowed on a machine.

That's because I got a bunch of input from you guys here before I bought it! smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #44769 05/31/17 06:55 PM
OP Offline

More: Are you sure you deleted all of Softorino's components? (I d/l'ed it, but I didn't see an uninstaller.) [/quote]

You know a lot of the stuff wouldn't come off with EasyFind so I gave Softorino permission to look into my computer. I hate doing that. When we were done, It all seemed okay but I checked with EasyFind and couldn't get rid of all of the TeamViewer files that went in when they got into my computer to help me. I finally figured it out but when I went back to my desktop, the display had changed from what I had to a different color. That's when I thought something had gone haywire because I only got rid of stuff with the name TeamViewer in the files.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44772 05/31/17 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
WHY IS MY COLOR CODING SHOWING UP? WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

You typed {color:#FF0000][/color] at both the beginning and end of what you wanted colored.

Since all you need to type is {color:#FF0000] at the beginning and [/color] at the end, the leading [/color] and trailing {color:#FF0000] show up as extraneous text, like so:

[/color] Well, you live in the city that never sleeps so that can happen. I live where the crickets and frogs start in around bedtime and all the stores and most of the restaurants are closed by 10 p.m. Good thing I'm not a night owl!! [color:#FF0000]

I think you'll see what I mean if you look at this post by hitting "Quote".

(I had to substitute { for [ in several places to get this post straight.)

More later.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44773 05/31/17 09:44 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505

You typed {color:#FF0000][/color] at both the beginning and end of what you wanted colored.

Since all you need to type is {color:#FF0000] at the beginning and [/color] at the end, the leading [/color] and trailing{color:#FF0000]show up as extraneous text, like so:

[/color] Well, you live in the city that never sleeps so that can happen. I live where the crickets and frogs start in around bedtime and all the stores and most of the restaurants are closed by 10 p.m. Good thing I'm not a night owl!! [color:#FF0000]

More later.

{color:#FF0000]Good Morning, Artie!! I just used the color icon in the tool bar. There are no instructions that I could see so I expected it to work with just the color in front. But the color continued on into what you said in the email so I ended what I said with the color icon again. I'll try it your way here.{color/] Well, that didn't work!

Last edited by plantsower; 05/31/17 09:47 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44775 05/31/17 10:36 PM

{color:#FF0000]Good Morning, Artie!! I just used the color icon in the tool bar. There are no instructions that I could see so I expected it to work with just the color in front. But the color continued on into what you said in the email so I ended what I said with the color icon again. I'll try it your way here.{color/] Well, that didn't work!

And good evening to you, Rita. smile

It didn't work because you used { instead of [, so the software didn't recognize the tags. (I substituted { for [ to "fool" the software, because it would have displayed red text in all sorts of weird places otherwise.)

Here's what my earlier post would have looked like if I hadn't done the substitution:

You typed [/color] at both the beginning and end of what you wanted colored.

Since all you need to type is [color:#FF0000] at the beginning and
at the end, the leading [/color] and trailing show up as extraneous text, like so:

[color:#FF0000]
Well, you live in the city that never sleeps so that can happen. I live where the crickets and frogs start in around bedtime and all the stores and most of the restaurants are closed by 10 p.m. Good thing I'm not a night owl!! [/color]

I think you'll see what I mean if you look at [color:#FF0000]this post
by hitting "Quote".

More later.

as opposed to

Since all you need to type is {color:#FF0000] at the beginning and [/color] at the end, the leading [/color] and trailing{color:#FF0000]show up as extraneous text, like so:

More later.

Confusing as all get-out, huh?

After you hit the "Color" icon you insert your text between the two bracketed items...here; you don't hit it at the beginning and end as you've been doing. (Hit "Quote" again, and look at how I typed here.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44776 05/31/17 10:49 PM
OP Offline

And good evening to you, Rita. smile

It didn't work because you used { instead of [, so the software didn't recognize the tags. (I substituted { for [ to "fool" the software, because it would have displayed red text in all sorts of weird places otherwise.)

Here's what my earlier post would have looked like if I hadn't done the substitution:

You typed [/color] at both the beginning and end of what you wanted colored.

Since all you need to type is [color:#FF0000] at the beginning and
at the end, the leading [/color] and trailing show up as extraneous text, like so:

[color:#FF0000]
Well, you live in the city that never sleeps so that can happen. I live where the crickets and frogs start in around bedtime and all the stores and most of the restaurants are closed by 10 p.m. Good thing I'm not a night owl!! [/color]

I think you'll see what I mean if you look at [color:#FF0000]this post
by hitting "Quote".

More later.

Confusing as all get-out, huh? Yep!! I give up![b][/b]

After you hit the "Color" icon you insert your text between the two bracketed items...here; you don't hit it at the beginning and end as you've been doing. (Hit "Quote", again and look at how I typed here.

[Green]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44777 05/31/17 10:52 PM

Nope... Green and Yep!! I give up!

artie505 #44778 06/01/17 01:39 AM

The correct coding is
Code:
[color:#FF6600]insert text here[/color] 

Which renders as insert text here

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #44779 06/01/17 02:33 AM
OP Offline

OK, trying again. This should be green

Yay!!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #44780 06/01/17 02:34 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The correct coding is
Code:

Thank you! I am a very visual person. Sometimes words don't mean much to me. Now I've got it!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #44781 06/01/17 03:36 AM

The correct coding is
Code:

Thanks for pointing out that tags are ignored in [code] text; I never would have even thought to try.

plantsower #44782 06/01/17 03:41 AM

Yay!!

I think you meant Yay! smile

artie505 #44783 06/01/17 03:50 AM
OP Offline

Yay!!

I think you meant Yay! smile

HUH?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44784 06/01/17 03:51 AM

You forgot to say "Yay!" in bold face.

artie505 #44785 06/01/17 03:56 AM
OP Offline

You forgot to say "Yay!" in bold face.

Let's see if I can even do that. YAY! smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44786 06/01/17 03:58 AM

By George, she's got it! laugh

joemikeb #44787 06/01/17 08:07 AM

This is a combined response to joemike and Rita.

I think I am hearing you say you want a new computer and, if that is the case, then no amount of backing and filling, upgrading, or enhancing your current Macbook Pro is likely to ever satisfy you.

The score: Dunninger: 1
                 artie        : 0

Your sentiment is 1000% correct, but I thought Rita was merely biting the bullet and researching in anticipation of an ultimate reality in which her MBP is bricked until "iBook G4 - OSX - Tiger 10.4.11 - Safari 4.1.3 (still own but don't use much)" changed to "...I still want to keep my MBP but since my iBook bit the dust (I mean really bit the dust more than my MBP) I need a backup so my old MPB will be just that."

Well, how about that!

From my bleeding edge viewpoint the Touch Bar feature is a significant new feature that like many others is hard to grasp until you have actually used it.

I've neither run across nor searched for any commentary about the Touch Bar, but the fact that getting one necessitates spending an extra $300 on an MBP probably speaks VOLUMES to many people.

Originally Posted By: Rita
...something that is tried and true more than brand new but not real old.

That's more or less of a description of your current MBP! wink

By the way, I just went through the entire Apple Refurb Store, and with the exception of a Refurbished March 2015 11.6-inch MacBook Air 1.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 for $759, your current MBP for $829 was the least expensive machine listed...when it was listed: Apple's entire stock of them (however many that might have been) sold out overnight.

...I still want to keep my MBP but since my iBook bit the dust (I mean really bit the dust more than my MBP) I need a backup so my old MPB will be just that.

Well, now, where the heck did that come from all of a sudden? (You need to change your sig. wink )

Your original post in this thread said "Help! I am using my old IBook right now."

I can see the battery having died of disuse atrophy, but are you saying that your iBook won't even start up if it's plugged into the wall?

When the conference happens in June and they maybe feature new macs, does that mean they will be available then or at some future date?

When new Macs are announced, they generally aren't available for several months. joemike opined "third quarter".

Last edited by artie505; 06/01/17 02:53 PM. Reason: Add Dunninger link

artie505 #44795 06/01/17 03:39 PM
OP Offline

...something that is tried and true more than brand new but not real old.

That's more or less of a description of your current MBP! wink I know, I know! frown

Well, now, where the heck did that come from all of a sudden? (You need to change your sig. wink ) [color:#FF0000Huh?][/color]

Your original post in this thread said "[color:#3366FF]Help! I am using my old IBook right now.[/color]"

I can see the battery having died of disuse atrophy, but are you saying that your iBook won't even start up if it's plugged into the wall? Yep, plugged in. It was working okay but kind of dim. Then the next time I tried to use it it wouldn't start up at all. Not even the Apple page with the chime.

When the conference happens in June and they maybe feature new macs, does that mean they will be available then or at some future date?

When new Macs are announced, they generally aren't available for several months. joemike opined "third quarter". [/quote] I don't think I want to wait that long. The link I sent you from LA Computer Company seems to have the most bells and whistles by which I mean inlines than any new ones. I wouldn't have to have the hemorrhoid look by attaching so many adaptors. Are dongles the same as adaptors? It's also eligible for AppleCare since the original warranty is still good until 1/18.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44806 06/02/17 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: artie
(You need to change your sig. wink )

Huh?

Your sig still says "iBook G4 - OSX - Tiger 10.4.11 - Safari 4.1.3 (still own but don't use much)"; that's why I didn't think you were serious about buying a new Mac.

I can see the battery having died of disuse atrophy, but are you saying that your iBook won't even start up if it's plugged into the wall?

Yep, plugged in. It was working okay but kind of dim. Then the next time I tried to use it it wouldn't start up at all. Not even the Apple page with the chime.

That's a new one on me; I didn't think electronics died "just like that".

I think you ought to at least start a new thread and maybe get some feedback before you buy a new MBP. (Be sure to be crystal clear about how much/little you've used the iBook, and for how long.)

Last edited by artie505; 06/02/17 01:08 AM. Reason: Cleanup

plantsower #44807 06/02/17 02:32 AM

When new Macs are announced, they generally aren't available for several months. joemike opined "third quarter".

I don't think I want to wait that long. The link I sent you from LA Computer Company seems to have the most bells and whistles by which I mean inlines than any new ones. I wouldn't have to have the hemorrhoid look by attaching so many adaptors. Are dongles the same as adaptors? It's also eligible for AppleCare since the original warranty is still good until 1/18.

The MBP to which you linked is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), and yes, its 2 x USB 3.0 ports and combined headphone/line in jack, etc, provide functionality that's missing from later models. (By definition, a dongle is either a software unlocking or Internet connectivity device, but I think the word has fallen into the vernacular as [almost?] anything [other than a cable, of course] that plugs into a USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt port, so under that definition, an adaptor is a dongle.)

I don't like the Force Touch trackpad one little bit, but that's personal preference related to my usage habits.

Personally, I'd like to know why this open box MBP is available...buyer changed mind or out of the box defective.

Apple hasn't got any similar MBPs listed in the Certified Refurbished Store at the moment, but I'd be curious to see their prices when they come up.

artie505 #44809 06/02/17 03:39 AM
OP Offline

I don't think I want to wait that long. The link I sent you from LA Computer Company seems to have the most bells and whistles by which I mean inlines than any new ones. I wouldn't have to have the hemorrhoid look by attaching so many adaptors. Are dongles the same as adaptors? It's also eligible for AppleCare since the original warranty is still good until 1/18.

The MBP to which you linked is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), and yes, its 2 x USB 3.0 ports and combined headphone/line in jack, etc, provide functionality that's missing from later models. (By definition, a dongle is either a software unlocking or Internet connectivity device, but I think the word has fallen into the vernacular as [almost?] anything [other than a cable, of course] that plugs into a USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt port, so under that definition, an adaptor is a dongle.) OK, thanks.

I don't like the Force Touch trackpad one little bit, but that's personal preference related to my usage habits. Why don't you like it? I read where you can control the pressure feel of it in sys prefs I think. I'm a little concerned about it, too but they say you can get used to it.

Personally, I'd like to know why this open box MBP is available...buyer changed mind or out of the box defective. Good question. I just emailed the store owner to find out. If all the new Macs are coming with less and less inlines, then I definitely want an older one like this.

Apple hasn't got any similar MBPs listed in the Certified Refurbished Store at the moment, but I'd be curious to see their prices when they come up.
I'm not sure why they are not in the Apple website but lots of places are selling them including New Egg and Amazon. I forgot my iBook was still on my profile. I will remove it. I really don't think there is hope for it and it's so old I am just going to toss it. Want it?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44810 06/02/17 07:29 AM

I don't like the Force Touch trackpad one little bit, but that's personal preference related to my usage habits.

Why don't you like it? I read where you can control the pressure feel of it in sys prefs I think. I'm a little concerned about it, too but they say you can get used to it.

I suppose you can get used to it, but I liked the Multi-touch trackpad from the get-go.

Yes, the Force Touch trackpad's click pressure can be adjusted in System Prefs, but not with a slider, rather it's a 1 - 2 - 3 setup that leaves me unable to get to where I"d like to be, and further, things I used to do effortlessly still require thinking, and unexpected things still happen...after a year, which I consider a giant step backwards.

I'm not sure why they are not in the Apple website but lots of places are selling them including New Egg and Amazon. I really don't think there is hope for it and it's so old I am just going to toss it. Want it?

Nope, Apple's got them; you've just got to know where to look. wink

And since Apple's got them, they'll eventually turn up in the Refurbished Store (which, incidentally, is my preferred source).

(In reality, Newegg isn't selling them...merely fronting for other sellers, same as Amazon does, and that doesn't appeal to me in the least.)

I'd spend money on the postage to get your iBook only on the assumption that V1 can bail it out, but if it actually can be bailed out, my taking it wouldn't be fair to you.

Post the issue! You've got nothing to lose, and since it's only a backup machine, its age doesn't really matter.

Funny that early on you expressed disappointment at having to replace the "only 5 year[s] old" MBP, and now you seem to be hell-bent to buy a new one. laugh

artie505 #44822 06/02/17 03:23 PM
OP Offline

I'd spend money on the postage to get your iBook only on the assumption that V1 can bail it out, but if it actually can be bailed out, my taking it wouldn't be fair to you. I don't think that way. If someone can use what I give away, all the better. I am always giving stuff to the Thrift store rather than selling it. No biggie to me. If you want it, ck with V1 and make a decision. I don't think it would be fair to you because you are taking a big chance. It does have Appleworks though. smile

Post the issue! You've got nothing to lose, and since it's only a backup machine, its age doesn't really matter. I'm done with the iBook issue. I've moved on. smile

Funny that early on you expressed disappointment at having to replace the "only 5 year[s] old" MBP, and now you seem to be hell-bent to buy a new one. laugh [/quote] I've become resigned and also a little excited about getting a new one. My MBP hangs up a lot as did the iBook after a few years. I've done all I can think to do and everything mentioned when I asked for help, but it's the same. So, I guess I am done with my MBP except as a backup using my external drive as that's the only way I can get it to work.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #44828 06/02/17 04:37 PM

Funny that early on you expressed disappointment at having to replace the "only 5 year[s] old" MBP, and now you seem to be hell-bent to buy a new one. laugh

To me it is typical of the human condition. Thus my previous comment…
I think I am hearing you say you want a new computer and, if that is the case, then no amount of backing and filling, upgrading, or enhancing your current Macbook Pro is likely to ever satisfy you. At least it has never satisfied me in my 40+ years of experience in personal computing. (OMG — I wish I hadn't added all those years up, it makes me feel old 👴🏻)

I thank God for our differences.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard