for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Choosing a new Laptop
#44724 05/29/17 08:55 PM
OP Offline

So, while still trying to reinstall Mavericks to my 2012 Macbook Pro, I thought I would shop for a replacement should that become necessary. I am wondering why the 13" Macbook Air is so much cheaper than the 13" Macbook pro. After looking at the comparisons, I don't see much difference.

Anyone have an opinion? Mostly I surf, shop, do email and watch videos from time to time.

Last edited by dianne; 05/31/17 04:02 PM. Reason: Moved from the Networking forum.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Choosing a new Laptop
plantsower #44727 05/30/17 03:06 AM
OP Offline

Well uploading Mavericks and installing it again didn't work. I guess I need a new computer. Only the first page shows up with the Apple logo.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44728 05/30/17 04:15 AM

I dunno, Rita; it doesn't seem the least bit likely that trying to delete an app would fry even your HD, let alone your MBP in its entirety.

Do you use Time Machine, or have you got a bootable clone on your external drive?

Last edited by artie505; 05/30/17 04:32 AM. Reason: More

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44731 05/30/17 04:46 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
I dunno, Rita; it doesn't seem the least bit likely that trying to delete an app would fry even your HD, let alone your MBP in its entirety.

Do you use Time Machine, or have you got a bootable clone on your external drive?

I tried booting up from my external hard drive but All I got was the recovery option. It was as if I haven't even connected the external drive.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44732 05/30/17 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I tried booting up from my external hard drive but All I got was the recovery option. It was as if I haven't even connected the external drive.

I dunno, Rita; at his point I'm beat for even wild guesses, so I second your motion to get your MBP to a Genius Bar! (Be sure to bring oyur external along with you.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44733 05/30/17 05:04 AM
OP Offline

I dunno, Rita; at his point I'm beat for even wild guesses, so I second your motion to get your MBP to a Genius Bar! (Be sure to bring oyur external along with you.)

Most genius bars are pretty far away and they have only three star ratings with a lot of complaints so I still don't know what I'm gonna do. It's expensive either way you want to look at it. I might call them tomorrow and ask if they have a maximum charge or if it goes over a certain mount of it just stays there I hope.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44734 05/30/17 05:13 AM

Most genius bars are pretty far away and they have only three star ratings with a lot of complaints so I still don't know what I'm gonna do. It's expensive either way you want to look at it. I might call them tomorrow and ask if they have a maximum charge or if it goes over a certain mount of it just stays there I hope.

I had a feeling that you weren't around the corner from a genius Bar. frown

I think they'll diagnose your problem for nothing, and with a bit of luck they'll reinstall OS X for free if that's all that's necessary. (They're pretty accommodating in NYC. smile )

Last edited by artie505; 05/30/17 05:20 AM. Reason: Optimism

artie505 #44735 05/30/17 05:25 AM
OP Offline

I had a feeling that you weren't around the corner from a genius Bar. frown

I think they'll diagnose your problem for nothing, and with a bit of luck they'll reinstall OS X for free if that's all that's necessary. (They're pretty accommodating in NYC. smile )

I hope you are right about them being accommodating. And maybe free! BTW did you see my post about comparing laptops on the networking section? I'd be interested in your input. Time for bed. I'll read your response tomorrow. If you're in New York City you're up way past your bedtime go to bed. Zzzzz

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44736 05/30/17 03:06 PM

If you are considering a new laptop I would wait until after the WWDC next week and see what announcements are made there. As to a rough comparison of Apple's laptop models…

The MacBook Air is the lowest price and you get a lot of performance for the money. However it is rumored it may be dropped from production. Look for more news on that at WWDC. The MacBook is actually smaller and lighter than MacBook Air but only has one USB C port which is arguably both a benefit and a deficit depending on your viewpoint. Either should meet your described usage pattern quite well.

Based on your usage there is a third viable option that IMHO is worth your consideration, the 12.9" iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard, and if you are into graphics the Apple Pencil. Same screen size, iOS instead of MacOS for easier use, as fast or faster speed, roughly the same size screen, great battery life, and optionally will work using cellular data as well as WiFi. I have encouraged a couple of friends with similar use patterns to you to get iPad Pros. They have been very pleased and neither has contacted me even once for technical help.

When you are looking don't forget Apple Factory Refurbished Equipment can save you a few bucks and come with factory new warranty.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44739 05/30/17 04:43 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
If you are considering a new laptop I would wait until after the WWDC next week and see what announcements are made there. As to a rough comparison of Apple's laptop models…

The MacBook Air is the lowest price and you get a lot of performance for the money. However it is rumored it may be dropped from production. Look for more news on that at WWDC. The MacBook is actually smaller and lighter than MacBook Air but only has one USB C port which is arguably both a benefit and a deficit depending on your viewpoint. Either should meet your described usage pattern quite well.

Based on your usage there is a third viable option that IMHO is worth your consideration, the 12.9" iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard, and if you are into graphics the Apple Pencil. Same screen size, iOS instead of MacOS for easier use, as fast or faster speed, roughly the same size screen, great battery life, and optionally will work using cellular data as well as WiFi. I have encouraged a couple of friends with similar use patterns to you to get iPad Pros. They have been very pleased and neither has contacted me even once for technical help.

When you are looking don't forget Apple Factory Refurbished Equipment can save you a few bucks and come with factory new warranty.

Wow, thanks for all the info. You know, I tried an iPad at a friend's house thinking it would be so easy as I have had Apples for years. I was completely lost and really didn't like it. I prefer a real keyboard. smile After comparing, I will probably go with the 13" Macbook Pro. I may or not wait until the Conference. I am having to use my husband's PC for now which is way better than using my iPhone which to me is a pain for using the web.

It's gonna be weird having a laptop without a headphone input or a CD/DVD holder but I haven't really used them in a long time.

Change is scary to me and it always takes me about a week to acclimate to a new laptop.

Thanks again for your input.

Last edited by plantsower; 05/30/17 05:14 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44759 05/31/17 02:06 PM

I've bought several computers from http://www.macofalltrades.com

They sell used macs as well as upgrades. Macs do tend to maintain their value for a few years anyway, so you don't get a huge discount on newish machines. But they're a great source for older hardware on the cheap, and it comes with a short warranty that you can extend. Customer service on the phone is also excellent.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #44766 05/31/17 06:17 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I've bought several computers from http://www.macofalltrades.com

They sell used macs as well as upgrades. Macs do tend to maintain their value for a few years anyway, so you don't get a huge discount on newish machines. But they're a great source for older hardware on the cheap, and it comes with a short warranty that you can extend. Customer service on the phone is also excellent.

Thanks. Reading the link now.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard