for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Recent Releases and Rumors of Coming Attractions
#44646 05/17/17 09:13 PM
OP Online

Lest anyone get complacent with this week's MacOS, iOS, and TVOS updates, MacOS 10.12.6 and iOS 10.3.3 have already been released into beta.

Further, it is anticipated MacOS 10.13 and iOS 10.4 will be announced at the WWDC three weeks from now with a release date in the late second to early fourth quarter 2017.

Other possible WWDC announcements include...
  • Upgraded MacBook Pro (Sorry Artie no new ports and still the same super thin form, just a faster CPU — apparently the anticipated low power ARM chip that is supposed to take over some processing functions isn't ready yet.)
  • MacBook CPU upgrade
  • The surprise is a possible upgrade of the MacBook Air CPU upgrade. (It has been anticipated the Macbook Air would be EOLed.)
  • 12.9", 10.5", and 9.7" iPad Pros
  • low cost 9.7" iPad
  • iPad mini EOL
  • The rumor mill does not anticipate any upgrade/update announcements for any desktop computer including the iMac, Mac Pro, or Mac mini. 😱 (Hopefully when there is an announcement on desktop models it will be significant and not just a slightly faster CPU.)
  • an Apple remote speaker and other accessories.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Recent Releases and Rumors of Coming Attractions
joemikeb #44652 05/18/17 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
...it is anticipated MacOS 10.13 and iOS 10.4 will be announced at the WWDC three weeks from now with a release date in the late second to early fourth quarter 2017.

You obviously meant 2018.

Other possible WWDC announcements include...
  • Upgraded MacBook Pro (Sorry Artie no new ports and still the same super thin form, just a faster CPU — apparently the anticipated low power ARM chip that is supposed to take over some processing functions isn't ready yet.)

Considering the direction Apple has taken, there NOT being FEWER ports is an almost remarkable moral victory!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44656 05/18/17 12:33 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
...it is anticipated MacOS 10.13 and iOS 10.4 will be announced at the WWDC three weeks from now with a release date in the late second to early fourth quarter 2017.

You obviously meant 2018.

No I meant toward the end this year which according to my calendar will still be 2017. However I should have said late third to early fourth quarter 2017.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44660 05/18/17 03:35 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Late 2nd quarter of 2017 was obviously not going to happen, and early 4th quarter still seems like a pretty ambitious timetable considering that the 10.12.6 beta is on the way and no 10.13 betas have been released yet. (I should have realized that late 4th quarter of 2018 was equally unlikely, though.)

Maybe Apple's got a better handle on this version of macOS than on previous versions of their OS? (Or is my timing off again?)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44663 05/18/17 05:46 PM
OP Online

Late 2nd quarter of 2017 was obviously not going to happen, and early 4th quarter still seems like a pretty ambitious timetable considering that the 10.12.6 beta is on the way and no 10.13 betas have been released yet. (I should have realized that late 4th quarter of 2018 was equally unlikely, though.)

Maybe Apple's got a better handle on this version of macOS than on previous versions of their OS? (Or is my timing off again?)

I am terrible at remembering dates and timelines (after 58 years of marriage I still have to look at my calendar to be sure of the day of our anniversary) but according to Mactracker the recent release dates have been...
  • Yosemite — October 16, 2014
  • El Capitan — September 30, 2015
  • Sierra — September 20, 2016
So it would be reasonable to expect MacOS 10.13 (whatever it will be nicknamed) upgrade to be released in the late September or early October 2017 time frame. Updates have been averaging every two months which would imply the current 10.12.6 may be the final Sierra update.

As a side note for the last couple of years MacOS and iOS upgrades and updates have been closely synchronized, often within 24 hours of one another, which speaks to the co-development of the two OS variants.

IIRC each of the upgrades was announced at the WWDC the previous June to give application developers a head start on updating their apps to adapt to new features and changes in the forthcoming OS version.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44664 05/18/17 07:29 PM

I am terrible at remembering dates and timelines (after 58 years of marriage I still have to look at my calendar to be sure of the day of our anniversary) ...

Side comment:
You bloody well better if you want to see #59! wink
Although I'm sure that madame is fully aware of your foibles and appreciative of your conscientiousness, no matter how it's achieved. (If she weren't, you'd never had made it to #58. And, by the bye, start planning for your diamond.)

grelber #44668 05/19/17 03:43 PM
OP Online

I just came across this 9to5 Mac article on an iOS 11 concept. Lots of interesting stuff including, are you ready for this, a Finder. Some other features, like the Shelf appear really useful and hopefully would also find their way into MacOS 10.13 as well.

Most will be revealed at the WWDC Keynote address June 5 with details trickling out through the remainder of that week.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44670 05/19/17 04:42 PM

I just came across this 9to5 Mac article on an iOS 11 concept. Lots of interesting stuff including, are you ready for this, a Finder.

Wasn't Steve Jobs considered more or less brilliant in the early days of iOS for having realized that a Finder was NOT the way to go?

artie505 #44671 05/19/17 05:18 PM
OP Online

Wasn't Steve Jobs considered more or less brilliant in the early days of iOS for having realized that a Finder was NOT the way to go?

Yes, but as the iPad and iPad apps have become more and more powerful to the point the iPad is approaching the functionality of laptops, there is a growing demand for the ability to share files between apps, so at least rudimentary Finder functionality is desireable. As I understand the concept there still won't be a file system per se, but you will be able to find files across applications and even open those files in other apps.

The Shelf I mentioned allows the user to place several images, clips, URLs, etc. on the {i]Shelf[/i] and later insert them into other documents, messages, emails, or what have you. Basically the "Clipboard" on steroids.

Some of these features are available between specific apps in iOS 10.3 but by moving these functions to the OS would make the features available across all iOS apps.

NOTE: the concept article talks about these new features for the iPad, and there is no mention of the iPhone. Like some iOS 10.3 features would they be available only on the iPad or perhaps even only on the iPad Pro?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44673 05/20/17 03:10 PM

Yes, but as the iPad and iPad apps have become more and more powerful to the point the iPad is approaching the functionality of laptops, there is a growing demand for the ability to share files between apps, so at least rudimentary Finder functionality is desireable. As I understand the concept there still won't be a file system per se, but you will be able to find files across applications and even open those files in other apps.

To some extent could the iCloud give this functionality? You would just need the ability for an app to access iCloud; something like an Open/Save dialog. Of course some users might resist the forced use of iCloud for this capability.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #44674 05/20/17 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L

To some extent could the iCloud give this functionality? You would just need the ability for an app to access iCloud; something like an Open/Save dialog. Of course some users might resist the forced use of iCloud for this capability.

Not to mention that reliance on iCloud for functionality would prevent devices from being freestanding.

Ira L #44675 05/20/17 09:36 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Ira L

Given iOS apps store their inactive files on the iCloud Drive it would certainly be involved and I would expect the implementation to be a form of Open/Save dialog. Probably an extension of the Open/Save currently implemented in iOS.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44676 05/20/17 10:04 PM

Given iOS apps store their inactive files on the iCloud Drive it would certainly be involved and I would expect the implementation to be a form of Open/Save dialog. Probably an extension of the Open/Save currently implemented in iOS.

It's long been obvious that iOS devices aren't my forte, so
  1. If inactive files are stored in the cloud, how much functionality will you actually have when you're not connected to the Internet, even with a Finder?
  2. What's on an iPad with 256GB of storage if not your files?

Last edited by artie505; 05/20/17 11:13 PM. Reason: Redo

artie505 #44677 05/21/17 01:33 AM
OP Online

It's long been obvious that iOS devices aren't my forte, so
  1. If inactive files are stored in the cloud, how much functionality will you actually have when you're not connected to the Internet, even with a Finder?
  2. What's on an iPad with 256GB of storage if not your files?

1. Quite a bit actually. you can have a number of "active files" open in a single app. They are retained on the iOS device. I have never found myself limited because some files are on iCloud.
  2. There are several thousand items stored on my iPhone and an equal number on the iPad and I am disinclined to go into a complete list of all of them or even a complete list of all the various types of data, but off the top of my head the major items include:
    • thousands of images "optimized" for the particular device
    • dowloaded tunes (curated from my full iTunes library on iCloud)
    • downloaded Videos (selected to be available when I do not have internet)
    • Downloaded movies (to keep boredom at bay while flying)
    • downloaded audio books (my current listen and the next on my list)
    • downloaded iBooks and other electronic print media (also a curated selection)
    • database application data (i.e. MacTracker data, 1Password data, Contact lists etc.
    • downloaded emails
    • "active" data files in applications
    • By-the-way, did I mention Apps? Some of those puppies occupy a good bit of storage and even more if you include their active data file(s)

NOTE: Taking advantage of several iCloud storage optimizations and options I'm MacOS 10.12 and iOS 10.3 I am using significantly less physical storage on my Mac as well as my iPhone and iPad and seldom, if ever, losing any real functionality. Take Photos for example. Along with iTunes the Photos database eats up more storage than almost any other single database on either MacOS or iOS. By choosing to have "optimized" images on my iOS devices, what is stored on my iOS devices — and on my Mac for that matter — are reduced size images optimized for the screen size of the device. They are entirely adequate for use on the particular device and occupy only a fraction of the storage space of the full image that is store on my iCloud Drive. If I want to edit or share the full image then WiFi will be needed, but the download is entirely transparent. In fact in many cases I don't think the full image is actually downloaded to the device, but is linked in directly from the iCloud Drive.

Admittedly I still keep the full images in the Photos library on my server as a belt and suspenders but I will likely give that up in the future as unnecessary. Maybe when I install MacOS 10.13 and iOS 10.4 laugh

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44680 05/23/17 06:26 AM

That's Eagle Scout preparedness!

Thanks for the peek inside your iPad and its functionality; it's a head turner for me.

artie505 #44683 05/23/17 04:35 PM
OP Online

Describing the content of my iPad and iPhone reminded me of an old tried and true rule about software describing the code bloat that often overwhelms even best software.
Originally Posted By: rule
20% of the functions do 80% of the work

or conversly

80% of the functions are used less than 20% of the time *
The software development community I worked in, evolved our own corollaries
Originally Posted By: Software Engineer's Corollary
90% of the work in software is performed by 10% of the code
Originally Posted By: Project Manager's Corollary
The most exotic and least often used 10% of the code will consume 90% of the development effort
So assuming thoughtful functional analysis by iOS app developers, in spite of the storage and other limitations imposed by the iOS environment, iOS apps should be capable of all but the most esoteric tasks. The catch in this is…
  • Picking the correct 10% of the functions
  • Invariably every user will have at least one "I use it all the time" function that will be left out. crazy

Footnote
* Like Murphy's law that 80/20 ratio extends across virtually all disciplines.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44698 05/24/17 04:45 PM
OP Online

Another Nail in the coffin of multiple external buss connections

Intel announced today Thunderbolt 3 will be built into future Intel CPUs under a non-exclusive royalty free license. Space saving on the logic board will probably be negligible but it should reduce power consumption because a separate controller will not be needed. Apparently the move is intended to force urge vendors to the new standard. That should portend more high speed accessories at lower cost for Apple users. cool

It is also likely that will enable Apple to continue their current development trajectory toward ever thinner, lighter, laptops with longer battery life and fewer external ports, which will not be good news for some users.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44703 05/25/17 04:12 PM

Intel announced today Thunderbolt 3 will be built into future Intel CPUs under a non-exclusive royalty free license. Space saving on the logic board will probably be negligible but it should reduce power consumption because a separate controller will not be needed. Apparently the move is intended to force urge vendors to the new standard. That should portend more high speed accessories at lower cost for Apple users.

That's always been the weak spot of PC hardware adoption... it's gotta be super cheap or free to be standard. I'm pretty sure that's why we never saw firewire as a standard on PCs, even back when it was absolutely curb-stomping USB for speed.

("If I'd have actually been willing to pay for good hardware, I'd have bought a mac!")

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #44706 05/25/17 05:36 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
That's always been the weak spot of PC hardware adoption... it's gotta be super cheap or free to be standard. I'm pretty sure that's why we never saw firewire as a standard on PCs, even back when it was absolutely curb-stomping USB for speed.

("If I'd have actually been willing to pay for good hardware, I'd have bought a mac!")

PCs are a "commodity" product differentiated chiefly by price thus the incentive to be ever cheaper. Apple wisely, as it has turned out, has chosen not to compete in the "commodity" PC market. As a result Apple is on track to become a trillion dollar corporation in the next few years while Microsoft, Dell, et. al. are slowly but steadily declining in almost every business metric.

— Albert Einstein
Virtual1 #44707 05/25/17 07:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that's why we never saw firewire as a standard on PCs, even back when it was absolutely curb-stomping USB for speed.

I once read that FireWire never became standard because Apple wanted 50¢ per machine, and the other manufacturers balked.

artie505 #44714 05/26/17 06:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that's why we never saw firewire as a standard on PCs, even back when it was absolutely curb-stomping USB for speed.

I once read that FireWire never became standard because Apple wanted 50¢ per machine, and the other manufacturers balked.

That made for some interesting googling... found this gem:

"As prospects brighten for Apple's FireWire, formally known as IEEE 1394, the Cupertino, California, company has begun asking new licensees for around $1 "per port," according to Dick Davies, spokesperson for a trade association devoted to promoting FireWire. Only a nominal flat fee used to be charged."

source: https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-licensing-firewire-for-a-fee/

And that's why computers that have firewire have only one port, where apple computers have two. "we're not springing for that extra dollar so you can have two of them, be happy we're giving you ONE!"

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #44715 05/27/17 12:06 AM

I understand that $1/port adds up to a lot of money when you ship a lot of computers, but I wonder if the margin on PCs is so small that $1.00 makes a significant difference?

Or is this just another instance of corporate greed?

Last edited by artie505; 05/27/17 10:36 AM. Reason: expand

artie505 #44716 05/27/17 02:44 PM
OP Online

When you are selling a commodity product, like a PC, whose primary market distinction is price, 10¢ is a significant cost and $1 would be ten times more significant. That is not corporate greed that is the reality of a commodity market. It is even more crucial when the market itself is shrinking and the computer market is shrinking world wide because it has become saturated.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard