FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Organizing in Photos on iMac
#44583 05/14/17 01:11 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

With a recent upgrade to El Capitan all my photos were converted from iPhoto to Photos, and I have maintained all the original iPhoto folders and albums. However, I am now stymied as to importing photos and assigning them to albums.

In iPhoto I would simply click and drag the jpegs to the iPhoto icon in the Dock. They would appear as the last entries in the main library of photos and I would just click and drag them to the desired album(s).

It appears I cannot do that anymore. Here's what happened:

1. I clicked and dragged 3 jpegs from my hard drive to the photos icon in the dock.

2. Those photos appeared in Photos in a folder under the heading "Import".

3. They are not in the "Photos" library even though Photos Help says "By default, the photos and video you import into Photos are stored in the Photos library on your Mac." (And, yes,in Preferences I have checked "Copy items to the Photo library")

4. I tried to click and drag from the folder under "Imports" to the desired album, by first selecting all 3 images. However, as soon as I try to move them, the one I click on de-selects.

5. I tried to do it one at a time, but nothing moves. (However, even if that did work, it'd be an ongoing painfully slow process with several pictures.)

Anyone know how the filing system works.....or have a good link?

Last edited by ryck; 05/14/17 03:21 PM. Reason: Question added.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Organizing in Photos on iMac
ryck #44584 05/14/17 03:27 PM

The jpegs you dragged in haven't been imported yet.

When you're in that "Import" folder, do you see "Cancel", "Import Selected", and "Import All New Photos" radio buttons in the top right corner (same as you see when you connect your camera)?

When I drag one .png to my Dock icon it winds up in "Last Import", but multiples go to "Import", and after I click on "Import All (or Selected)..." my imports move to "Last Import", from where I'm able to distribute them to various albums.

PS: Time to upgrade your sig to El Cap.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Organizing in Photos on iMac
artie505 #44585 05/14/17 07:39 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
When I drag one .png to my Dock icon it winds up in "Last Import", but multiples go to "Import", and after I click on "Import All (or Selected)..." my imports move to "Last Import", from where I'm able to distribute them to various albums.

Worked great. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: artie505
PS: Time to upgrade your sig to El Cap.

Done....along with change of email. Thanks for the reminder.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard