Terminal, flushing the DNS issue
#44527 05/07/17 04:22 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

A web company recommended I use terminal with command
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

which I get from this resource page
3. https://www.whatsmydns.net/flush-dns.html

But when I run it I get this with symbol of a key next to password.

Anyone heard of this method to help your internet run better?

Sorry, try again.
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:

So I'm lost. Thanks.

Re: Terminal, flushing the DNS issue
kevs #44528 05/07/17 04:51 PM

Did you type your password and press Return? If not, the command won't be executed.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
kevs #44530 05/07/17 08:00 PM

Jon usually remembers to mention that when you enter your password you will NOT see any indication that it's been entered.

Just paste in the command, hit "return", enter your password at the prompt, and hit "return" again.

And to answer your question, yes, flushing your DNS cache is a tried and true troubleshooting step for Internet issues.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #44531 05/07/17 10:20 PM

An alternative for the Terminal route described above is the free utility DNS Flusher. Works (at least) through Yosemite, and probably later Mac OS versions as well.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #44532 05/08/17 12:29 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon, I did the password return and it says

Macintosh-3:~ kevs$

Does that mean it was done? Not much of a confirmation. Now my internet is flushed?

Have you heard of this procedure, does it help?

Thanks ARt and Alt.
Well if one does terminal, no need for the app?

Last edited by kevs; 05/08/17 12:31 AM.
kevs #44533 05/08/17 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
...I did the password return and it says

Macintosh-3:~ kevs$

Does that mean it was done? Not much of a confirmation. Now my internet is flushed?

Seeing the prompt after hitting "enter" means that the command ran, so, yes, your DNS cache has been flushed.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
alternaut #44535 05/08/17 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
An alternative for the Terminal route described above is the free utility DNS Flusher. Works (at least) through Yosemite, and probably later Mac OS versions as well.

Never heard of the supplier (Squashed). Is the source of DNS Flusher safe and reliable? Their website isn't all that enlightening.

EDIT: Still awaiting a recommendation which doesn't contain an implicit caveat usor.

Last edited by grelber; 05/08/17 11:22 PM.
grelber #44537 05/08/17 02:13 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Interesting is says, "problems with DNS?"

This was a suggestion by a web hosting company I'm with. But... how does one even know the DNS is culprit? Can one test how your DNS is doing? Maybe the DNS is fine.

That said, the app is no better than terminal?

grelber #44544 05/09/17 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Never heard of the supplier (Squashed). Is the source of DNS Flusher safe and reliable? Their website isn't all that enlightening.

DNS Flusher is a free utility originally made for Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4) by Maza Digital. I have been using it ever since, currently on Yosemite. FWIW, in my hands its use has always been seamless and without problems.

Squashed Software (previously Maza Digital) closed shop a few years ago, because the developer no longer had the time to support its apps properly. The website is still up, however, and all apps (mostly updated to Mavericks) are now free; general licenses for the originally paid apps are posted (see link above).

alternaut moderator
alternaut #44545 05/09/17 04:43 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks A, but what is the point? Terminal, paste one sentence and click enter, and password...

alternaut #44547 05/09/17 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: grelber

DNS Flusher is a free utility originally made for Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4) by Maza Digital. I have been using it ever since, currently on Yosemite. FWIW, in my hands its use has always been seamless and without problems.
Squashed Software (previously Maza Digital) closed shop a few years ago, because the developer no longer had the time to support its apps properly. The website is still up, however, and all apps (mostly updated to Mavericks) are now free; general licenses for the originally paid apps are posted (see link above).

Many thanks. I'll give it a whirl (especially since I don't like futzing around in Terminal).

kevs #44549 05/09/17 06:08 PM

Thanks A, but what is the point? Terminal, paste one sentence and click enter, and password...

I just used it. It took less than a second to double-click on the app, flush the DNS cache and confirm such. (No other diddling around and no password required.) That alone is worth "the price of admission".

kevs #44550 05/09/17 07:42 PM

The point is that there are MANY people, case in point, grelber, who are reluctant if not afraid to venture into Terminal.

DNS Flusher is far from unique in providing a GUI for functionality that would otherwise require using Terminal.

artie505 #44552 05/09/17 10:06 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ok good, I don't like terminal anymore than anyone else!

kevs #44553 05/09/17 10:32 PM

I was really apprehensive about using Terminal in my early Mac days, but I've learned that with some care - I never enter a command other than by copy & paste. - it's not the least bit daunting.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard